• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nido Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kine

Whatev
Years
  • Come on, people. These are good topics. =P If you want to jump in on some intellegent debate, get in here. I won't waste time with shallow stuff.

I say I just do what I did with the Gardevoir club years back and turn this into a fan works club. Let's just draw stuff or find drawings of stuff.

And while I'm good for that, now's not the time. I mean, it's about time for me to get to bed so I can go to work tomorrow without feeling tired.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years
  • Lemme pull a topic that ain't quite a topic but might be considered one.

There are various natures to associate to Pokémon, but which do you think apply better for Nidos? As in, some natures don't really seem very appropriate to some Pokémon (A Calm Dialga, ahahah, lemme laugh). Is there one that applies best, or does just about any apply?

I'll further my answer later. I mostly need this to know some parameters for a fic.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • Guess that depends. Pokemon are sentient, there's really no argument to that given so much obvious in your face proofs of it (though the level of intellegence varies). But just like some people think all Nidos are "lol dinosaurs" then there's always gonna be some misconceptions among those who don't research correctly or discredit stuff just because it doesn't match their theory.

Let's just say, though that Pokemon are only slightly more intellegent than normal animals. Then yes, certain natures would almost dominate the species. Nidorino, for example, would always be irate by default. Like any animal that's quick to attack (the only example I can thing of off hand is Yellow Jackets because I hate them, but that's just hive mindedness on their part, really).

So, since there is no "irate", I'd go with any combination of Adamant/Hasty/Impish/Rash. Nidoqueen, being maternal to a fault, probably Careful, which would also describe Nidoran male since all the Pokedex can do is talk about how big his ears are. =P

Now, looking at it again with the knowledge that even the lowest Pokemon has something similar to human conscienceness (example: Caterpie. Exceptions may be reserved for the extremely stupid creatures), even if minimal, they aren't entirely subject to all being the same way. A lot of it could do with how they were raised, though. I can see wild Pokemon being different than domesticated, sentient or not, because there's still a survival of the fittest deal going on. When everything's provided to them, the way they grow up is usually reflected in the way they were raised (or abandoned), much like a child.

So, on that note, they could essentially have any nature. I wouldn't, however, put it past them to still instinctively have a character trait that relates to the rest of the species, no matter how dormant, even if you raised the creature to think it was something else entirely. But then again, maybe not. An extremely absent-minded Nidoran probably wouldn't have that careful nature, and if he tries crossing a street playfully not minding oncoming traffic, well, that's the end of him.

So, while that may or may not answer the topic, it's still pretty interesting to discuss. Unfortunately I doubt anyone else will jump in on this.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • I, well, kinda jumped on this.

I know I have been fatally absent, and if others wouldn't have done their share in keeping this group alive I'd not be here today. So thanks for that and sorry that I'm not much of a help or collaboration as I'd like.

So, I just got back here and noticed the discussion going on, about natures, trades and the like.

As for natures, Kine essentially narrows it down in the second paragraph, spot-on. The thing about "natures" or "behaviours" it they can be called that is that they have to be enforced by both genetic pruning and teaching for them to be effective. In the same way an absent-minded Nidoran won't get past the street, Careful Nidoran will eventually survive and breed, and teach their offspring to be careful. An absent-minded Nidoran would have to be a consequence of something particular going on in the environment, such as the sudden construction of a Team Evil base in the vicinity of their den, which sparks their curiosity.

That said, I'd rather like to think more about natures as a "state of mind" than a "hardwiring of thought". Although once captured a Careful Nidoran won't have to be that much careful anymore, since food and shelter are provided, their natural/acquired need to be careful means their energy and attention need to be redirected to something else.
    They'll end up being very leery on battles and gradually be more prone to full-fledged, largely disabling attacks since whereas their natural instinct would tell them to run, once in battle they're forced to stay (and ideally win) and they'll naturally try to minimize presence of threat, the most direct way being "removing threat from battlefield as early as possible" or something to that effect; in a similar way, maybe they turn more kinky towards mates, since they'll be in need to remain as the focus of attention to have competitors stay at at "arms length" where they can watch what's going on; or they'll end up as a sort of "Nidoran walks you" kind of companion once they gain confidence, experience, and maybe return with their trainer to a known habitat, since they will naturally believe that they "know better". All in all, behaviours that do not directly translated as "being careful" but are rooted in the same basic instinctive premise, just tweaked and adapted around for their current environment.

That and I'd personally like to see a Modest-natured or Lax-natured Nidorino. They just have the look for it. :D

I'm almost sure I do not have much that I can contribute to this group... I still draw humans as stick figures so art is out of question; if he group topics moved to game-related themes the only think I'd have to talk about would be my trusty Nidorino in LG; so far it seems that for me taking part in debates and discussions is the way to go.

I could write a fanfic about Nidos since that's the sort of thing almost never seen, but that would take quite some time. I have a Nido in one of my fics, but I have yet to develop the trainer's character and make him actually appear in the story... :knockedou -- I'll try to be more active or at least check that this is being run every once in a while, though. And do some promotion where I can.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • Lax Nidorino, eh? Can't say that's an entirely new concept. *ahem* >_>

But anyway, yeah, natures probably are states of mind, considering most of them don't seem all like inherent traits. For example, a modest person could essentially become a jerk@$$ if he comes into a lot of fame and fortune too soon.

So it does seem pretty "subject to change". But, mostly I was thinking in terms of something raised since birth, not so much when they're already grown. Not that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but like everything that reaches past a certain age, some things just become pretty set in. Unless it's a person who's so flaky that they change their mind about everything once anybody says something. Maybe there's Pokemon like that. But I would almost believe it would have to be trainer raised by a similar person to be that superflous.

Then again, some Pokemon seem to be smarter than they're trainer. I mean, Pikachu always came off as much more brilliant than Ash. Oy, that kid. Some Pokemon are dumber, heck even compared to the rest of the species, take Misty's Psyduck. But overall, they seem to have a strong loyalty to their trainers, no matter who they are. And you see this kind of thing in Team Rocket centric episodes.

This makes me wonder that if Ash had Psyduck instead, would anything ever get done? Heheh, I joke. Psyduck's not that stupid. ;)

Anyway, like I said before, these are good topics. I think more people need to say their piece. As far as art goes, I've been too busy to just draw anything lately. That, and if I'm the only one doing it, it kinda defeats the purpose of being fun to do in a fan club setting (I can draw for myself in real life, or just put up various Nido art on AB). I mean, I draw enough Nido fan art as it is, and have been doing so for years. I think we're all pretty clear that that much has been established.

Now, if I was drawing to accompany something, that's different. But I can't say I have that kind of time, especially if it were consistant.

Talking about games is really thin as it is, because what more can you say than "I have a Nido[suffix] at [level] in [game]"? That's kinda how all Pokemon talk about the games is. Not really interesting unless you're around people who like talking stats.

So stuff like this, I can appreciate.

D. Lawride

Years
  • Talking about games is really thin as it is, because what more can you say than "I have a Nido[suffix] at [level] in [game]"? That's kinda how all Pokemon talk about the games is. Not really interesting unless you're around people who like talking stats.

So stuff like this, I can appreciate.

Not really. I'm not really into competitive - as I mentioned, I'm more of a collector - but the talk about the game's isn't quite resumed to that.

Conveniently, I'd actually say Nidorino was one of the most useful Pokémon to go through trainers (Horn Attack ftw :p) in Blue and Red, for example. And you could get it early in the game, too. Not even mentioning the level, that is, nor the stats, nor the levels.

Then again, its applyable to any Pokémon, so I gotta hand it, all the conversation is about stats. <.<

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
  • I have always considered the Nido's a nice early choice and one of my failed forum/RP ideas was of a site that would of been known as "The NidoCafe". Alas like many of my ideas it was never expanded and now occupies the dustbin of my mind.

Anyways, I do like Nidoqueen, so if this club is still alive I'd like to join.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • Nah, it's not dead AFAIK, I'm just tired of taking responsibility for someone else's premature decisions. I check the club now and then, but I don't expect myself to have to come up with Nido stuff ALL the time.

Kinda like, if others don't bother, why should I (exception being AB, in that I have to do things beyond the norm. I just...do. Nidos need something to make up for the lacklusterness the official stuff provides =/)?

So, yeah I'd say you're both in the club just by virtue of showing interest. Just be sure to do or say some interesting things, it should really be a group effort.

D. Lawride

Years
  • Wow, some new members! :D

So, lemme make a topic here:

In a more real-worldly based Pokémon world (because you don't fish Gyarados and Nido Pokémon aren't that frequently mentioned in the anime D: ), where do you think the Nido Pokémon fit in? Their roles in something like an ecosystem, for example.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • Supposedly they live in plains/savannas, so Africa? Sounds about right for Nidorino and the higher stages.

Nidoran can actually be found early in Kanto, though, so I assume Nidorans male and female, along with 'Rina wouldn't be that much different than wild rabbits, just scattering when you get close enough. Nidorino is atypical, because it chooses fight over flight. I don't see field, garden or city park Nidoran evolving too much. City Nidorino are probably dangerous and you'd have to call animal control to deal with them (that or, due to location, they act differently than say, African Nidorino. Afterall, squirrels and birds in the city are a lot more used to human interaction and are less likely to get away/more likely to approach).

It's hard to say what part the final stages play. Micro godzillas, I dunno. Whatever the case I see them being family oriented and living probably near mountains, a crater or around a museum, because I dunno where else you're going to get space rocks.

D. Lawride

Years
  • I'd prairies would be the most acceptable one. Judging their rabbit-ish origin, I mean. Even though I did place them Nidos in a coastal-desert region in a hack.

In real-world terms, Nidoran evolution line would probably live in the savannas in Africa, and as you mentioned, they would probably be more "tame" than a city specimen.
    Although you could imagine most forest would be inhabited by them too.

The "monarchic" evolutions would probably play a part of ancient civilization. I mean, don't they evolve only using a Moon Stone in the games? Transporting it to the real world, you could imagine that not every Nidorino/a can reach that last stage. Instead, it becomes something like a neo-legendary.

Okay, I'm exaggerating a little... xD

Chickenbits

GiantMonsterLover
    Years
  • cool group :D I'd like to join :3

Favourite Nido: Nidoking <3 It's baragon... in pokémon! now with tyranitar and nidoking, we can play out an actual Godzilla movie <3

nidorina

Ash Ketchum groupie~1998♥
    Years
  • I'd like to join too :D
    My favorite Nido should be pretty obvious, but if not, it's Nidorina. :3

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • ^ Heh, I got that much considering use of a frame from a gif I made years ago.

Yeah, join the club, people. The more the merrier (and the less I have to to do).

But, back to the topic (sorta), I like the idea of the final stages being sort of legendaries in and of themselves, but I guess that'd be true of all Moon Stone evolutions, except maybe Clefable. They already come from space and probably have hordes of it. Maybe moon rocks aren't as rare as I think, if Clefairy are bringing them to Earth. But even so, they've still got to be pretty darn hard to come by. I'm also certain people would be manipulating their rarity on sites like EBay for people who gotsta have a Nidoqueen/king the moment their Nidoran evolves [insert a rolleyes here]. Just like how everbody bought the PS3 on it's overpriced debut rather than banding together and telling Sony to shove it, essentially forcing them to lower prices. Why do people get the "gotta haves"? '~'

A tangent but the point remains, people would definately buy a million dollar moon stone.

D. Lawride

Years
  • I can almost picture the police investigating the traffic of Moon stones around the world. xD

You could be right in the part where most Pokémon who evolve with the Moon Stone would become "legendaries", if it weren't for the fact that you can count by the fingers the number of Pokémon that evolve with the Moon Stone.

Skitty and Delcatties are household pets, per say, and making a household pet a legendary isn't really... hum... orthodox. Clefables are beings from da moon, and you mentioned the reason already. That leaves the Nidos and Wigglytuff.
    Now entering the aspect field.
    Seriously, what's best looking for a Legendary? A bouncing fur balloon or a dinosaur looking beast?
    Besides, following the Pokédex, Wigglytuff's fur is "expensive". That makes them more of a reason for more traffic than to become a legendary.

There, spontaneous theorizing. :p

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • Awesome. This is now the Moon Stone thread.

I didn't know Wigglytuff's fur was expensive, let alone had any at all, must be a new entry of the latest generation. Oh, that puts a whole new spin on Moon Stone black markets and EBay auctions. Oh man, these things will bring out the worst in humanity, probably more than Black Friday. =P

Sadly, this pushes Nidos even further into unimportant, now Moon Stones are being bought solely to fleece Wigglytuffs. Oy, and I thought Jigglypuff was popular before. Really makes you think if, in real life, certain Pokemon would kind of be off limits, or just allowed only in specific areas, maybe like chinchillas.

As for Skitty, well, I can see people who buy them and Snubbull (aka those who are rich enough already if not lacking monetary disipline) would be the same ones who could afford a Moon Stone just so they can walk around town showing off their high class Delcatty. But it being a legendary? Nah, more of a rarity for show. So, I guess that does make Nidos and Clefairies the legendary ones (Clefable being "legendary" not so much by rarity but by being an otherworldly creature, and you know how humans are about life on other planets). And the Nidoroyals aren't really all that tall, but they look like they mean business and have the strength to back it up. Not to say their aren't any exceptionally tall or short ones. Like humans, we already know that Pokemon can vary in size, more so than a common animal such as a sparrow. But more often than not, the average size is basically the one you'll find most often.

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
  • I guess you can sign me up too, I think nidoking owns. Ya know something weird, in pokemon stadium even though nidoking looks like he should be a big and intimidating he's actually real small compared to the others, seriously he's shorter than jynx for god's sakes!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back