• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen night, day, and time

Nashton

A Trainer Of Great Skill.
    Years
    is it just me or does night, day, and time not as great as in gold sliver and crystal...?

cuz i was playing pearl and i was able to find pokemon that you would think would only come out durring the day, come out quite often at night.

i remember in gold you would wait all day looking for that pokemon that was only late night or get up earily on monday to see what was in the underground goldenrod that day.
    and getting angry when you forgot all about the bugcatching contest on tuesday because you REALLY want a syther and to evo it to siczor

there was more of a sence of time in the G/S/C series

but what say you on this topic. agree? disagree?

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
    Years
    I find it stupid that you can find zubat and hoothoot during the day, and starly and bidoof at night. That's really dumb. I liked in g/s you could only get them in one part of the day...

nssfleahedgehog

Master of the W Universe
    Years
    Yeah, there isn't much specific-time-of-day stuff in DP. Mainly just fighting Joggers and Policemen. A Pokemon that does appear differently at different times is Kricketot. It's common at night, occasional in the morning, and unavailable during the day.

What really bugs me is how they changed the timings for morning, day, and night from GSC. Night used to start at 6PM, now it's at 7 or 8. So that's aggravating.

Nashton

Years
    and the days of the week i loved that too it was great and events at certain times like capturing lapras if i remember correctly

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    The night/day feature was really only added for Diamond & Pearl to justify the Umbreon/Espeon evolutions, and many other things.

I'm sure in later games it will be fixed up.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I find it stupid that you can find zubat and hoothoot during the day, and starly and bidoof at night. That's really dumb. I liked in g/s you could only get them in one part of the day...

what are you talking about? Starlies and Bidoofd are found almost everywhere during the day...for me I only see hoothoot and zubat out and about in the grass during the night......

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I agree, the day and night thing is kind of weird in D/P. Plus not many different pokemon come out at the different times. like in crystal version in the morning u would catch a pidgey, then day time u catch a spearow, then at night there are hoothoots, and I think they did better job in those versions than in D/P...

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    Yeah, there isn't much specific-time-of-day stuff in DP. Mainly just fighting Joggers and Policemen. A Pokemon that does appear differently at different times is Kricketot. It's common at night, occasional in the morning, and unavailable during the day.

What really bugs me is how they changed the timings for morning, day, and night from GSC. Night used to start at 6PM, now it's at 7 or 8. So that's aggravating.

I believe that is because there are four timestages in D/P/P. G/S/C only had Morning, Day and Night, while Gen IV has evening in there as well.

And I agree, for reasons I can't quite fathom, I preferred the day/night system in Gen II.

Thunderphoenix

Dog-Pokemon Lover
    Years
    I agree, for whatever reason I like the older generation's night and day system more too. The one for D/P/P is okay but for every step up from the old one there also seems to be a step down.

If that makes sense. >.>;

Nashton

Years
    I agree, for whatever reason I like the older generation's night and day system more too. The one for D/P/P is okay but for every step up from the old one there also seems to be a step down.

If that makes sense. >.>;

lol yeah i understand what you mean

in my opinon G/S/C was the peak of pokemon

now they just made it preety and added wifi and double battles, woo...! >_>

gen II really made you think "if they did this what if they added this too"

you hoped that they would just build and build and build

but for example like from gen II to III they took out the night and day and time exclusive pokemon. That just tore it down!

i know all of you thought when R/S was coming out it would still have night and day but make it even BETTER than before.

I know I did

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Yeah like most bug pokemon should come out at night only and zigzagoon.

Pharue

Breeder, EV'er... and more?
    Years
    I'd have to agree... I mean, there's the Drifloon thing on Friday... umm... not much else I can think of as for days of week. As for the time thing, starting so much later annoyed me enough to change the actual time on my DS to an hour later... even then, though, there's a whole lot of things that could've been added to it. Oh, and the one restaurant being closed at night... meh.

Nashton

Years
    I'd have to agree... I mean, there's the Drifloon thing on Friday... umm... not much else I can think of as for days of week. As for the time thing, starting so much later annoyed me enough to change the actual time on my DS to an hour later... even then, though, there's a whole lot of things that could've been added to it. Oh, and the one restaurant being closed at night... meh.

i totally forgot about the whole driffloom thing on fridays

the funny thing was i NEVER saw one untill the end of the game after i beat the E4.

that was the only one i never saw LOL!

Years
    It seems like they tried to use the days a little more in Platinum, with certain trainers in certain PokéCenters on certain days, but that's far from what it could be. The Pokémon Catching Contest in Gold/Silver definitely brought an interesting and entertaining tradition that always kept you interested in what day of the week it was. I also remember waiting until night time to catch Hoot Hoot and Spinarak, while like foullump said, in Diamond/Pearl there seems to be less use of this. Of the 493 Pokémon there are maybe 5(?) that are only caught at night.

Something about Gold/Silver made the entire generation seem godlike. I'm not sure if it's just the plethora of new features brought to Pokémon or what, but GameFreak knew what they were doing back then.

8th Wonder™

റിപ്പബ്ല? ??ക്ക്
    Years
    I don't really care about day/night (I know in GSC it's simpler)... what I really love though are the days of the week.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I disagree...the DP one is so much better!! The only problem is that the Redness time comes like 1:00 2:00 in the morning or so...:(

Back