• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nightfall Turbo

PKMN Trainer Silver

PKMN Master
    Years
    Hey guys, so I just got back into the game with some friends, and we're probably just going to stay in the Heart Gold/Soul Silver Expansion Sets (HG/SS, UL. UD. TU, etc), but I still want to get advice about making a deck since it's been at least 10 years.

Right now all I have are the Nightfall and Daybreak theme decks, and a few cards I picked up from boosters. I like the Dark/Steel concept since they are my favorite types in the game, so I want to stay somewhat geared towards that. Note that I don't have a lot of these cards yet.

Pokemon (20):
    4x Umbreon
    4x Eevee (w/ Call For Family)
    2x Skarmory
    1x Houndoom [Prime]
    2x Houndour
    2x Scizor [Prime]
    2x Scyther
    1x Dudrio
    2x Duduo

Alright so for the Pokemon in my deck. Umbreon is my main Poke, I'm using Regular over Prime for Moonlight Fang which can cripple Scizor Primes that attempt to sweep or anyone else with a Poke Power/Poke Body. I choose this Eevee so I could use Call For Family and search out Scyther and Skarmory faster. Skarmory lets me go into my deck and pull Metal/Sp. Metal Energy for Scizor. Houndoom Prime's Poke Power inflicts burn on a coin toss, which makes for great bench support and he can be a pain later on. Scizor Prime is my sweeper, with the Sp. Metal energies, I can keep him around for long to the point where minor attacks or even most Psychic attack are useless other than for their effect. Also Red Armor keeps Sp Energy pokes off the field or to where they can't do very much. Lastly I chose Dudrio for his Poke Body which lowers my retreat so that I will almost never pay retreat costs while I have Dudrio on the field.

T/S/S (20):
    4x Team Rocket's Trickery
    4x Interviewer's Questions
    2x Professor Oak's New Theory
    3x Pokemon Communication
    2x Poke Ball
    3x Energy Exchanger
    2x Life Herb

I had to think a while about my Trainers and Supporter cards. I use Team Rocket since it's a Bill with the added bonus of making your opponent discard a card which can ruin strategies. Interview's Questions let me tap into my Energy if I'm low. Professor Oak is about the same except I can get new cards or refill my hand. Pokemon Communication lets me switch Pokes if I need to, while Poke Ball lets me search them on a coin toss. Energy Exchanger is the Energy form of Poke Communication and Life Herb is my only way of healing, but it's on a coin toss.

Energy (20):
    4x Sp. Darkness Energy
    5x Darkness Energy
    4x Sp.Metal Energy
    5x Metal Energy
    2x Double Colorless Energy

Sp. Dark increase my Dark Pokes attack power, while Sp. Metal increase the amount of hits my Metal Pokes can take, the rest is self explanatory.
    Total Card Count: 60

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    I didn't much look at how your pokes are going to work together, that takes a long time to make suggestions on. I might later, if you seem to appreciate this suggestion.
    Something that will put you above your friends is trainers and really, the ones you're using could be enhanced. The cards I suggest will just use HG SS, etc. cards.
    Personally,

- Take out the pokeballs. They're unreliable and really pretty useless.
    - Put 4 pokemon communications in your deck (They're the best poke searches within HG/SS)
    - I won't say how many, that's something you'll have to fine tune to your deck. But put some pokemon collectors in your deck, 3 or 4 of them. They'll let you get set up and then you can use elms to get your evos. This brings us to...
    - 4 professor elms training methods... They're the best evo searches... obviously. I also... yeah. Don't necessarily follow the numbers, I realize I just put them to stress their usefulness.

Alright.
    I'm willing to dive into your deck, but I guess I'd need to hear back from you and know you actually will check this.

Basically though.
    There are better cards out there for the cards you are using.
    Namely, the pokeball.
    It is dwarfed in comparison to poke communication and collector and prof elm.
    Also... I think life herb isn't very useful, but I'm a player who tends to favor certainty over chance like that. Taking luck out, is part of strategy, it is actually the point of strategy.
    I don't know how often you play TCG, but really, healing isn't necessarily that important. It depends on the deck again though.
    I dunno.

Years
    Healing is actually better utilized as a PokeBody like on the Rising Rivals Nidoqueen as opposed to in the form of trainers trainers. Super Scoop Up, though kinda flippy, can be your best friend when you want to save a prize. Not necessarily worth using a card spot on.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    Considering what I've seen at my local League, you seem to have an off balanced mix of two decks that can do well depending on the build and the player. The two decks are Umbreon and Scizor and yours seems to lean towards the Umbreon deck rather than a Scizor build. Now, I don't know the exact build for the Umbreon based decks that I've come up against, but I can help give you an idea of the sort of cards you'd see within one.

Firstly, I don't think I've seen any deck that purely uses 4 Umbreon, regardless of the expansion they're from. It's a common occurrence for there to be at least an Espeon Prime in a deck as it allows a wider coverage when it comes to the Undaunted Umbreons Moonlight Fang (which can be a formidable attack if facing a deck unprepared for it). Going off a purely instinctive build, if you wanted a fair number of the Undaunted Umbreons and access to free retreat, a build that might be worth trying is 4x Eevee, 3x Umbreon (UD) 1x Umbreon (MD) and 1x Espeon Prime. This allows you to have the Prime and regular Umbreon attacking, whilst the Majestic Dawn Umbreon allows you free retreat and no weakness, should you need it.
    Another thing I've seen put in with these decks is the regular Houndoom as well as the prime from Undaunted. It's attack for 1 energy allows it to do either 20 damage or, if there's a fighting/ground typed pokemon in play, an impressive 80 damage, whilst it's other attack can hinder an opponents hand. Mixed with the Prime, possibly in something like a 3-2/1 line (3 houndour, 2 basic houndoom and 1 prime) it can sit comfortably as a reserve attacker should Umbreons Moonlight Fang be unable to hold the opponents pokemon at bay.
    Other cards you could consider might include, Sneasel from Undaunted for it's formidable beat up attack and Seekers/Super Scoop Ups. The Seeker holds the advantage over Super Scoop Up as it's a reliable card, however it is a supporter meaning you wouldn't be able to use any decent draw card that turn. But they both allow you to possibly return an injured pokemon back to you hand as well as all cards attached to it, allowing you to replace it without damage.

Obviously, following some of the advice I've given and the advice of the other posters, you'd remove a decent amount of cards from your deck which would allow more staple trainers/supporters and additional dark energy. The more stapled trainers/supporters that you should also consider placing in the deck, if possible, include Pokemon Collector, Broken Time-Space, Bebe's Search and some form of discard recovery cards (Palmers Contribution/Flower Shop Lady).

Hope I helped somewhat.

Back