• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NikNaks' DPPt-style Badge Tutorial (image heavy)

Years
Someone was wondering how to make pixelled badges, and as I can't explain properly with words, thought a tutorial with images might be easier. Hopefully it's helpful and not too confusing, but as it's my first, please feel free to ask questions or suggest improvements.

----

You'll need Paint.NET for this tutorial. It's free and brilliant for spriting, so if you don't already have it, I recommend it thoroughly. I'm sure these techniques can be applied in other programs, though.

So, for starters, you'll want to open the Base.pdn file attached to this post. You'll want to work on the empty Pattern layer.

1.png

Awesome.

Now, you need to draw the basic shape of your badge. This needs to be pixellated, so either use the pencil, or the brush tool, but make sure that antialiasing is disabled, like so:

AntiA.png

Then, draw your shape. It can go anywhere on the square, but make sure to leave at least four pixels on each edge. You'll see why this is important later.

2.png

Done.

Now, take the magic wand tool (it's selected in the previous image) and select the transparent area around your design. It should look something like this:

3.png

Then, follow the menus in the next image to find Outline Object.

4.png

Pick any colour you like (red is bright and I haven't already used it, so it seems a good choice) and make sure that the Radius is set to 2 and the Strength is set to 10. Then, hit OK.

5.png

That done, select the transparent area again using the magic wand:

6.png

Repeat the process of Outline Object, but this time use the default black, or at least a different colour from before. Then, select the red using the magic wand.

7.png

If you find that it selects part of your design as well, make sure to move the Tolerance slider down to zero so that only one colour is selected. Then, just hit the Delete key to remove it.

8.png

You might notice that I've changed the black to the correct outline colour. To do that, select the bottom layer using the Layers window, and use the dropper to select the colour. Then, go back to the top layer, and use the fill tool.

Now it's time to shade our badge. To do this, go to the middle layer, Background, and choose the magic wand tool. Then, while holding Shift, click on one of the white diagonals. This should select all of them. Then, go back to the top layer.

9.png

Now, switch to the dropper tool, and choose one of your colours. Then, hit More on the Colours dialog and mess with the Lightness and Saturation sliders until you find a suitable colour. Then switch to the fill bucket again (you should still have the bands selected from before), and holding Shift, click on an area of the original colour. Repeat this for each colour, and it should turn it into something like this:

10.png

Flatten the image, as shown, and then, using the magic wand, with the tolerance slid up to around 30, select the outer blue and white area. Hit delete, and you should be left with this:

11.png

Now hit save and your PNG should look something like this:

FinishedProduct.png

Reck

?????
Years
  • Age 29
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Very nice tutorial, but I'm guessing it would be more difficult to make a more sophisticated design? Like for example, say I'm making a fire badge and wanted to add a fire like texture to it, how could this be done? (I'm not very familiar with this program as I usually use ms paint) or perhaps making a more detailed badge, is that easily done? I'm actually planning on maybe starting a game this summer, lol, but anyway it was a nice tutorial.

Years
I tried making a badge. Didn't bother with a fantastic design, but did give it an irregular shape to see how it would turn out. I also used photoshop since that's what I have.

90cdqh.png

It's not bad. I'm not really familiar with DPPt so I don't know how it compares. One thing I notice is that you end up with outlines that don't quite match the shape you start with. That's just what happens when you outline an object enough times. They become more squarish each time. You also seem likely to get outlines that vary how thick they look on the curved parts.

This would probably be great to make a lot of badges quickly. If I were going to continue on the one I made I'd be doing some touch-ups by hand though since I feel like it needs them.

Years
Very nice tutorial, but I'm guessing it would be more difficult to make a more sophisticated design? Like for example, say I'm making a fire badge and wanted to add a fire like texture to it, how could this be done? (I'm not very familiar with this program as I usually use ms paint) or perhaps making a more detailed badge, is that easily done? I'm actually planning on maybe starting a game this summer, lol, but anyway it was a nice tutorial.
DPPt style doesn't really account for textured shapes. They're very much designed to be big washes of colour, but you could probably try something more complicated without the diagonal shading and see if that looks good. ^_^

I tried making a badge. Didn't bother with a fantastic design, but did give it an irregular shape to see how it would turn out. I also used photoshop since that's what I have.

90cdqh.png

It's not bad. I'm not really familiar with DPPt so I don't know how it compares. One thing I notice is that you end up with outlines that don't quite match the shape you start with. That's just what happens when you outline an object enough times. They become more squarish each time. You also seem likely to get outlines that vary how thick they look on the curved parts.

This would probably be great to make a lot of badges quickly. If I were going to continue on the one I made I'd be doing some touch-ups by hand though since I feel like it needs them.
The outlines do end up a bit blocky, so I'll probably add something at the end about that, as you suggested. There are also a couple of nuances with outlining the shapes themselves and adding some antialiasing to the edge that I need to add. Anyway, thanks for giving it a go! ^_^

I can't find Objects>Outline Objects. I'm using version 3.5.8
Are you sure? According to the site, it was added with version 2.0, but I'm not 100% sure.

Years
That's very strange. I think "Tools" should also be there. Hm. Try reinstalling, and if that doesn't work, I'll try to find an alternative plugin that works.

Back