• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo running out of ideas?

Years
    Please.

Whenever a new generation comes out on the shelves, there's always a group of people who think the new designs are horrible.

Do this:

1) Open up
    2) Adapt to the foreign
    3) Grow with the experience
    4) Start liking it

And Voilá! You've stopped disliking the new design.

Please consider quit playing the new pokémon games if you're gonna whine on the horrible new designs in every single new game.

You sir, have won this thread. And what's wrong with the new ones? Some are ugly? So, look at Jynx.

Fantomix

^^^^^^^^^
    Years
    Does anyone remember that really lame fad from a while ago called Zoids? Where the people had the big robotic cats and tigers and stuff and battled with them? I looked at Dialga and Palkia and thought "Yup, Zoids." :P But honestly, I think this generation of Pokemon is one of the worst and the games are also pretty bad. But I like Drifloon and Platinum looks AWESOME so I guess that might make up for it. :P

DJ Lorik

Honey, I just forgot to duck.
    Years
    Personally, even though there are some pretty lame Pokemon and story lines, I am still amazed that they have been able to keep it all up for this long. They must have like 1000 writers coming up with ideas heheh

UberChomp

Tyrant Of The Sand
    Years
    On the contrary, a lot of the Sinnoh Pokemon have quickly become some of my favorites as far as design goes. Leafeon, Glaceon, Happiny, Glameow, Riolu, Manaphy, etc.

When Gold and Silver first came out, I was unhappy with the Johto designs. I thought they didn't look anything like Pokemon, but I gave it some time and after finally playing the game(and collected the cards) I changed my mind.

I was, however, a little disappointed that so many of the D/P Pokemon were just new evolutions of old pokemon. I hope they come out a new type of evolution in the future. I remember the excitement when I first heard about pre-evolutions. The next game definitely needs something new to work with, at least I think so anyway.

Happiny is amazingly cute, and this is coming from a guy. lol. I would love to have one in real life, I would squeeze it constantly and carry it around with me wherever I go.

Swampert 22

Is making tools for you...
    Years
    The reason for the Pokémon seeming different from the 3rd generation onwards is because Pokémon 1-251 were designed by Ken Sugimori by himself. After Gold/Silver more people joined in which makes sense for the 'change' in monster design.

When you're used to old Pokémon, new ones are always going to look a bit dodgy, you just have to get used to them!:)

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    It doesn't mean they're running out of ideas.

There's lots more animals they could base new Pokémon on, or who says they have to be animals. Just because the designs are a bit extravagant and unique, doesn't mean they've run out of ideas. To be honest, this view annoys me. If it bothers you, you should go play some other game series, in my view.

Lith

Go, Missingno! Use- WTF BOOOOM
    Years
    But what about Bidoof? That Pokémon is like the cheapest thing ever.

HOW DARE YOU!! BIDOOF? CHEAP!!??
    RAGH!!!!!1one

Interesting...Ive heard alot of people talk about this.
    Plainly, I think all Pokemon are great in every aspect.
    Yes, Probopass has a body sized nose, but think of it abilitys and such.
    Game Freak have more ideas up there sleave as UberChomp said.

I agree with DeanoDance, play another game series if it bothers you so.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I think Nintendo has being running out of ideas since the N64 and the release of uncountable Mario spin offs.

I don't generally think the new pokemon are reflective of this though, and with the exception of a few God awful critters (Spiritomb, Garchomp etc) they done an ok job with the fourth gen. However, I think it's safe to say they're pushing it with the same repetitive formula every game.

invisible-chan

~Pocky Goddess~
    Years
    Mm.... I'm not going to say much on this. Several Pokemon weren't original in the first place, but that doesn't stop me from loving them. I really hate the legendaries though. Many people will flame me for this, but I do. I hate how much bigger, and more "uber" they are becoming. There was the creator of all Pokemon, Mew; its clone, Mewtwo; and the regional elementals, the legendary birds. Next there were a phoenix and its counterpart(not quite sure how to describe them), Ho-oh and Lugia; their regional elementals, and a time-traveler. Then we have the environmental trio, and regi trio, with the Lati@s duo and a wish granter. Finally we get... a crap load of legendaries that do everything.... I'm tired of listing them. I don't know how they can get bigger in any next possible game....

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    Mm.... I'm not going to say much on this. Several Pokemon weren't original in the first place, but that doesn't stop me from loving them. I really hate the legendaries though. Many people will flame me for this, but I do. I hate how much bigger, and more "uber" they are becoming. There was the creator of all Pokemon, Mew; its clone, Mewtwo; and the regional elementals, the legendary birds. Next there were a phoenix and its counterpart(not quite sure how to describe them), Ho-oh and Lugia; their regional elementals, and a time-traveler. Then we have the environmental trio, and regi trio, with the Lati@s duo and a wish granter. Finally we get... a crap load of legendaries that do everything.... I'm tired of listing them. I don't know how they can get bigger in any next possible game....

MEW IS NOT THE CREATOR OF ALL POKEMON! IT NEVER HAS BEEN!! THIS HAS NEVER BEEN SAID IN ANY GAME OR SHOW OR MOVIE! WHERE THE CRAP IS EVERYONE GETTING THIS FROM?!!!?!?

And they don't have to get bigger. There's plenty of other interesting ideas they can come up with that don't have to "top" the previous ones.

aaronburnsyou

Hi, I'm not a pokemon.
    Years
    When I first saw the 4th gen pokemon, I thought that Game Freak's fountain of ideas was running a bit low as well. All the new evolutions to old pokemon seemed incredibly redundant, and that made up a good-sized portion of the new pokemon. However, I've been amazed by what they've been able to do with some ideas, making pokemon out of things like cherries, balloons, bee hives, LAND SHARKS, and even motors (motor backwards is rotom), and I thought the whole plot set for the 4th gen seemed incredibly fresh to the pokemon series, and the evil team actually seemed darker than the rest thus far. If anything, it seems like they've taken a big step from last generation.

But, if you don't want anymore pokemon to be created, you'll have to take your complaint up with Arceus!

EDIT: And to the post above me, about the conspiracy of Mew creating all the pokemon, everyone might just be mixing that up with Mew having the DNA of all the pokemon created.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    EDIT: And to the post above me, about the conspiracy of Mew creating all the pokemon, everyone might just be mixing that up with Mew having the DNA of all the pokemon created.

The only thing that may indicate this even, is Silver's entry.

Its DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all Pokémon, so it can use all kinds of techniques.

But even here, it's only "said" to have the DNA of all pokemon.

But let's roll with that, which would mean, as is stated in other pokedex entries, that Mew is the "ancestor" of all pokemon.

Guys. Ancestor =/= creator. That would mean that cavemen created the human race.

UberChomp

Tyrant Of The Sand
    Years
    I was really critical with the 4th gen pokemon designs in the first month of D/P release, but after I bought PBR, played competitively for about a year, I've gotten used to all of them, and now I don't hate on Probopass, Bidoof, etc.

DJ Lorik

Honey, I just forgot to duck.
    Years
    Thing is, as I've seen with basically everyone whom is a Pokemon fan, designs of the Pokemon don't matter as much as you think they do. Not to Nintendo anyways. To us it does matter, but after we get used to it as UberChomp pointed out, we tend to forget about the imperfections. But even though Nintendo could do a better job, they probably won't. Instead I'm thinking the designs will worsen time after time.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Nintendo is out of Ideas.... I say this only because the pokemon "frame" is losing originality....

Back