• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo unveils 3DS XL

bobandbill

one more time
    Years

So...what changed? Besides the super huge screen made for old people?

And no charger included....Nintendo is running out of ideas, guys.
    News to me that cutting minor costs = running out of ideas (isn't the 3d in a handheld console a not-bad idea in itself after all?). Sure, it's rather stingy there but I don't understand how it means they are running out of ideas. They're just reusing an idea that worked well for them in making money back with the DSi as Nintendo has a fairly decent casual market which includes, yes, older people. As they said, this isn't meant to be anything different from the 3ds besides the large screens.

I hope this'll lower the price of the normal 3DS so I can finally get it.
    Hasn't it been substantially cheaper since original release? =p I don't think it would really though; again, it's just like a regular 3ds, but with bigger screens.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    That's in part because the DSi was an upgrade compared to the DS (ie it could do a number of things the DS could not - eshop, camera functions, etc), while here I'm not as sure you'd necessarily see much of a change (if any) as the 3DS XL is not an upgrade to the 3DS beyond having a bigger screen for those who prefer that option.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019

So...what changed? Besides the super huge screen made for old people?

And no charger included....Nintendo is running out of ideas, guys.
    Think XanderO beat me on this one. It's just an upgrade for people who wanted a bigger screen. If you're okay with a normal 3DS then I don't see any reason to get it.

Also running out ideas? They've been doing this since the original Gameboy... (Gameboy Light if you remember?)

I'm afraid that after the Wii U.....the Pokemon franchise might be the only thing that keeps this company afloat...

Cause Mario sure ain't.
    Uh, yes. Zelda, Mario and the Mii games (Wii Sports etc) are still one of the big time sellers around. Pokemon is sort of small compared to them.
    If New Super Mario Bros Wii was a huge Wii seller, just like how NSMB was to the DS and Mario 3D Land was to the 3DS, then you can bet NSMB Wii is gonna be the killer app of Wii U.

That said, I'm also gonna bet that NSMB2 is gonna sell a lot of these 3DSXL's, being out at the same time and all.

NatureKeeper

Think XanderO beat me on this one. It's just an upgrade for people who wanted a bigger screen. If you're okay with a normal 3DS then I don't see any reason to get it.

Also running out ideas? They've been doing this since the original Gameboy... (Gameboy Light if you remember?)

Uh, yes. Zelda, Mario and the Mii games (Wii Sports etc) are still one of the big time sellers around. Pokemon is sort of small compared to them.
    If New Super Mario Bros Wii was a huge Wii seller, just like how NSMB was to the DS and Mario 3D Land was to the 3DS, then you can bet NSMB Wii is gonna be the killer app of Wii U.

That said, I'm also gonna bet that NSMB2 is gonna sell a lot of these 3DSXL's, being out at the same time and all.

Didn't the Pokémon franchise surpass the Zelda franchise in sales?

In any case, I doubt NSMB2 should enhance the 3DSXL sales. The killer booster for the 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land, was already unleashed. Most fans of the Mario franchise (unless somebody is strictly a fan of the side-scrollers) already got a 3DS, and I do not think many will buy a 3DSXL along the 3DS unless there is a need for the larger screens.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019

Didn't the Pokémon franchise surpass the Zelda franchise in sales?

In any case, I doubt NSMB2 should enhance the 3DSXL sales. The killer booster for the 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land, was already unleashed. Most fans of the Mario franchise (unless somebody is strictly a fan of the side-scrollers) already got a 3DS, and I do not think many will buy a 3DSXL along the 3DS unless there is a need for the larger screens.
    Yeah that's true, Pokemon surpasses Zelda in sales, my bad. Doesn't change that it's still one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, though.
    There's also Kirby which is a million seller franchise, and considering Donkey Kong Country Returns' big success, Nintendo will probably bring back that series too. (please please please)

I can't say I agree about that. While it's true 3D Land was the 3DS' killer app and was successful, it doesn't change anything. Mario 64 DS and Mario Galaxy were arguably more successful than 3D Land but that didn't stop the huge sales NSMB and NSMB Wii caused for the DS Lite and Wii.

PhantomTwilight

possibly sane
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Nov 9, 2014
    News to me that cutting minor costs = running out of ideas (isn't the 3d in a handheld console a not-bad idea in itself after all?).

Well its not exactly running out of ideas because of THIS per say, but because of their lack of great news throughout the years (though there were a few games like OOT 3D), then the sudden disappointment at E3.

It only makes me wonder how long they can keep this up, is all.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    *facepalm*
    I never ever liked the first XL.
    And nor will i enjoy this one. seems pointless, they're gonna get enough form the wiiU why throw another year's profit to waste when it could be spent of greater things.

NatureKeeper

Yeah that's true, Pokemon surpasses Zelda in sales, my bad. Doesn't change that it's still one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, though.
    There's also Kirby which is a million seller franchise, and considering Donkey Kong Country Returns' big success, Nintendo will probably bring back that series too. (please please please)

I can't say I agree about that. While it's true 3D Land was the 3DS' killer app and was successful, it doesn't change anything. Mario 64 DS and Mario Galaxy were arguably more successful than 3D Land but that didn't stop the huge sales NSMB and NSMB Wii caused for the DS Lite and Wii.

Super Mario 3D Land didn't hit its first anniversary yet, give it some time. xD

It would've been understandable if it boosted the DS Lite sales, but not the 3DS XL- actually, I think it would increase the 3DS sales. The DS Lite was more portable- I.E. better. Most players would prefer a more portable system as a first purchase to a larger one, IMO.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
    The way I see it as this. It is the opposite of what a lot of people I know wanted. For those who say it would be difficult to make a 3DS any smaller, I disagree. My IPhone fits in the palm of my hand and can surf the internet, I don't see why Nintendo could make the 3DS smaller. Also, I never saw the point of making a portable system large enough that it can't fit in your pocket, because isn't that the point of it being portable? So you can fit it in your pocket and take it anywhere?
    On the bright side, when this is released, the regular 3DS may have a price drop, which is good because I know some people who haven't gotten a 3DS yet because they say it is still too expensive.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The way I see it as this. It is the opposite of what a lot of people I know wanted. For those who say it would be difficult to make a 3DS any smaller, I disagree. My IPhone fits in the palm of my hand and can surf the internet, I don't see why Nintendo could make the 3DS smaller. Also, I never saw the point of making a portable system large enough that it can't fit in your pocket, because isn't that the point of it being portable? So you can fit it in your pocket and take it anywhere?
    On the bright side, when this is released, the regular 3DS may have a price drop, which is good because I know some people who haven't gotten a 3DS yet because they say it is still too expensive.

1. Your iPhone does not have 3D technology.
    2. Your iPhone only has one screen, while the 3DS has two.
    3. When the 3DS is closed, it's less than one inch longer, and about half an inch wider. It's thicker because it has to incorporate a hinge, as well as protection for the buttons when you close it so you don't crush them in transport. But as far as dimensions, it's really not significantly bigger than your iPhone.

You have to question the size of a "pocket" as well. As a woman my pockets can barely fit 2 fingers most of the time (exaggeration but you get the point, I have an iPod 4 and it doesn't fit in my average jean pocket), while my boyfriend can fit an entire graphing calculator in an average pocket of his, so obviously a 3DS would fit as well.

Nintendo stated in an interview a little over a year ago that, unlike the DS system that had open space within the system that made it possible to quickly release a Lite version, the 3DS is completely packed in using everything possible so that it can't be smaller.

Sugino: When you changed your approach and got rid of all gaps, Nintendo DS Lite was born. I think that experience can be seen in Nintendo 3DS.

Iwata: The first thing (Nobuo) Nagai-san, who's in charge at the Uji plant, said to me when he looked over the designs for Nintendo 3DS before mass production began was "This time it's fully packed right from the start."

Sugino: Oh, really? (laughs) But he was right. That's why we don't have any short-term plans for creating a more compact version of Nintendo 3DS like we did with Nintendo DS Lite. (laughs)

Iwata: Yeah. (laughs) When making Nintendo 3DS, we used all our tricks for Nintendo DS Lite—and more—for cutting down on size right from the start.
    Source

So unless you have some secret electrical knowledge that Nintendo doesn't, I wouldn't be so quick to claim they're able to make it smaller.

-----

Today I ran across a survey done in Famitsu about the 3DS XL. It said that of the people surveyed, over 50% were planning to get the new 3DS, and of that 71.7% of them already have a normal sized DS and just want the larger one. Considering how much disdain I usually hear for the XL versions of handhelds, I was pretty surprised by it, especially since Japan is getting the raw end of the deal without even having a charger packaged with it. Although I guess this goes hand-in-hand with the Japanese in general willing to spend money on their new gadgets.

(Source)

Years
    I'm also pretty surprised people would want to fork over that kind of money for a bigger version. :o

Then again, I would really like the increased battery life and such. If I could trade in my 3DS for an XL for not a crapload of money, and still be able to use the XL for Netflix, etc, I'd do it. Preferably the white or black one.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I'm also pretty surprised people would want to fork over that kind of money for a bigger version. :o

Then again, I would really like the increased battery life and such. If I could trade in my 3DS for an XL for not a crapload of money, and still be able to use the XL for Netflix, etc, I'd do it. Preferably the white or black one.
    Well, from the point of view of someone who had a DSiXL, this is a godsend. To be honest, I thought the DSiXL was ridiculous (and it costed far more compared to the DSi than the new XL does to the 3DS), and thought it was bigger screens, and no real big deal. I ended up buying one as a replacement for my broken DSi, and I've loved it ever since. Games look great and it sounds better (though the 3DSXL just has different shaped speakers). The increased battery life was nice, but the real attraction was the bigger screens, and most people really underestimate them if they haven't tried them out for themselves.

So I, personally, am going to sell my 3DS and get the XL (if I can transfer my content), and I really recommend it for anyone who has/wants a 3DS (though it's not for people who have small hands or small profits; it's a preferential thing and you won't be alienated if you don't buy them).

Back