• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No flying types

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2014
    hey everybody

have you ever noticed that there are no pure flying type pokemon
    a lot of them look like they are pure flying types like pidgeot

but look at its summary and you will see that it i a normal flying type

what are your opinions on this

i personally feel this is unfair because all the other types have at least one pure type pokemon

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    hey everybody

have you ever noticed that there are no pure flying type pokemon
    a lot of them look like they are pure flying types like pidgeot

but look at its summary and you will see that it i a normal flying type

what are your opinions on this

i personally feel this is unfair because all the other types have at least one pure type pokemon
    Sky plate arceus is pure flying

There are no pure flying types because, in my opinion, every flying type has characteristics of a second type. Normal type, for example, is largely populated by pokes modelled after simple mammals such and mice, beavers and domestic pets. Pigeot, noctowl ect are all essentially birds, which lunps them in the "simple mammals" branch, and thus gains them the normal type. The same applies for every flying type out there.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    birds arent mammals just so you know
    It doesn't matter. The normal / flying Pokemon resemble birds, and have really no other obvious power besides the ones that are inherited from real life birds. That's why they get the normal type, because they have the same "normal" powers that the real birds do.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    As said, Sky Plate Arceus is pure Flying.

From a competitive standpoint, most fliers are hurt by a lack of a flying resistance. However, it is an argument between a Fighting resist vs. a Ghost immunity (since both provide great coverage, and are often used in tandem on Choice users like Gengar), and really, I don't see the problem.

But from a conceptual standpoint, a pure flyer would be good, just for the sake of unexplored type combinations. (Can I hope for Fire/Ghost? Please? :P)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I too wonder about this... it is possibly since birds walk on the ground as well; so they have access to a wider movepool; so their type is balanced (though really, it needs unbalancing if anything, being dual Normal makes them all really weak).

Or even this: by Pokemon's creators, 'Flying' may simply be seen as a trait rather than a full-on type.

Last edited:

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    what i wanna know is if a pure flying type existed, which type would it become if it Roosted? :shocked:

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    what i wanna know is if a pure flying type existed, which type would it become if it Roosted? :shocked:

FACK.

DIVIDED BY 0.

This thread has officially been owned. :#

EDIT: WAIT
    SKY PLATE ARCEUS LEARNS ROOST
    -races to Shoddy-

EDIT2: Damn those divide by 0 checkers...Arceus can't learn Roost. >:[

Last edited:

Katana

Doin' it Katana Style!
    Years
    Har har! You want to know what happens when a Sky Forme Arceus uses Roost? Well, thanks to *coughPokesavcough* I've just created a Sky Forme Arceus w/Roost. I have yet to do some tests with it, but I'll make sure to update this post with my findings on the matter. ;)

Edit:

Alright, I've come to a conclusion. After Skye Forme Arceus pulls off a succesful Roost, its type becomes a neutral type - this type being affected x1 by all other types... so ya, nothin' too exciting.

Last edited:

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Sky Plate Arceus becomes the ??? type, shared by only Curse and Arceus's mysterious ??? Plate that was programmed into the game. It has no weaknesses or resistances or immunities, and the attacks deal neutral damage to everything.

I remember when they thought Chatot was pure flying. :x

Last edited:

Neslug

Overgrown Slug
    Years
    Sky Plate Arceus becomes the ??? type, shared by only Curse and Arceus's mysterious ??? Plate that was programmed into the game. It has no weaknesses or resistances or immunities, and the attacks deal neutral damage to everything.
    Speaking of the ??? type, I think things could get interesting if they introduced a few ??? type attacks that did damage.

A pure Flying type would be rather pointless, offering only a Fighting resistance without the Ghost immunity over Normal / Flying types.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    The introduction of ??? type moves may have a large effect over the metagame. It very possibly might imbalance the already messy metagame.

And don't forget the extra Normal type STAB. ;>

Katana

Doin' it Katana Style!
    Years
    Yep, it is indeed ??? type when it Roosts.
    Sky Forme Arc. w/successful Roost vs. Fighting-type attack = Neutral damage
    (This eliminates it being Normal, Ice, Poison, Flying, Psychic, Bug, Rock, Ghost, Dark, and Steel -type.)
    Sky Forme Arc. w/successful Roost vs. Grass-type attack = Neutral damage
    (This eliminates it being Fire, Water, Grass, Ground, and Dragon -type.)
    Sky Forme Arc. w/successful Roost vs. Electric-type attack = Neutral damage
    (This eliminates it being Electric or -type.)
    Skye Form Arc. w/successful Roost vs. Flying-type attack = Neutral Damage
    (This eliminates it being Fighting -type.)

These results account for all 17 types. Pretty much just re-confirming the confirmed. ^.^

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    This is why I like this forum.
    It reminds me of when the other forums I go on had idiots on it.

Any ways, it's because that's the rule for flying types. "No Pokemon can be first type flying." It's not a written rule but many things in Pokemon aren't written.

Back