• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Normal ain't that Normal

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Since the types don't just apply to the games, but rather the franchise overall, it's off to Pokémon General! :>

-Moved-

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Since when can Psychic type moves even hit Dark type pokemon. I think you mean Psychic-Ghost

Since when did Psychic become super effective against Ghost?

Anyway, I think normal should be split with the ??? type. It would give it a use and some pokemon could still be normal like Ambipom.

s p a c e c o w b o y

Im Part Vaporeon.....
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    Interesting idea but I agree that they're okay the way they are.

If they were to make a new type based on the likes of Porygon/2/Z perhaps they could call it 'Virtual'? But then what would it be effective against etc? Just some food for thought.

agreed. plus, nintendo isn't going to change a type of any pokemon. i'm suprised they changed Flash to a TM.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    agreed. plus, nintendo isn't going to change a type of any pokemon. i'm suprised they changed Flash to a TM.

Its been done before, changing a Pokemons type but Im sure they could atleast add the type. Also, I see Virtual being weak against a Virus type. Virtual Vs. Virus

Anyway, i think the oddball normal types should be changed to ???

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    The thing is, normal doesn't actually mean normal. It just means that those pokemon don't have a particular element that they are close to, can control, or replicate.

Years
    I think it's the point. xD
    "You might think there's nothing special about Normal Pokemon...blahblahblah...If you think these things, you're wrong! Don't let their name fool you! Normal Type Pokemon are very special."

Yep. (Don't ask me where I got that. xD)

Valeran

Miserable Memories
    Years
    .............................its pokemon... does ANY of them look normal?

Poor grammar aside, this guy has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Though some of the early Normal types could have passed for actual animals. Rattata and Pidgey, I guess.

I don't think basing a type on it's looks works very well, even it's a majority. Psychic types don't really look psychic (how does something look psychic anyway?). Probably half of the Steel types don't look like they're made of metal. Dark types aren't always dark looking. I could go on, but you get the idea!

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I agree with CrazyCubone, it should be Normal and Abnormal.

DrCoolSanta

Erode away...
    Years
    Those who are saying that the types aren't going to be changed, then when could you expect that Pokemon games would change according to a fan's thoughts?

It is rather useless thinking about it imo, pokemon are not normal anyway, and like others say normal pokemon are more like miscellanious. And I can still find something common in them. Normal and Abnormal isn't a good idea, since I can think of putting all the normal pokemon as abnormal with a reason. ??? would make Normal Pokemon equivalent to the move curse which IMO makes no sense.

Legend Of Time

The New Lord Luxray
    Years
    Normal Can Be Normal

I don't think it's necessary. Their common thing is that they haven't got another element, like fire, electric or ice and such. (except for species like Pidgey and Girafarig) And that is what makes them normal. Their main weapon is their normal type attacks. Which aren't tough enough to be called fighting type.

Ii Know Ive Taken A Quote From Early On In The Topic And It'll Probably Already Have Been Discussed But I Beg To Differ Over The Normal Moves Arent Strong Enough To Be Called Fighting, There Are Normal Moves Stronger Than Any Other Types Of Moves For Example Hyper Beam Or Double Edge? At Least I Think Thats what Its called =D

I Think In The Ends Basicly Normals Used To Describe The Moves Mainly Used And Not The Looks

Sorry For The Length

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I dont think of normal as a ordinary time, more of a other type. I mean, think about some of the pokemon with the normal type, like Porygon for example. What other type could it be? Also, what else could Lickitung be, as its not that normal. Also, the main moves which the normal type use are pretty normal (Mega Punch, Sketch) which aren't too abnormal. Besides, they'd have to make loads of types for the ones which aren't normal (lunar, virtual, tongue (:P) etc.)

Back