• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

North Korea to end Nuclear Program

Years
    Mericals do happen. Today North Korea and the United States announced an agreement to end the standoff between Washington and Pyongyang over North Korea's Nuclear Program. In exchange for closing its main nuclear plant and eventually dismantling it Atomic Weapons program. In exchange the United States is to give North Korea energy and aid. Please comment on this development.

Source:https://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/13/world/main2466658.shtml

MystiKal

from the mouths of babes
    Years
    North Korea also wants money from us for them to stop with the nukes. In my opinion I say we don't do a thing for them. When they said they were going to bomb us it was just a bluff.

Years
    How about the US stops with all their nuclear crap as well? Maybe disable most of their nukes or something. Its only fair, since apparently nobody is allowed nukes other than the US for some reason. =/
    You must be forgetting Russia, Britain, France, People's Republic of China, India, Pakistan, and more then likely Israel have nukes as well.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    You must be forgetting Russia, Britain, France, People's Republic of China, India, Pakistan, and more then likely Israel have nukes as well.

Nope, not forgetting. Just not caring. Nobody really flaunts them around as much as the US, and it's irritating. The US isn't the grand daddy of the world, and thus shouldn't pretend to be. Now I have nothing personal againt the US itself, just how they act when it comes to war and nukes. =/

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 9, 2007
    Well, i'm glad that the world is going to be a bit more safer than it was before the deal the struck!

The reason the U.S. wanted to stop N.Korea to stop them from having nukes is because its a communist dictatorship and the nukes are in the wrong hands.
    The good guys as you mentioned U.S. ,Britain etc...need nuclear weapons for its protection, thus would not use it for no reason, but N.Korea with them is a threat to the world, now they gotta sort out Iran...

We might need nukes to fire at aliens from space if they invaded us lol :P

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Nuclear warfare should never take place, ever. No one should have access to such horrible weapons. It can only end in tears and the total destruction of earth if the world governments (mainly America) doesn't realise this soon.
    I was never aware of England having any real Nuclear warheads at our disposal, if we do, we've sure kept quiet about it.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    I will admit that these talks were meant for the good of the whole world, but North Korea and the rest of the world should really be afraid of the United States. They spend more than six times on military-related expenditures than any other country in the world, and apparently more than the next top fourteen or so spenders combined.

In terms of raw power, George W. Bush is in control of at least several times more power than the combined powers of Kim Jong-il, Saddam Hussein at his peak, Osama bin Laden, and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

And the United States worries about other countries building up power...

And in the end, its the worlds biggest waste of money. If nukes can do so much damage, why the hell do they need so many? That money could be better off given to countries, hell, even their own citizens, that have incredibly low economies. Maybe they'd have less people pointing nukes at them if they shared. It's kindergarten knowledge we're talking about here. =/

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    The money that America wastes on war each year could probably sort out Africa's food and water problem for like, a decade.

Years
    This thread is getting off topic. If you want to have a general conversation on nukes, start another thread. I started this thread to have comments about the deal that was reached.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    It isn't off topic. The topic was expanded into a field that explores the opinion on the possible hypocrisy and idiocy of the US in regards to the deal and issue overall. To be considered on topic, the subject does not have to be 100% on the dot in reference to what the first post is referring to. There is room for expansion, and this isn't exactly a topic completely irrelevant to the issue at hand. The discussion that has taken place has been in reference to one side of conflict, anyone is welcome to express the other side at any time.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
    Well, apprently, The US, if they continue to grow in such a fashion, they will send out a few anti-nuke laser Satelliates, that will then make the US completely unstoppable, which is a scary thought.

So maybe the US right now are trying to lower the threat towards them while they build up their ultimate defense then go "HA!" to the world since no1 could nuke'm. Although there could be ground forces.... but they'd just get destroyed... XD

I'm not really sure if I'm happy or sad about the deal, either way, as things are going on now, i don't really care alot, but i am slightly worried about the US. And also, the only countries counted as Nuclear Nations are the U.S., North Korea (Not anymore, i guess..) and India. Thats what i was told, so correct me if im wrong, but my teacher is pretty smart so i trust her with that XD

C Sherbii S

...still trying to beat the E4
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 9, 2008
    North Korea isn't stopping their nuclear program, they are just claiming they will so the U.S. gives them money. Kim Jong Il has done this in the past, and he will do it again. It really is a smart cycle on his part, he can develop nuclear weapons and then say he won't use them...so we give him money that he can put towards his nuclear program.

In reguards to nuclear weapons in general: It is a shame that we have such powerful weapons in the world, but it is reality and is something that must be dealt with. The United States helps regulate who has nuclear weapons because we were the first country to have the weapons, and (I believe) we are the only ones to have used it. It is important that we make sure no more nuclear weapons are made, because we have so many as it is.

In reguards to war in general: Someone here mentioned that the US spends too much on war, and that money could be put to helping people in Africa or something. The US spends as much money on war as is necessary to keep its citizens safe. There hasn't been a terrorist attack on US soil since September 11, 2001. It is now February 19, 2007. It has been more than five years. The United States is a military superpower and uses its forces appropriately. Whether or not you agree with the reasons the US went into Iraq is irrelevant, the fact remains that the terrorists haven't attacked USA in over five years. It appears someone is doing their job...

Back