• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nova's Art Emporium

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
Years
  • Well I've accumulated a ton of drawing (both traditional and digital) over the past few years and I feel that I need to know how I'm doing.

• Pokemon

Spoiler:

• Fakemon

Spoiler:

• Other

Spoiler:

If you can then please give me some feedback, maybe there's something I can improve on.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Nice coloured pencil drawings. I suggest trying out more colour combinations and experimenting with a blender. If you press harder with more oily coloured pencils you can get some really neat effects with blending :)

Your fakemons seem a lot better than a lot that I've seen, seems like some originality and thought have been put into it (you know, aside from "IT WOULD BE LIKE REALLY COOL IF I COMBINED A HIPPO WITH FIRE POWERS BECAUSE IT WOULD BE SUPER COOL YEAH)

I think the one thing I'm noticing with your mons is that it seems like you're a little afraid to stray from the mainstream "Sugimori" style. Don't be! Experiment with new ways to draw Pokemon. You might be pleasantly surprised :D

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
    Years
  • It's not because I'm nervous of change that I stick to the Sugi-style it's more or less to legitimize them as realistic fakemon and also because I want to make the fangame art look like the real deal. Although I do see where you're getting at, I'll try to try out new styles (even though the lack of a tablet cripples any and all attempts).

mrcroconaw

That Croconaw
    Years
  • Your stuff rocks! The colored pencil drawings are really nice; the Squirtle family has always had a special place in my heart. :D The only problem I have with the Colored Pencil Drawings; though, is the line-art. It kind of seems a little shaky, but then again; Nice line-art with colored pencils is hard to do. :C But they're really nice, keep up the great work.

And the Scraggy with it's pants up; you made that in muro? That's awesome. :D I can't use muro lol.

The fakemon are looking really creative, and nice. They're really well designed.

And the Orange Knight; looking epic.

All in all, you're great at this; keep it up. :D

Trent_Jayir

Who the hell do you think i am
    Years
  • Cool, I really like the dunsparce evo! It's a really cool design. I'd have one haha.
    But yeah, Your stuff is nice, I like the colour pencil squirle wartortle and blastiose.
    One thing I would like to say is that your shading can be a bit confused.
    For example, the scrafty, you've coloured his head like the light is coming for high up above it to the front slightly, but the pants are coloured like it's come from directly in front of it. Maybe that's something to be a bit mroe careful of next time? :')

Anyway, other than that, good stuff!

Back