• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

* ~ November PIXEL Art Contest: RESULTS ~ *

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    Alrighty, guys and gals. Here's the results for the November Pixel Art Contest. I took the liberty of rating each of the entries and writing brief reviews. So here are the results:

(Note: Winners are free to put their trophies in their signatures, but are advised to host them themselves, instead of just eating bandwidth)

*drumroll*

Third Place Entry: ZephyrPlusle

Comments:
    Some great stuff here. The dithering on the characters is nice and the actual design of the
    characters is also pretty nice. I might have put this one in second place if not for one thing: the background. This is probably the most horrid background I have ever seen in my entire life. It's just utter garbage. It looks like you started out pretty good with dithering the sky, but then it just sort of turns into this atrocious stippling effect, and it barely implies anything that has to do with the actual theme. NEVERTHELESS, it's still pretty darn good to take all that damage and still place, so don't feel too bad.
    8/10

Second Place Entry: Dragonfree

Comments:
    Haha, really nice job here. Probably one of the best ideas I've seen in the whole contest. The lighting is great and everything looks pretty meticulously detailed. The only problem I can find is that it's really, really small and leaves me wanting more. I gotta hand it to you, though, this is pretty awesome.
    9/10

First Place Entry: Hollietree

Comments:
    Yeah, I think it was a pretty safe bet that you were going to come out on top. Wow. Wowowowowow. Just wow. This one blows all the other entries out of the water. The dithering is mind-blowing, the lighting effects just rock my socks off, and the character design is almost spot on. You win at life. Fabulous job. I'm glad I made this a pixel art contest.
    10/10

Other Entries

Pikafirefight
    It's an interesting piece, and the shading is fairly okay, but it's sort of difficult to tell what it
    is. In fact, if you hadn't said so in the image, I wouldn't have known what it was at all. My guess would have been a bunch of snails in gelatin form. It adheres to the theme all right, but in a pretty unorthodox way. This isn't the problem, though. The real problem is that there just really isn't enough there.
    6/10

Darkstrike
    Yeah, uhh, this is really, really basic. It might be a little bit too basic. Nice try, anyway.
    2/10

Pkmn-master
    Ehh, it's cute, but I'm not sure if I can really classify it as pixel art. It just looks like a mere Paint doodle. There's not really much indication that you did anything beyond drawing while zoomed in or anything.
    4/10

Celebi22
    Again, I'm really not sure I can classify it as pixel art. It really doesn't seem like you tried very hard to smooth out or fix lines or anything. Plus, it just looks really bizarre for a Pikachu. It's really lopsided and awkward.
    3/10

Eevee-lady
    Uhh, you changed your entry twice, I think, and it doesn't seem like you made even the remotest attempt to adhere to the theme. There's not even a background.
    3/10

Shadow Scizor
    For a drawing it's not SO bad, but it's really only teetering on the brink of being considered pixel art. You did appear to make some effort, however, which is good. It would be nice if there was an actual background, though, because it otherwise just seems to have a sort of unfinished feeling to it.
    5/10

Whitewolf
    Once again, nice drawing, but it's just not quite pixel art. The edges are pretty shabby and there's just not a lot of attention to detail on the pixel level.
    4/10

Vaati
    Not bad, actually. It's got some fine details, but the problem seems to be the way the foreground clashes (and burns, and dies a horrible, flaming death) against the background. It feels like you just slapped on the background to adhere to the theme. I guess that was probably the logical solution, but you probably ought to have planned a little better. Nice job, though. You're still in a fairly high percentile.
    7/10

Latias Lover
    I like this one. I can't really decide if I can call it pixel art or not, though. Attention to detail seems evident in some places but not in others. It's a really good subject, however. Just try a little harder next time.
    7/10

Outskate
    This space reserved for when Outskate reposts his entry.
    N/A

Suggestions for whomever does the next contest:
    • If you're going to make it a pixel art contest as opposed to a sprite one, make sure you have your definitions straight and that you know what you're talking about.
    • Try giving comments to everyone. It's nice to know what to improve on, especially if you didn't place.
    • Don't be an idiot and screw it up.

FIN

Years
    I knew Hollietree would win, and I'm happy for her. And I'm also glad mine got at least a 5/10, unlike some of the others. :)

Ciro

A Cat with a blade..
    Years
    I tried my best, I thought it was good for a first try, but alas I didn't win...

And how do you make a contest?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    You need to consult a moderator beforehand, I guess. Though, I wouldn't advise it unless you really know what you're doing.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Wow! Hollietree! That entry is incredible! I had to zoom in max to see the dithering! And yes, I saved it.
    Sorry I couldn't enter this contest, it turns out my Inuyasha pixel pic wasn't even 45% done and I had left it undone at a sticky situation.
    Cant wait for the next contest!

viridian doubletongue

the world's greatest thief
    Years
    Congratulations to the winners especially Hollietree whos entry I actually I had to save & zoom in to check it was pixel art! Well done to you all.

I ended up being too busy with others things to finish my entry but I wasn't comfortable with the theme & got tired of no getting it to look right.

Years
    Congrats Hollietree, Dragonfree and ZephyrPlusle for placing =) And everyone else who entered.

You deserved First place, Hollietree, your entry is beautiful, detailed and immaculate, a very well constructed entry, You obviously worked rather hard to make such a gorgeous entry, it's beyond awesome =D Congrats! -applauds-

Dragonfree, your one is my favourite, not just for the detail in it, but the size of it is really cute XD Everything about it is so nicely done, and it looks very pixel like. You deserved to place =) Congrats.

You've done a very cute entry ZephyrPlusle, I like the fact that you used the Legendary dogs in your entry. Though, I agree with Allstories that the sky is a bit...well, congrats in winning third place.

And yeah, ^ my comments. But heck, Congrats to all ^^;

Years
    OMG, I placed. Congrats to Dragonfree and Hollietree for placing second and first. ^^
    And yes, I know my background was complete and utter garbage. Heh, you were right.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    Is someone going to start the December contest? Come on, people! We're three days into December and the previous contest hasn't even been unstickied.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Heh, well done all, I'm guessing 7 points puts me in joint 4th or 5th?

Back