• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~ NP7261 Sratch Sprites ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

np7261

Exceeding Excpectations
Years
  • ~ NP7261 Scratch Sprites ~ Help me Improve ~

Welcome to my scratch sprite thread. The main Purpose of this thread is to improive my spriting. I would like to kindly ask you to critique my spites.

Please note that these sprites are not for publc use

Please suggest names for the fakemon!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Please send your advice and opinions!

Best regards NP7261​

Last edited:

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • here is some constructive critism dont resize the spritee to make it look bigger you might think it will look better since it bigger but it actualy looks worse and its also too blurry

I hope this helps

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Half of these dont look like scratches at all, the first one is pretty much Poochyena. I'm pretty sure the bottom one is Skitty.

Your outlining needs major work and you should never use the scale tool.

np7261

Exceeding Excpectations
    Years
  • Thankyou for your help guys. Also note that I had to resize my work so it would fit in my game. Also the first sprite was based on poochyena, next time i will try and make it more original. Once agan thanks for your help.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • Thankyou for your help guys. Also note that I had to resize my work so it would fit in my game. Also the first sprite was based on poochyena, next time i will try and make it more original. Once agan thanks for your help.
    Do you have the original sprites though if you do youd probaly want to show us those insted of these

Vannah☆

Spriter
    Years
  • ~ NP7261 Sratch Sprites ~

Type: Ice

Pokedex: This cute dog has ice like skin. It is always willing to help a Pokemon trainer. They are used to artic climate but have adapted to Irellia -the pokemon region- well.

As stated before, it's very poochyena-like. You should've tried adding some other kind of original feature to it. Emphasize something. Also, official pokemon sprites are generally facing the opponent and not shown from a side view.

[497] Pandup

Type: Grass

Pokedex: Pandup uses its huge body mass to overwhelm its foes. It enjoys eating bamboo and can sleep all day long.
    This guy looks more like just a panda and less like a pokemon. Fakemon generally have a basic idea of some kind of animal or item, and you build an idea off of it that eventually becomes completely original. Also, this is a little... small? for my taste. Especially with first stage evolutions, or stand alone pokemon, the simple features are very emphasized. For instance,
    bulbasaur is much bigger with bigger eyes and a very interesting position. Pandup is just very small and not big enough to have those kinds of details. In this case, bigger is better! Just don't go too overboard with that. xD[/QUOTE]

[???] Onimon

Type: Ground

Pokedex: This pokemon was originated from the dirt. It has a long stem that can be leathal. Beware it can sting your eyes.
    Alright, this is a tad better size-wise I guess. However, plant based pokemon generally have some other original feature if they're based off just one food-item. Take Seedot for example.
    He has a few original ideas going on, even though he's a simple pokemon. His eyes are orignal and well blended into the sprite, and the top of the shell acts as a hat-type thing.

[???] Poisiqua

Type: Water / Poison

Pokedex: This strange pokemon is found in the deeper waters of Irellia. It is quite good to eat but is dangerous to swimmers.

Good-ish overall idea, here. It still looks very... under developed, I guess. It looks more like a play-doh blue ball onstop of a play-doh looking flower type thing rather than a jellowfish or octopus type thing. o_o; It also scares me that anyone would eat it. o_O Can someone tell me if magikarp or any other pokemon were eaten in the series? (Besides slowpoke tails. ._.)
    [500] Fyline

Type: Fire

Pokedex: ???

Like I said about the panda fakemon, it needs to be... larger-ish.
    Big enough that you can put in some fine details. Fyline has a very undefined outline to begin with. If the eyes are supposed to be gems, do something like this, but smaller and with your own touch. xD:
    Again, bigger is better. More details.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2009
    I think the panda one is very cute, although it doesn't much like a pokemon. looks to much like a REAL panda. all in all. 7/10

Good work

np7261

Exceeding Excpectations
    Years
  • As stated before, it's very poochyena-like. You should've tried adding some other kind of original feature to it. Emphasize something. Also, official pokemon sprites are generally facing the opponent and not shown from a side view.

This guy looks more like just a panda and less like a pokemon. Fakemon generally have a basic idea of some kind of animal or item, and you build an idea off of it that eventually becomes completely original. Also, this is a little... small? for my taste. Especially with first stage evolutions, or stand alone pokemon, the simple features are very emphasized. For instance,
    bulbasaur is much bigger with bigger eyes and a very interesting position. Pandup is just very small and not big enough to have those kinds of details. In this case, bigger is better! Just don't go too overboard with that. xD

Alright, this is a tad better size-wise I guess. However, plant based pokemon generally have some other original feature if they're based off just one food-item. Take Seedot for example.
    He has a few original ideas going on, even though he's a simple pokemon. His eyes are orignal and well blended into the sprite, and the top of the shell acts as a hat-type thing.

Good-ish overall idea, here. It still looks very... under developed, I guess. It looks more like a play-doh blue ball onstop of a play-doh looking flower type thing rather than a jellowfish or octopus type thing. o_o; It also scares me that anyone would eat it. o_O Can someone tell me if magikarp or any other pokemon were eaten in the series? (Besides slowpoke tails. ._.)

Like I said about the panda fakemon, it needs to be... larger-ish.
    Big enough that you can put in some fine details. Fyline has a very undefined outline to begin with. If the eyes are supposed to be gems, do something like this, but smaller and with your own touch. xD:
    Again, bigger is better. More details.

[/CENTER][/QUOTE]

Thanks you have really helped me. I noticed these things and have redone Pandup and Chillpup. The names for the pokemon are aso temporary, I hate them. Pandup is still to round for my liking and I need to work on his outline. I will remake Fyline and continue on from there. Thanks so much for your cristism.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • Apart from an improper use of the black outline and a really unfitting choise of a pallette, the sprites are good. Some of the fakemon are original, like this guy
    and some other fakemon are too plain, like this guy
    ,who looks like a real-life panda with green tattos on its limbs and it's called "Pandup", which is not such a clever pokename. You could have named it "Pandude", or "Granda", or "Veinda", but NOT "Pandup".

np7261

Exceeding Excpectations
    Years
  • Gettign Better

Spriting gets easier every time.

Here is a ice bird I started but I made it way too big for 64X64 so I ended up with half a pokemon. Lol it's like a back sprite facing the player!

Also help me decide which panda pokemon looks best for a first evo.
    Light
    or Dark

Also updated first post!

Last edited:

FireTears

Animator and Artist
    Years
  • Alright, I am new here to PC, but don't take me wrong, I am a fellow spriter.

A problem I see with your sprites is that the four-legged Pokemon are facing to the side rather than facing forward. If you meant for it to have a pose that shows the opponent only its left side of its body, it is fine, but also have the head turn to face your oppenent as well. The second sprite is a good example of what I mean compared to the first one. A Pokemon never battles looking away from the opponent, it is non-realistic.

Some of your sprite color choices need some work also. For example, the Red fox-like Pokemon has highlights and shades that are almost the same color shade, the shadows are hardly noticable and it looks like the sprite only has about 4 colors. Because of this, the Black is easily visible and it seems like the Pokemon just layed in mud.

There is alot more work needed on your skills, but overall, if this is your first time, they look decent! ^^ Keep up the great work!

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Spriting gets easier every time.

Here is a ice bird I started but I made it way too big for 64X64 so I ended up with half a pokemon. Lol it's like a back sprite facing the player!

Also help me decide which panda pokemon looks best for a first evo.
    Light
    or Dark

Also updated first post!

I really like the coloring and shading for both versions of the panda, but to me the head should be a bit more rounder because it looks a bit weird to me, but its still amazing though

:t354:TG

np7261

Exceeding Excpectations
    Years
  • Thanks for the replies. It's really great to have constructive critism. Also I would prefer if the comments were mainly centered around the newer sprites.

np7261

Exceeding Excpectations
    Years
  • UPDATE:
    I'm slowly getting better

The new grass starter. Not grate shading and I hate the eyes but not bad compared to my first attempts.
    Any ideas for a name for this Pokemon are welcome.

Last edited:

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • UPDATE:
    I'm slowly getting better

the new grass strter

Very nice. Though the new grass starter lacks a little bit of perspective. Remember to always pose it to the side a little bit, so it's not exactly straight forward. I can see that it isn't, but it seems that it's stil lacking perspective. And very importantly - don't forget to add spots of shine! The left paws should at least lave little spots of shine.

You're very good, and of course, better than me! ooh, could you possibly drop by my pixel board for some critique? I haven't been getting much lately. The link is in my siggy if you're interested.

Besides that, you're very good, so keep spriting! ^o^

Swinoob

... [I am not a talker].
    Years
  • To be honest, the only real problem I see is that the Basic and First Evolutions of the panda are much to small to be... well, a panda. Remember how big the animals you base your sprites on are, and try to get it as close to the real thing as you can. That is, unless you want tiny characters, and there's really nothing wrong with that.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Please do not revive threads when they haven't got any posts for over a month, it's against the rules D:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back