• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NUZLOCKE comic showcased

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
pokemonhardmode_logo.png

Many have probably heard of the Nuzlocke challenge. It is when you play through a pokémon game following some very specific rules. But where did it really come from?

It all began when a person decided to play through Ruby with a twist. He made up two rules to make the game harder, and called it simply Ruby Hard Mode.

> release the pokémon if it faints.
> have to catch the first pokémon in every area and nothing else.​

And the best thing - he drew a comic, chronicling the whole playthrough. This comic was put up on the web and the ball started rolling. The idea of challenging yourself by playing a pokémon game in Hard Mode was thrilling and more people mimicked him and drew their own comics. The phenomena came to be known as Nuzlocke, after a Nuzleaf that the main character of the first comic captured and portrayed with the face of Locke from the TV-series LOST.

I this thread, I thought we could read the original Nuzlocke comic and post our reactions and thoughts about the concept and the story (which is actually really exciting after a while, as the art gets progressively better and the pokémon all talk and the author makes twists to the original game plot). The "official" site is here: http://www.nuzlocke.com/pokemonhardmode.php?p=1

Maybe you have even made your own Nuzlocke comic? Show us!

I present to you, the first page of Ruby Hard Mode and then one of the more recent pages, to show that the art actually does get better ;)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Chit-chat away!​

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
The latter comic reminds me of an N comic that I've read before lol

This is pretty funny stuff though, I might read the rest if I have the time.

Years
The nuzlockers have their forum too, where they draw comics as well. The original Nuzlocke is really good. A lot of challengers draw their comics really great too. The best I've ever seen was Freddie's Gold (by notepad)

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I totally just finished reading up to the latest chapter of the comic. Uhm, I suppose I'll put a thought of mine in a spoiler.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
The nuzlockers have their forum too, where they draw comics as well. The original Nuzlocke is really good. A lot of challengers draw their comics really great too. The best I've ever seen was Freddie's Gold (by notepad)
Yes, that site links to the forum and before the site used to directly host fan comics but now they are all uploaded at the forum instead. If I understood it correctly. But I think we can link to the comics in that forum from this thread without being worried of being branded as targets for infraction because of advertising. I had a chitchat with a smod who didn't seem to think it was something to worry about ;>

I love the original, especially the Kanto episode. Pidgeot <3 I don't think I finished reading the Kanto arc! Have to go back and to that. Actually, I'll just reread everything. It's that fun.

I think I read Freddie's Gold... But I can't remember it right now. I'll try to find it! I really liked an Emerald adventure, I think it's featured on that site still, or linked to at least. One where May was a psycho and the pokémon really had great personalities. And the ending was really heartfelt, despite May's weirdness :3

I totally just finished reading up to the latest chapter of the comic. Uhm, I suppose I'll put a thought of mine in a spoiler.

Spoiler:
The very last chapter, in Unova? Did you read it all now or have you read bit of it before?

Years
Yes, that site links to the forum and before the site used to directly host fan comics but now they are all uploaded at the forum instead. If I understood it correctly. But I think we can link to the comics in that forum from this thread without being worried of being branded as targets for infraction because of advertising. I had a chitchat with a smod who didn't seem to think it was something to worry about ;>

Of course it's okay to talk about it.

I think I read Freddie's Gold... But I can't remember it right now. I'll try to find it! I really liked an Emerald adventure, I think it's featured on that site still, or linked to at least. One where May was a psycho and the pokémon really had great personalities. And the ending was really heartfelt, despite May's weirdness :3

You mean HALE's Emerald hard mode? That was a masterpiece as well.

Notepad made me cry by making the flash scene in Freddie's Gold when his Raticate died against Koga's Foretress.

The comics I respect as well are those made by ROBOT-7 (Red and I think he ditched Sapphire), Nyonlite, neopolis... I need to check the forum again, because I'm very backward with today's comics.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Okayyy having read over the rules a bit more properly, I've realized that Nuzlocke comics and other unofficial comics isn't really what this section is meant to harbor after all :/ It was an attempt to align the discussion in this subforum in a broader way since manga talk is rather dead. But as it is now, talk about fancomics is probably better situated under PokéCommunity's art section or some creative section instead.

So, sorry for this thread :>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back