• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Obligatory Starter Speculation Thread

NightmareClown

NightmareClown
    Years
    I am hoping that they will mix it up a bit. Maybe a Flying/Dark/ground type? Or if they are keeping to the traditional fire/grass/water types... Fire-a snake(like some others said)
    Grass-a bird, maybe a falcon or eagle looking pokemon
    Water- a cat, cats hate water so it will be unexpected and will also look pretty awesome

Years
    I am hoping that they will mix it up a bit. Maybe a Flying/Dark/ground type? Or if they are keeping to the traditional fire/grass/water types... Fire-a snake(like some others said)
    Grass-a bird, maybe a falcon or eagle looking pokemon
    Water- a cat, cats hate water so it will be unexpected and will also look pretty awesome
    They've generally been going in a fairly less pronounced direction with the grass Pokémon, so it's unlikely that they would try a bird there. And, I mean, if one grass-type is a bird they'll probably soon start keeping out all of the other grass-types who aren't birds. Not sure if they're going for unexpected with starters, you'd generally want more context for that. Agree that a fire-snake could be decent, depending on how it's pulled off, but as it's quite stylised and direct they might not feel prepared to do so. It might also come across as a bit of a departure after Delphox, which wouldn't suggest it. Still, though, something like that would be kinda cool, you'd suppose, but it could also get a bit weird if done incorrectly, and exclude the idea from further games in the series.

Not entirely clear if they'd want to go with flying/dark/ground, as it were, because flying-ground involves an immunity and they'd usually tend to avoid that, in addition because ground-types were usually hybrid. Ground might still be preferred to rock, though, which would involve resistances to many types, or for that matter to steel, while types with fairly specific weaknesses like dark might be avoided except as a temporary gimmick, or via type hybridity. Most types are becoming a bit like this, though, and generally speaking they might try and introduce new types going forwards in order to prevent resistances from becoming too specific and finnicky, or foisting undeveloped types like bug or fighting on the player, while recent type additions have generally gone in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
    Years
    Not entirely clear if they'd want to go with flying/dark/ground, as it were, because flying-ground involves an immunity and they'd usually tend to avoid that, in addition because ground-types were usually hybrid. Ground might still be preferred to rock, though, which would involve resistances to many types, or for that matter to steel, while types with fairly specific weaknesses like dark might be avoided except as a temporary gimmick, or via type hybridity. Most types are becoming a bit like this, though, and generally speaking they might try and introduce new types going forwards in order to prevent resistances from becoming too specific and finnicky, or foisting undeveloped types like bug or fighting on the player, while recent type additions have generally gone in the opposite direction.

We have a few starter trios where at least one fully-evolved member has an immunity.

1st Gen had Charizard who is immune to Ground, and Venusaur immune to the poison status condition. 3rd Gen obviously had Swampert who is immune to Electric. 4th Gen has both Electric and Poison immunities for Torterra and Empoleon respectively, and 6th Gen has Greninja who is immune to Psychic. More interesting was the type with the most starters having a type immunity so far is Water, with three (Swampert/Empoleon/Greninja), Grass has one (Torterra) and Fire also has one (Charizard).

And we all remember when it was heavily speculated 4th Gen would give us a Fighting/Dark/Psychic trio, and fast forward two generations and we get a starter trio (Chesnaught, Delphox & Greninja) which is exactly that, albeit it's their secondary types.

It would be cool to see a Fire/Ground starter, especially given we already have the Grass/Ground Torterra and the Water/Ground Swampert. I remember many speculated Ground (and even Dark) for a secondary type for Tepig's evolutions before we found out Fighting was chosen again and the subsequent ragefest that happened.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    We have a few starter trios where at least one fully-evolved member has an immunity.

1st Gen had Charizard who is immune to Ground, and Venusaur immune to the poison status condition. 3rd Gen obviously had Swampert who is immune to Electric. 4th Gen has both Electric and Poison immunities for Torterra and Empoleon respectively, and 6th Gen has Greninja who is immune to Psychic. More interesting was the type with the most starters having a type immunity so far is Water, with three (Swampert/Empoleon/Greninja), Grass has one (Torterra) and Fire also has one (Charizard).

And we all remember when it was heavily speculated 4th Gen would give us a Fighting/Dark/Psychic trio, and fast forward two generations and we get a starter trio (Chesnaught, Delphox & Greninja) which is exactly that, albeit it's their secondary types.

It would be cool to see a Fire/Ground starter, especially given we already have the Grass/Ground Torterra and the Water/Ground Swampert. I remember many speculated Ground (and even Dark) for a secondary type for Tepig's evolutions before we found out Fighting was chosen again and the subsequent ragefest that happened.
    So, basically all the water starters with dual type final evos. If we get another water dual type maybe it'll continue the trend. Assuming no types are repeated we might get Water/Fairy, Water/Normal, or Water/ghost.

Years
    So, basically all the water starters with dual type final evos. If we get another water dual type maybe it'll continue the trend. Assuming no types are repeated we might get Water/Fairy, Water/Normal, or Water/ghost.

The issue is I don't know how a Water starter for Fairy, Ghost or Normal would be pulled off. Bibarel's typing made sense since it was a beaver, but many question Azumarill and Jellicent about if their designs even suited the Fairy and Ghost typing. I could definitely see a dual-typed Water starter break the immunity trend here but I'll mainly start my assumptions once the starter trio and their designs get revealed.

Years
    The issue is I don't know how a Water starter for Fairy, Ghost or Normal would be pulled off. Bibarel's typing made sense since it was a beaver, but many question Azumarill and Jellicent about if their designs even suited the Fairy and Ghost typing. I could definitely see a dual-typed Water starter break the immunity trend here but I'll mainly start my assumptions once the starter trio and their designs get revealed.
    A water/fairy can be based on a water nymph. In other words a humanoid water starter.

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
    A water/fairy can be based on a water nymph. In other words a humanoid water starter.

Eh, I don't think a humanoid pokemon is something they'd go for with the starters.

I'm personally hoping for a Grass/Flying, Fire/Dark, and a Water/Ghost. The Grass/Flying could be a parrot or a peacock. As for the Water/Ghost, it could be based off of shipwrecks.

Years
    Eh, I don't think a humanoid pokemon is something they'd go for with the starters.

I'm personally hoping for a Grass/Flying, Fire/Dark, and a Water/Ghost. The Grass/Flying could be a parrot or a peacock. As for the Water/Ghost, it could be based off of shipwrecks.
    I guess, thus far the most humanoid are the final evolutions of the Fighting starters and Delphox and Greninja. It is kind of hard to see them get more humanoid. Hmm, wonder if a Fire/Dark will fit the pirate theme of a ship and parrot...

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
    Hmm, wonder if a Fire/Dark will fit the pirate theme of a ship and parrot...

Huh, I didn't even notice the pirate theme...

That would make Fire/Dark the pirate probably. I believe that ships had cats too, so it could be pirate cat/tiger. And since the region may be based off of Hawaii, a pirate theme really fits in with the ocean setting.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I dunno about a pirate theme but if it's based on Hawaii, the Grass-type starter better be a coconut combined with a palm tree. It just has to happen. :)

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Sep 5, 2016
    Pokémon Sun and Moon Starter Predictions

So my friend an I had an amazing discussion about Pokemon we think should be the new starters of Pokemon sun and Moon. He suggested the starters should be all based on mystical Japanese creatures. The Bubok (grass), the Kappa (water), and a wisp (Fire). I think this is an amazing idea! We already got the RPG classes with Greninja, Delphox, and Chesnaught so I think having the starters follow a theme is something Nintendo should defiantly keep up with. What do you think the next starters should be based on?

Full Discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvFQa76Vv94

Attachments

• Obligatory Starter Speculation Thread
      bubok Together.jpg
      80.1 KB · Views: 6
      Whisp Together.jpg
      87.7 KB · Views: 6
      kappa Together.jpg
      90 KB · Views: 6
    Back