• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Obtaining a Light Ball (GUIDE)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Xander, you still fail to understand.

Using these other methods does cause chances in things like encounter rate, held items, etc. However, they negate any change in the occurrence of Pikachu appearing. In my testing, they are not as effective as having a Static Pokémon lead the party. See Compound Eyes. I didn't get a single Pikachu; therefore, there was no point to having increased held item percentages. The same goes for any other ability.

You insist that people following this guide must use a Frisk Pokémon. I'm trying to tell you that you don't have to. I evolved two Pokémon while finding my Light Balls. I didn't want all that game time gone to waste doing nothing to gain experience, so I did that. Like I said in my previous post, there is nothing wrong with using Frisk; heck, maybe it is quicker for Light Ball acquisition. I've already noted it for a possible rewrite to be included. However, it seems more like a time-waster doing it that way in my opinion. Additionally, players early in the game will not have a Frisk user. They will just have Static Pikachu to knock out and use to draw more to them. So I wrote this from the perspective of someone still starting out. You fail to see this.

Therefore, this is a guide and I won't have folks come in and try to tell me what I should make my guide into just to make them happy. You want to discuss ideas? This is great. I'm doing that. However, my point is to provide the quickest and most efficient way for people to find a Light Ball or two as early in the game as possible. Most people only need one. Those still early in the game also need experience. Checkmate. I am satisfied with what is written. But again, Frisk will be added to the guide as another option. I am occupied with figuring out something in another game right now, but will be back to this later.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2014
    Didn't know Light Balls were rare... I got one with the first pikachu I caught >.> Why's it such an important item?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Didn't know Light Balls were rare... I got one with the first pikachu I caught >.> Why's it such an important item?
    Light Ball is the only way to get a Pikachu with Volt Tackle and powers up Pikachu's attacks. You have to have the item on a Pikachu when its bred to have a baby Pichu with Volt Tackle.

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Light Ball is the only way to get a Pikachu with Volt Tackle and powers up Pikachu's attacks. You have to have the item on a Pikachu when its bred to have a baby Pichu with Volt Tackle.
    I believe it has to be held by the female, furthermore. If the male can hold it, meanwhile, I'm interested in that too.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Or you could just catch Emolga.
    Right, the female Pikachu can breed with anything in the same Egg group and the resulting offspring Picku will know Volt Tackle. Not sure if my Emolga is male, but I may just catch a male Pikachu or see what else in the Egg group I have for breeding.

I might actually do this, but I'm doing some Animal Crossing business (and time traveling to boot) until at least tomorrow. I'll be back in the game once Halloween is over in ACNL as I'm trying to get a furniture set in that game right now.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I believe it has to be held by the female, furthermore. If the male can hold it, meanwhile, I'm interested in that too.

It works with either parent. You can ditto breed a male with Light Ball for Volt Tackle Pichus. A Pikachu has to be holding it is the only requirement I remember.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Yeah, I'm aware a male Pikachu and Ditto can do it as well. But a male Pikachu and a female of another species obviously will not. The question for me was whether the male Pikachu can hold and the female Pikachu doesn't have to. Ditto holding it would also be an experiment to try.

The reason I prefer using two Pikachu is the increased Egg rates; IIRC, two Pokémon of different species both belonging to you have a 20% Egg rate, the same species or different from different trainers is 50%, and same species from different trainers is 70%. Heck, I may trade for a Pikachu if the 50% takes too long for some reason (but it shouldn't).

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • Actually in this generation, even if it's first in the party and it has fainted, it won't work. Same with repels. If you have a level high level at the first slot and it's fainted, the encounter will apply to your second slot.

Anyway good guide, even though I knew this already :D

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Actually in this generation, even if it's first in the party and it has fainted, it won't work. Same with repels. If you have a level high level at the first slot and it's fainted, the encounter will apply to your second slot.

Do you have any substantial proof to back this up? I've been running around with a fainted Nosepass and getting a ton of Honedge battles while looking for more shiny Honedge. The field effecting abilities only work in the first slot, not based on whether or not they have fainted.

I did the Static Pikachu hunt as well, and Compound Eyes in second slot did nothing to raise Item chance but I ran into more Pikachu in the forest than I would have without Static.

As for Repel, it still works as it always has. Anything lower than my first Pokemon has not appeared to battle with me while walking through grass.

Victreebel's Bro

The Day Is My Enemy
    Years
  • Didn't know Light Balls were rare... I got one with the first pikachu I caught >.> Why's it such an important item?

They pass volt tackle down to bred Pichu if Pikachu or Raichu is holding it, it also doubles Pikachu's attack and special attack stats

As for the guide, I tried it on my friends game and I got a light ball on the fourth pikachu I found! Thanks for the advice

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Actually in this generation, even if it's first in the party and it has fainted, it won't work. Same with repels. If you have a level high level at the first slot and it's fainted, the encounter will apply to your second slot.

My Pikachu encounter rate in Route 3 - where Pikachu is VERY RARE - is extremely large compared to what it should be. Static was (I have enough for now) in my first slot, fainted. What is your explanation?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Never heard of this, I guess it could work. I'll have to try it out. I haven't even tried to get a light ball except for when I caught pikachu early in the game I got one by chance.

Back