• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

odd problem o_O

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
  • this is odd...

I have an Emachines laptop with Windows XP Installed.
    I got it around september 2006.

around september 07, it went crazy... I forget how though

My dad recently fixed my laptop somehow and it wasn't so crazy... (about a week and a half ago)

now this is my problem:

I use my computer ALOT (as in, about every minute I'm not at school/doing whatever every single kid does)
    it works fine until about 8pm... then it constantly freezes litterally every five minutes for about 2-5 hours >.> (in tonight's case, at least 2 hours)

what gives? o_O

and no, I don't think it's a virus... evrything went back to the default stuff, though, I still had some stuff in my documents (nothing suspicious there) so... yeah.

Little help here? O O

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • run your anti spyware/ adware programs. that could turn up something. does it still happen if you aren't connected to the internet?

benji

ウサギちゃん!
    Years
  • Check your task scheduler to make sure you aren't, like, defragmenting your hard disk at 8pm every day. XD

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • Check your task scheduler to make sure you aren't, like, defragmenting your hard disk at 8pm every day. XD
    that would be like... to exessive xD

That's not the problem.

run your anti spyware/ adware programs. that could turn up something. does it still happen if you aren't connected to the internet?

we don't have any anivirus software to run >.> (looks like SOMEBODY forgot the anitviruse software >.>)

But you might be right... it COULD be a hangover from the last virus. o_O

and yes, it happens when I'm offline as well.

~~~~~~~

My dad said that is COULD just be doing that because it's to hot...

but that's just ONE Possibility o_O

Years
    • Age 118
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    My dad said that is COULD just be doing that because it's to hot...

but that's just ONE Possibility o_O

No. That wont be the reason if its happening every night.

GET ANTIVIRUS software now. Then get something for adware and the for spyware. WEAR THE GLOVE OR THERES NO LOVE

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I would go with AVG. As for Ad-ware I would recommend Adaware. all of these are free.
    I use AVG Anti-virus and AVG Anti-Spyware on my WinXP [64bit version] Virtual Machine. I would have just continued my old subscription of Norton, but it wouldn't install on 64 bit systems.
    I've used Panda, Norton, McAfee, Kapersky, Avast! and AVG, and for the price AVG just can't be beat, though If you do have the money I'd say go with Norton. It's not as much of a resource hog as people say. plus the 360 version was PC magazine's top choice in security suites.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    Your problem doesn't sound like a spyware/virus problem. Judging that it occurs at certain times and you say that you have it on all the time, it could be an issue with overheating? E.g say you turn on your laptop first thing in the morning, it stays on and overheats until it gets to a point where it damages the boards (which could take about 10hrs or whatever so it dies at 8pm).. just a theory.

Also I'd suggest that you look at PROFESSIONAL reviews when searching for a good AV software and NOT what other people say. Reasons for this are:
    • people will experience different viruses to you
    • someone may tell you they have never been attacked, when they actually have but was never detected due to a poor AV software
    • they probably have only ever used 1 AV software their whole life so they exactly can't say what's best
    • the software may be recommended not because of its AV ability, but for other reasons.. I.e if it's free.
    That being said, Kaspersky Antivirus is regarded as one of, if not the, most effective AV programme, you have to pay - but if you know how to work a torrent, you're sorted. Adaware is good for effective spyware removal (and it's free). However I don't recommend AVG at all- everyone hypes about it because it's the only AV programme they use as it's free, but the reviews are average and there are some issues that other AVs can accomplish better.

But basically ALWAYS do your OWN research for a good AV and don't just get what someone else tells you to download. I once listened to forum AV 'recommendations' once.. it hurt my computer a LOT.

Last edited:

supertails

Dictator
    Years
  • AV scanners work well but unfortunately AV scanners only delete software (virus) that is in the data base. If you have an out of date data base with you AV scanner the virus maybe very happy and in your face . If you have an up to date data base which is brand new data base with your AV scanner then you maybe like yea and eat that.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • Thank you Jaimes, that is wonderful advice, and I would like to redirect ~KiTsUnE up to my modified post with links to the PC Magazine article that can help inform about Internet Security suites.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • Your problem doesn't sound like a spyware/virus problem. Judging that it occurs at certain times and you say that you have it on all the time, it could be an issue with overheating? E.g say you turn on your laptop first thing in the morning, it stays on and overheats until it gets to a point where it damages the boards (which could take about 10hrs or whatever so it dies at 8pm).. just a theory.

hm.. well, tonight I turned it on around 8, and it worked fine until 9 and it froze u once or twice. I did let it sit while it was off. it's fine now though.

Years
  • Overheating wouldn't do that *sigh*. From what you've said so far, it sounds like it's simply your physical memory running out, or your processor being overworked over time. I know even my new laptop will crash after long gaming sessions (4 hours+ or so?)... Try shutting it down every once in a while.

If you really think it's a virus, check your task manager for any suspicious processes. Also check it for a very large process running in the background. Something, like people said before, might be set up to run around 8 o'clock.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
  • meh, I got some Windows updates and it seems to work fine now! (Ever since Friday, when I updated, it's only froze up ONCE. and Then I think I just had it on a bit to long...)

I'm still going to hunt down the ultimate AV-software, just incase.

Back