• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Oddly behaving ruby & sapphire

pkmnfreak84

555 Henshin!
    Years
    After finishing Fire Red I decided I'd conquer Sapphire. After playing a while I tried to plug in my AR and use the "fast level up" cheat and when the game started, well it didn't start. I hit start and it just went to a white screen. I tried again and got the same thing.. so I pulled out my Ruby and it does the same thing. The AR works great with FR/LG/Emerald though, I even tried different codes.

Other than just that, the font looks.. weird to me.. and when the game is started up after it goes through the intro it says "The Save File Will Be Loaded. The Game Can Be Played." before it goes to the Load/New Game/Option menu. When I bought them (eBay) I tested both to make sure they worked, the ruby had no save file (it said "The save file has been deleted.... the game can still be played") but the Sapphire had one that was just a test cuz they had named the char AAAAAA haha.. but anyway I did the Down+Sel+B thing to delete the save file, it asked me if I was sure, I said yes, and then I turned off the game and restarted. When I did it still had the AAAAAA file, and still said there was a save file.

Pretty much what I'm asking is did I buy the wrong thing and end up with a ROM on a flash cartridge? It LOOKS legit (the sapphire is semi-transparent blue and ruby is semi-transparent red) and it has labels but it just makes me wonder.

Years
    Other than just that, the font looks.. weird to me..

Well, the font on Ruby/Sapphire was 'taller' than the other 3 games, and looks weird, should look like this. Anything different, i havent seen.

Oddly behaving ruby & sapphire

See the writing at the bottom?

And this is a picture of the 5 GBA games, and their true colours.

Set out like this;

Emerald LeafGreen
    Sapphire
    Ruby FireRed

Original games DO NOT NEED TESTING!!! With a short save file, with the name AAAAAA, its likely its a test, and a possible fake. Also, check the instruction booklet, look for the WARNING pages. If there arent any, its probably a fake, as these are not included in fake manuals, to save on money.

The white screen probably happens as your game is most likely a fake. Unlucky, but make sure you buy from a reputable person from eBay, personally i dont true the site one bit...

pkmnfreak84

555 Henshin!
    Years
    well the font is right.. I guess it's just so different from the other games.

I'm pretty sure it's a fake. I went back to ebay to check on the seller and needless to say they're not a registered user anymore (got both from the same seller). The labels look odd because they don't have the same "shimmer" as FR/LG (bought at toys r us) or emerald (bought from gamefly) and on all the others they have little numbers carved into the sticker but these two don't.

As for the manual thing.. yeah no box or manual. I just got them in the mail in the little plastic game cases. Guess that should've been my first clue, but it's understandable because most of my old cartridge games (NES/SNES/GB) don't have the books/boxes either just cuz I didn't keep them. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the info.

Years
    well the font is right.. I guess it's just so different from the other games.

I'm pretty sure it's a fake. I went back to ebay to check on the seller and needless to say they're not a registered user anymore (got both from the same seller). The labels look odd because they don't have the same "shimmer" as FR/LG (bought at toys r us) or emerald (bought from gamefly) and on all the others they have little numbers carved into the sticker but these two don't.

As for the manual thing.. yeah no box or manual. I just got them in the mail in the little plastic game cases. Guess that should've been my first clue, but it's understandable because most of my old cartridge games (NES/SNES/GB) don't have the books/boxes either just cuz I didn't keep them. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the info.

Sad to here.

That is a fake.

A little tip, only buy things on Ebay from sellers with 100% feedback. [maybe 99.9 if they have a lot of score]

lostprophetsown

chatot,lucario and lance lover
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2013
    yeah if the games are in a black cartridge like other games on GBA not pokemon then they are fake and the save file thing always happens when you load up the game i got a emerald one 4months bfore it came out here and its all well and good until the game dies and stops completly i have 57 shinies on the cartridge aswell always check the pictures on ebay mate and make sure it says original

Years
    yeah if the games are in a black cartridge like other games on GBA not pokemon then they are fake and the save file thing always happens when you load up the game i got a emerald one 4months bfore it came out here and its all well and good until the game dies and stops completly i have 57 shinies on the cartridge aswell always check the pictures on ebay mate and make sure it says original

I think he said there the right colour carts (maybe), but its just the labels that are dodgy (shininess, no code print). But yeah, black/grey carts are fake (in Pokémon games anyway, apart from Pinball and Trading Card Game. All others have a colour, or are slightly transparent.

lostprophetsown

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2013
    I think he said there the right colour carts (maybe), but its just the labels that are dodgy (shininess, no code print). But yeah, black/grey carts are fake (in Pokémon games anyway, apart from Pinball and Trading Card Game. All others have a colour, or are slightly transparent.

its not that hard to make a fake cart really and there are so many on ebay but if its the stickers its probally faked still ive got a pokemon game in the right colour case but with a label that its shiny its fake just in a decent fake of the real cart just be careful of wat u by on ebay

Fearless

Franchise
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2008
    yeah...I don't trust eBay worth a damn. lol
    your better off buying it like at a blockbuster or something...they usually sell old games like that.

lostprophetsown

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 30, 2013
    yeah...I don't trust eBay worth a damn. lol
    your better off buying it like at a blockbuster or something...they usually sell old games like that.

gamestation ftw if u live in england not sure bout other countries but gamestation buy ur old games and stuff then sell them for dirt cheap and they are never funny about refunds and give u decent prices for ur games like about 4 years ago i traded in my pokemon blue cus i had 3 and they gave me nearlly £9 i mean thats was decent then i found them selling it £3 or someone elses i mean wtf? i got pokemon firered brand new there unopened for £14 trust me its the bomb

pkmnfreak84

555 Henshin!
    Years
    Sadly, the person had 100% positive feedback. I took a picture of them both next to my emerald cartridge, looks pretty real, the small imperfections are hard to see in the pic though.

UPDATE

I bought a new Ruby cartridge at a local used game shop.. which it doesn't have a book/case either but anyway, I tested it and it actually works right, doesn't do the "game still be loaded" thing either..

took a pic of it with the fake Ruby. The difference is easy when you see it next to each other

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Last edited:
    Back