• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official Dragonball Discussion Thread

RyanGT

Forum Elder
    Years
    Well I didn't see a thread for discussing Dragonball series, so I decided to make one. This way people won't have to make multiple threads when seeking information about DB.

So anyone have an opinion on the Dragonball Z "kai" show they are showing on TV nowadays? I haven't been able to watch it much, but from what I was able to see it seemed like the voice acting was a little different from the original show? Maybe I am wrong on this?

The S

The Reverend
    Years
    I haven't seen Kai, but I can confirm that some characters, both in the Japanese and English versions, have been recast.

The big news in DragonBall these days is that the animated strategy guide for the old Famicom game Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, is being redrawn and rescripted, and included with copies of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game Raging Blast 2. PES' villain, Hachihyakku, is also set to be in that game, which marks his first appearance in anything new in 17 years.

Years
    I'm watching DB Kai from time to time, but they ruined the soundtrack imo. The original Japanese DBZ was the best. The only thing I have liked in Kai was Son Goku's first SS transformation.

RyanGT

Forum Elder
    Years
    I haven't seen Kai, but I can confirm that some characters, both in the Japanese and English versions, have been recast.

The big news in DragonBall these days is that the animated strategy guide for the old Famicom game Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, is being redrawn and rescripted, and included with copies of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game Raging Blast 2. PES' villain, Hachihyakku, is also set to be in that game, which marks his first appearance in anything new in 17 years.

Which characters have been recast exactly?

Also, I just recently watched the original version of "Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans" for the first time about a week ago. Man, Hachihyakku is a beast haha. I believe that was the only DBZ movie that I hadn't seen yet.

Years
    Which characters have been recast exactly?

Also, I just recently watched the original version of "Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans" for the first time about a week ago. Man, Hachihyakku is a beast haha. I believe that was the only DBZ movie that I hadn't seen yet.

Hachihyakku had his awesome attack, but It was very predictable. His power was slightly bigger than Broly's in Movie 8, but he was easier to defeat, due to his weakpoints. This is OVA and it was only in Japanese... I think. The soundtrack was very cool, especially before the combine ki attack from Z-Fighters.

Years
    Original Dragonball - The best out of them all, but could be a bit better.

DBZ - DRAG-ON BALL Z.

GT - NEVER HAPPENED. Period.

Kai - I have yet to watch it. I'm sure it'll be fine. :D

DBKai is really not bad, but they've killed the soundtrack a bit... Real shorted version of DBZ. I watched 69 episode: Z-fighters are already in Cell saga, so yeah...

Years
    Haha, that's a pretty good way to put it. It still remains the best show ever made, in my opinion of course.

I feel like the "dragging on" wasn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

Toei blocks all Japanese episodes and even single moments on YT. Where are those days, where a decent DBZ fan could watch Jap Movies or episodes...

Years
    Hey Sajmon,

I know of a place on YT where you can watch some jap. DB and DBZ Episodes. PM me and I'll let you know where.

That would be cool, but I think I know some certain channels, but thanks anyway, PM me.

Vegeta's and Seru's voices in Japanese are pure awesome. Goku's voice isn't very well choice here, but I like it still. Jap version has the best scream moments and soundtrack is epic.

Years
    Not certain on all of them. Most of the Japanese recasts are because the original actor died. In English, off of the top of my head, there's Bulma, Kid Gohan, the narrator, Frieza, and Cell.

I hope for another actor for Frieza. In original English DBZ this voice was horrible.

Years
    Original Dragonball - The best out of them all, but could be a bit better.

I agree. The original Dragonball was the best out of them in my book. It still has a lot of the humor that you'd see in the Dr. Slump series that aired before it, but you also had the elements of a boy and his journey. Many great friends were made along the way, and many great laughs were to be had. And the fights were not as unbearably long as they became in Dragonball Z.

All tey did to kai was cut out most of the fillers i mean i was kinda hoping to see goku and piccolo drive again kai is still pretty cool.

Honestly, this is a reason why I have not watched any of Kai yet. I feel that the filler helped the series. Instead of just being fight after fight, there were some times where the viewer could just relax for a month or two and watch as Goku and Piccolo learned to drive, or watch as Gohan had a real life in High School (and an alternate life as a superhero).

Years
    Just got done watching an episode of Kai. Man, they really butchered Frieza's voice, it sounds terrible.

I'm not sure if I can take Kai seriously with these new voices...just doesn't feel the same.

Japanese Freeza actor is still the same. But he plays slightly different. I loved this voice in original DBZ. This actor also plays voice of Mayuri in Bleach.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Dragon Ball Z was one of the first anime series' I ever watched, and the first one I watched being aware that it was anime and not a Western cartoon. Though it did dragon on quite a bit, and no I realize that the fights did get quite tedious, at the time it was the most kickass thing every, and I'll always have those fond memories.

Back