• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Oh, wow, this sucks.

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
    Okay, so I decided to whip out my old GSC games, and Gold and Crystal files were deleted, so I wasn't very happy, but whatever, new journey.

I saved, and then remembered to do something, so I turned it back on.

And my save file was gone. Same thing with the other.

So, now I can't save. Yeehaw.

(Note, it also does this with my Japanese version)

CMP

Yes!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    I believe this has something do to with the internal battery dying. I've heard they can be replaced, but I'm not sure how...

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    CMP is correct. With the old G/S/C cartridges, they ran on an internal battery to save files and run the clock system. When that dies... well, your game is erased and you'll no longer be able to save.

Replacing the batteries is the only way of fixing this problem I'm afraid. You'll have to unscrew the cartridge and find the battery, which I can't actually remember which one it is, but it should be obvious enough ;D

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
    Well, that really sucks.

So the only logical thing for me to do is buy more. I can't be bothered to unscrew, and possibly break, part of my childhood. XD

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    Well there is always the option of emulating it on your PC if you don't feel like getting a new copy or fixing the battery.

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
    Years
    that hapenned to my pokemon blue so i snapped it open to see what was inside and my internal battery had brown stuff on it (probably battery acid but it didn't burn my skin). I replaced it and soldered it in myself (no point getting a pro when you know how (and you've got the equipment needed!))

It works fine! The website i got it off said it was £20.00 ($39.99) and to get it fitted cost £17.50 ($35.00)

I litterally said out loud: OMG! Expensive for americans!
    I live in the UK and i had a soldering iron in the garage so i just laughed! I hope you problem gets sorted out!

xxAshandmistyxx

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
    It works fine! The website i got it off said it was £20.00 ($39.99) and to get it fitted cost £17.50 ($35.00)

I litterally said out loud: OMG! Expensive for americans!

You do realize it would cost the same either way then? Exchange rate. ;P You made me laugh, though, so free cookie for you.

Well there is always the option of emulating it on your PC if you don't feel like getting a new copy or fixing the battery.
    I would, but whenever I download a ROM it always seems to be crap. XP

IPanda

Maddie, The Breeder
    Years
    that happened to one of my friends games, so we took it outside and chucked it at walls, floor, and stomped on it :P it was useless
    And this was before we knew to replace the battery xD

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I would, but whenever I download a ROM it always seems to be crap. XP
    Well the emulation quality for GBC games aren't exactly picture perfect in detail. They work fine if you find a good one, which I've seen before as my copy of G/S/C is now in ROM form. It depends how you define "crap", XD

Years
    damn it, i hope mine don't do that for a while.. I've just got really into silver and I would hate to lose it...

btw can the same happen to GBA games..? i guess it can -__-

Manaphy1128

We're Making Gods
    Years
    Same thing for me.When it happened to me,i'm just like"Dammit!I beat the Elite Four 5 times with one pokemon,FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!"One question.Can you take the battery thing from another one then place it in one?I mean,my Crystal version just went *click* kinda,and I loved that one,and i barely play my yellow version,so can I switch them?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 8, 2009
    You just 6 day bumped. ;P
    damn it, i hope mine don't do that for a while.. I've just got really into silver and I would hate to lose it...

btw can the same happen to GBA games..? i guess it can -__-

I don't think that the GBA games run on an internal battery. I also don't think it can happen with the first generation games for the same reason.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Meh, i have a revolutionalry idea... they install something that would charge the internal battery from the batterys in the gbc, or gba while your playing the game...

either that, or they could make a charger that allows you to insert the game, and then you plug it into a electrial outlet to charge (like the rc cars we played with when we were a few years younger...)

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I don't think that the GBA games run on an internal battery. I also don't think it can happen with the first generation games for the same reason.

If I remember correctly, there was only the internal clock system in R/S/E being affect went the battery died. The save files were no longer connected to the internal batteries and thus were kept safe, but the time-based events stopped working after dying out.

Shadow Chaos

Has gone...
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2012
    Well, this happened on my Silver Version... A few months ago, I took it out to check my old pokes (plus my Pokedex was 250 complete...), and it was all gone, and no longer able to save. And I think my Yellow Version erased half of itself... Which was dissapointing...

fy@x5

~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It's fixable while still saving your game. Check it out by searching for pokemon gold on wikipedia.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2008
    Well, this happens to me when I 1st started my crystal, my friend just simply start and save his game, I sweared I'll never let him touch my GB again!

Shinji_

Paul addicted
    Years
    This happened with my friend at well, yes it has to do with your internal battery and he got it fixed:D.

Back