• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Okay, I have to ask. Anyone else playin' since '97?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
  • I started playing Pokemon Blue way back in December 1998, or at least that's when my friend got it and let me take a turn every now and then so I guess you could say I was around from the beginning. I didn't own a Pokemon game of my very own until Pokemon Yellow was released in Australia just under a year later. My little five year old-self had no idea how big Pokemon would get due to the late 90's popularity explosion, but he was very happy that it happened.

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • I was not even a year old so no but I remember in 2001 for my birthday I got Red and Yellow, and Pokemon Stadium. Then on Christmas I got Gold and Crystal and Stadium 2. The good old days.

Kano Shuuya

→ you're here, aren't you?
    Years
  • I didn't start playing until 1999, because I was one of the people who was late to getting the games. ;w; I watched the anime starting in 1998, but if memory serves, Yellow version was out before I ever even got to own Blue, albeit it was when Yellow was brand-spankin' new.

Last edited:

Ostrich

Derpatoligist
    Years
  • I got a Gameboy Advance when I was about about 6 (2000). I remember getting Pokemon Blue and some other games from a place called MC Toys or something. I think it's out of business now, but they had a huge bin of GBA games.

EB

Re: World
    Years
  • Vampire Weekend - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa

Snatched a copy of Blue on the week of the American release, mirroring my brother's copy of Red he had gotten a few days prior. My memories are all really splotchy when it comes to the years before GSC seeing as I was only four at the time and couldn't even read yet. :cer_confused:

Remember the days where we would actually discover things on our own, without media spoilers? It was always so exciting back then...

3Du

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    Joined in 1998 with BLUE. Then, as soon as released: Gold, Sapphire, Fire Red, Diamond. Last year my bro and me decided to make a "Pkmn Year" so we got/played/replayed: White/Black (me/bro), SS/HG, Platinum/Pearl, White/Black (we actually both have both versions... with 2 Mewtwos each of us ;)

Remember the days where we would actually discover things on our own, without media spoilers? It was always so exciting back then...

Took me hours to find out that you could use moves on the field (HM01 Cut), so got stuck after defeating Lt.Surge!! LOL

Last edited:

Tachikaze

九番隊 // Earth-Severing Wind
    Years
  • I know I got mine for Christmas, but I don't remember if it was 1997 or 1998. I know for sure that I got Red with my new teal Gameboy Color, is all. XD

PaperNapkin

Owner of Red Hair.
    Years
  • Good to know that I am not the only one who was around when Pokemon was released.

I remember picking Bulbasaur as my starter in 97 after reading up on the three starters in Nintendo Power. I'll never forget that feeling of being the first kid in my elementary school to own/know what Pokemon was all about.

Ohhhh nostalgia, how I love to reminisce.

3Du

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    So true. Each generation is a pleasent experience (althoug Ruby/Sapphire really didn't appeal much to me) but NOTHING compared to the first experience. I remember being 12 and when I discovered DIG I was like "Wow, you can't attack me one turn. Then, I attack you. Awesome".

Then, the first time ever to ride the bike (insert bike tune), each Rival appearance, and what's this pokemon at the end of Cerulean Cave??

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I never owned Blue, Red or Yellow untill later but I played my friends versions a lot. Then I got Silver as my first when it was released. I was too young to care about type match ups back then and never switched my Feraligater from the front of my party :D it was a power house.

dash!

Epic
    Years
  • I don't remember the year, but I know I've been playing since before GenII, I'm pretty sure.

I'd been playing since I was young enough the run around the house with my siblings and pretend we were Pokemon and battle each other, jumping all over the couches, breaking glasses, and pissing our parents off. Good old days.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2013
    I'm not sure about the year but I played Pokemon Blue on the old Gameboy brick, stopped playing pokemon on device after emerald.

Bika

lmfao
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2012
    I got Red when I was 6. I can't remember when Red came out but I definitely got it in it's early years.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I can't play it during '97, since I am born that year, silly. I don't remember the year I started, but I played Pokemon Red first on my old yellow Gameboy colour. Never stopped since.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I started playing Pokemon around 1998 or 1999, I think it was summer or spring so probably 99 . I was either 6 or 7 depending on the day I bought the game.

Dartht33bagger

Only plays Gen I and II
    Years
  • I got my blue version about 3 months after the games came out here in America. So some time in 1998 I believe.

Cloyster93

who's gun is this rifle?
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 24, 2015
    I got my Blue version about a month or two after it was released...

Then when Yellow came out, I got it within a week...

I bought Gold about a week after release, and when Crystal was released, I bought it on the day.

After that, I got LeafGreen a month after release and didn't buy another Pokémon game until SoulSilver, since I don't like Gen IV or V.

Back