• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Omg, I beat a Pokemon game for the first time in my life!

Shorty

Years
  • Congrats on acheiving sucess! I've only finished one pokemon game in my life time it n took me several months at that. Aw now isn't that something to be proud of? One thing we can all take away from your story is never give up, no matter how tough the going gets. U can learn a lot of valuable life lessons from playing pokemon. ^.~

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    xD Awesome.

Don't worry though, it takes me a loooong time to beat the games as well. I've actually only beaten two out of all of them that have been out, Gameboy-wise. ^^;

One being Ruby, and the other being Leaf Green.
    ...and Emerald is getting there. ^^;

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2013
    Ehh...yeah, let's not even get me started about those movesets. Umbreon (the walling utility pokémon) with only damaging moves? Full HM Suicune? Shadow Ball Haunter? (That's a physical move, you know, and Haunter sucks with physical moves) Dig? Jolteon without an electric move? Normally you'd want to play on your pokémon's strengths and cover their weaknesses, not the other way around. .___. But yeah, this isn't Strategies and Movesets so I'll leave it at that.

BS, Dream Eater is a god-awful move. The only reason it works ingame is because the AI is absolutely clueless. What do you think any opponent with even the slightest clue of strategy will do? Switch out the sleeper - enjoying a free switch because Dream Eater won't do squat - and then KO whatever unfortunate pokémon is saddled with that move. I feel really sorry for your Darkrai to be stuck with a move like that. It has sooo much more potential. Damaging psychic moves aren't really any good on non-psychic pokémon unless you really have no other options. .___.

Haunter is level 63 now. On most Pokemon, he can do an automatic or 2-hit KO with DREAM EATER. That's right, Dream Eater. So don't diss that combo, thanks much. He can even get RED'S LEVEL 81 PIKACHU with 2 Dream Eater hits, or 2 Shadow Ball hits.

Guitarist Sean

Floe Island Charmander Breeder
    Years
  • Wait, can't you still go to Kanto and beat the Kanto gym leaders? Its not like your game is completely finished, you can still beat the kanto gyms, and complete your pokedex.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Haunter is level 63 now. On most Pokemon, he can do an automatic or 2-hit KO with DREAM EATER. That's right, Dream Eater. So don't diss that combo, thanks much. He can even get RED'S LEVEL 81 PIKACHU with 2 Dream Eater hits, or 2 Shadow Ball hits.

So friggen' what? It doesn't do squat against intelligent opponents for the simple reason I already mentioned: they know how to switch. Don't think something is good just because it works against an AI geared to be beaten by ten-year olds. I'm playing through Crystal right now and three kanto gyms into the game I've beaten every battle with either one or two pokémon from my team without any of them being KOed. My item usage in these battles amounts to two Hyper Potions. Bottom line is: the game is pitifully easy. xP Besides, Red is a pitiful excuse for an opponent. All of his pokémon have extremely singular movesets (E.g. any ground type of comparable level pounds that Pikachu into the ground in one hit while the Pikachu itself can't do crap in damage) that can be nailed by basically anything with a resistance or immunity to the one type that the pokémon happens to have in attacks. Again, it's an opponent meant to be beaten by elementary school children (First time around I beat him with a team of pokémon levels 54 and down, because I had rushed through the game to see what happens). Why don't you face me on Netbattle and I'll show you just how deficient that 'combo' of yours is? Haunter could KO that Pikachu with two Psychics too, without having to go through the trouble of putting it to sleep first, by the way. Oh, and of course Psychic can also drop the opponent's SDef (Making it more efficient than Dream Eater) and won't fail if the opponent wakes up before you get your attack in. So yeah, I think I'll just keep dising one of the most over-rated moves in the history of these games until I see an actually valid argument for why it's better.

Last edited:

Crimson Arcanine

The majestic and mythical
    Years
  • You never ever teach Dream Eater to a Haunter IMO. I believe that Jynx is a better choice for such a move. Dream Eater has its uses and is great against wild or trainer pokemon, but in a competitve battle its not reliable enough due to the unpredictability of the other player.

@ Alter Ego: I think you're being a little harsh, considering. Also not everyone has the ability to fight other players competitvely, or even wants to for that matter. Just remember there are more than one level of gaming despite the fact competitive match-ups are the highest form.

@ OP: I know many would see what you achieved as very minor, but unlike some people I remember back to the days when I had just started playing Pokemon. For me, it was hard and beating the E4 was once a goal that I aimed for. I remember my Orginial team on Blue consisting of a raichu with mega kick, a raticate that i now fondly remember as "Bubblecate" because it had bubblebeam and a sandshrew that I had left in the daycare for half the game! To me at one point beating the E4 was my highest goal. So, congrats! Now see if you can do better and learn more about pokemon and thier mysteries. Remember there's always room to improve and that you should be free to train them how you want and of course the ones you like. (Unless in competitive play, you really need to know your pokemon, moves, items and effects for that!)

Back