• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

One guide book, that'll be $30.00 please

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
  • (Yes I checked, there is no current thread for this)

This is a simple question. Do you buy the game guides for Pokemon at all?

I've made a habit of buying the Pokemon game guides whenever I can, ever since Ruby and Sapphire. I've bought pretty much all of them, except the Platinum, and first HG/SS versions. I even bought the Emerald guide once, and I never even got the game for myself, which was silly. :P I'm going to buy the next Black/White version one when I can next time because there are interesting things in there I want to see.

I also like some of the lulz things that Prima put into those guides. Like one time in the FR/LG guide, they replaced the sprite for Gyarados with a Weedle for Pokemon you can find in Fuschia City. I thought it was pretty funny. :D

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I sometimes buy them, if I have the money and have no idea of what to buy.

I haven't actually bought that many though. ;__; I've bought the guides for; XD Gale of Darkness, Emerald, Diamond & Pearl, Colosseum, and a few of the Pokedex one's. :3

I wanna buy the two Black and White one's.

Rionix

My girlfriend is a crazy fox
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    Grrr.. F the guidebooks.. Its fun to play pokemon games when you don't have a guide. For me anyways, I really find it exciting to explore the world and find every nook of the map and encounter pokemons I don't know of.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Basically what most people are saying. The guidebooks are horrifically overpriced, dumbed down and from past experience, often inaccurate. We already pay for the internet and it's much easier to get information from there than a guidebook.

BattleBeard

The Ultimate Beard
    Years
  • The internet is your guidebook, not like I would need one unless I am really searching for a certain Pokemon...

I remember how "WOW" it was when I found Kyurem without even knowing he was going to be THERE!

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • I'd buy the guidbook if it meant I got access to all the Porygon stuff going on in a promotion three days from now, along with the mini-poster that I like to hang up upon my otherwise barren wall. As for all practical uses, there's the Internet.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • More then likely somebody will post up the skin codes for the public to have, so buying the guide for that wouldn't be too practical. I bought the Ruby and Sapphire guide years and years ago. It was nice for quick references, and I didn't have to search through webpages to find my answer. Now I'd just assume search for the info then dish out $30.00 for stuff I can find for free online

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • I honestly try not to use guides in the first place. And if I do, I use online resources like IGN and YouTube. I don't see the point in guide books anymore unless they come with something you could never find anywhere else, like a ticket to an event or movie. :3

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Yup. I even bought the B/W guide book even tho I don't even have the game. I lost the guide book tho o.o

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I have some older ones from back before I had a laptop and couldn't always keep Serebii open, or use the Q&A threads here. But now I have my laptop with my constantly, plus I've memorized a lot of things, so there's no need for me to get the guidebooks anymore. They get more and more overpriced though. Haven't gotten a guidebook since DP.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2011
    The only game guidebooks I've ever brought was for RuneScape, and Grand Theft Auto.

I never really rely on guiebooks for Pokemon since it was my fantasy adventure and I don't like spoiling it. :p

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    No, what for waste the money to buy a guide? It gives spoilers as well.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    I never use guide book. When smaller I just never have a thought about buying guide book, and playing without use them, and now I can look for guidance on the internet.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    There is a free guidebook on the internet known as Bulbapedia. Can you tell me why need a guide book when there are sites telling the details of all 649 pokemon? The guide book is worthless, although do have the ultamate Pokedex from Gen III and part 2 of the D/P guidebook. Nowadays Ei just read guidebooks for entertainment.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
  • If they would only cost me like five bucks, then sure, I'd buy them. I'm not going to drop $10-20 on a guidebook when I can easily find better resources online. Guidebooks are nice, but they just aren't worth the money.

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2012
    Ive bought the FR/LG guide and used it to its full advantage on pretty much everything. I loved it so much I go the Emerald one as well but thats it. Every other time I went to bulbapedia. The guides are fun to look at though and read different info on Pokemon such as when they evolve and what lvls they learn moves at.

Back