• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Openmon, the open source web game

Days
    • Seen today
    Hey everyone !

A bit of context

My name's Mickael, I'm a web developer and of course a Pokemon addict.
    I decided about 3 months ago to make my own Pokemon fan game, but choose hard way.
    I'm a developer and so I wanted to create my game from scratch. No rom hacking, no rpg-maker, not even a game engine ! Everything is written in Typescript using Svelte for the UI.
    It's a web application so big plus is that you don't need anything to play it and it'll work on any devices.

Map, pokedex & plot

Might be one of my issues, I enjoy the development journey but did not started it with a clear idea in mind.
    I want the game to have much more exploration than official games. So I drawn a big map, an island with different biomes, started making it using Tiled but then got bored and did not finish.

Since I'm a developer I wondered if generating randomized maps could work and could be great as part of the game features (new map every game = deployability !)
    It could work but I already know I will have a hard time setting up towns, biomes and not mess with the story.
    Would you be interested in random generated map ? (1 example in attachments)

About the plot.

I wanted to avoid the classic boring young boy that got its started from the region professor.

So instead when you start the game you already are a trainer, but some crazy strange storm made you faint and lose memory.
    You wake up and look at your poke ball, you remember that you're a trainer and tries to remember which Pokemon is your starter (that's how you're given the choice).
    But something strange happened to your Pokemon and every other on the island, their abilities are disabled and their moves lost some power.
    You will have to discover how and why during the game.
    What happened is that the Team [insert a cool name] tries to empower some mythical Pokemon by sucking out every others vitality. Your goal is to find and beat them to restore your full power.
    Once it's done the gym leaders will get back to work and you'll be able to collect badges and defeat the league !

About the Pokedex.

I'm not fond of games that includes every possible Pokemon of every gens. Instead I tried my best making a balanced selection of Pokemon I like.
    See attachments.

It's not definitive and might change a bit before release.

Features and advancement
    • Map (either fixed or random)
    • Pokemon selection for pokedex
    • NPCs / Scripting mechanism
    • Overworld walking
    • run toggle (and inside building as well)
    • You can have a follower
    • Battle engine
      • move additional effects are not all implemented yet
      • move animations are not all implemented yet
      • abilities
      • weathers
      • battle gimmick : combo moves
    • Pokedex screens
    • Bag screen
    • Boxes screen (available everywhere)
    • Team list and detail
      • Manual EVs assignment ( cumulate EV and allocate/re-allocate as you wish )
      • Manual moves assignment ( unlock moves and allocate/re-allocate as you wish )
    • Save / load (can have multiple saves)
    • Trainer screen
      • Summary
      • Player masteries ( player will earn xp and level up to unlock masteries - see screens below)
      • Settings ( will implement random games, nuzelocks...)
    • Music and sounds
    • Day/night & seasons cycles
    • Story scripting
    • Buildings

See some screenshot attached.
    Want more ? Everything I do is posted on TikTok, if you search for my nickname you'll find it ;)

What do I need to go on ?

Every help is appreciated, feedbacks, ideas, developers, mappers...
    But mostly, a reason to continue, am I on the right path, would you like
    playing it ? What is missing ?

Spoiler: Credits

Thanks for reading ! I'd be glad to talk with you and hear your feedbacks !

Attachments

• Openmon, the open source web game
      Capture d’écran 2024-04-28 à 15.13.46.png
      819.3 KB · Views: 18
      Capture d’écran 2024-04-28 à 15.12.20.png
      118.7 KB · Views: 20
      Capture d’écran 2024-04-28 à 15.10.47.png
      45.1 KB · Views: 16
      Capture d’écran 2024-04-28 à 15.09.59.png
      219.6 KB · Views: 24
      420545461_1097956264749261_5195874243655514624_n.png
      1.8 MB · Views: 26
      422042417_3827844927445608_2186943632478100820_n.png
      1.7 MB · Views: 25
      436536751_438832975203190_6517638987621121791_n.png
      261.8 KB · Views: 24
    Last edited:
    Years
    • He / Him
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I see no Gen 9 mons so far, the build so far have been between Legends: Arceus and Scarlet / Violet. Would at least a few added in a later private build, or did you just happen to not like the Gen 9 mons?

Days
    • Seen today
    I see no Gen 9 mons so far, the build so far have been between Legends: Arceus and Scarlet / Violet. Would at least a few added in a later private build, or did you just happen to not like the Gen 9 mons?
    I'd like to add some of them but i need to find resources for them, that includes front and back gifs for battle, overworld sprites and dex full images, I didnt dig much for them but might happen some day for sure.
    Also since it's not a built game that you have to download it can be updated easily ! 😉

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    I thing it's pretty good idea. I hope you not give up and the town will be pretty hard to make randomly but once again i hope you not giving up. Stay healthy

Back