• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Opinions on BW/Gen V?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    1. I will concede this one, back sprites look horrible.

2. Would you prefer them to look basic, bland, plain and have no progression in the designs through the years? Regardless if they are complex I still say the designs are just as good as any other Generation.

3. And past generations are different? I mean we are talking about Pokemon and game geared toward kids after all.

4. Sounds like two points not one. Anyways of course graphics are going to differ from RBY they were on a Gameboy these were on DS. And they should be? They are practially next to each other in most towns and cities so I don't see what this is an issue.

5. And long routes are bad how? I'd think increase the length would be welcome not shunned.

6. These new elements in HGSS were what? Voltrob Flip xD... BW has it's own elements so it really doesn't need to rely on previous elements to make it a great game.

Major faults? Care to elaborate on the major faults or was it just the six or seven aforementioned points you brought up? And I think you mean to say Generation V not IV.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Spoiler:
    That post made by altea pretty much summed up opinion. Especially the too much rated story. It's good, for pokemon franchise at least, but not that fantastic. There's room for plot twist but they didn't use it. Well, maybe they saving up for "Grey" anyway.

Well beside that, I'm kinda dissapointed by how weak the gym leader really is. Well, they can use only 3 pokemon to make it feel more 'competitive' but at least make us trainer also restricted to use only 3 pokemon when against them.
    I feel the rivalry is become too friendly. I mean, the rival battle music is just too awful. I miss the day in RGBY/FRLG when the rival are really your rival.

Not all thing in B/W is bad for me. I like the character of Ghetsis. He can be more wicked and evil but this game is still aimed for kids so just leave that to my imagination. And the pokemon design is great. The only pokemon that I didn't like is the floating ice cream Vanilish family.

I'm willing to bet that Game Freak left out tons of features so they could rake in more money with "Gray".
    Why betting for a thing that will happen for sure?

Last edited:

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    1. I will concede this one, back sprites look horrible.

2. Would you prefer them to look basic, bland, plain and have no progression in the designs through the years? Regardless if they are complex I still say the designs are just as good as any other Generation.

3. And past generations are different? I mean we are talking about Pokemon and game geared toward kids after all.

4. Sounds like two points not one. Anyways of course graphics are going to differ from RBY they were on a Gameboy these were on DS. And they should be? They are practially next to each other in most towns and cities so I don't see what this is an issue.

5. And long routes are bad how? I'd think increase the length would be welcome not shunned.

6. These new elements in HGSS were what? Voltrob Flip xD... BW has it's own elements so it really doesn't need to rely on previous elements to make it a great game.

Major faults? Care to elaborate on the major faults or was it just the six or seven aforementioned points you brought up? And I think you mean to say Generation V not IV.
    @ your point 2 - the thing is that I don't see any improvement or progression in most of the designs at all. I really like some of them, like Scolipede and it's pre's for example, but most of the designs just seem uninspired to me. Like OrionGSC said, gen IV was pushing it already, and gen V crossed that border, and not just with the designs, but also with the names. In gen IV, I already found some names just ridiculous, like Stunky or Purugly, and in gen V even more, names like Timburr, Gurdurr? What's that all about, sounds like a hurdurrrr derp sound. Also, Klink - Klang - Klinklang. 'Klingklang' is just an onomatopoeia, and they decided to just split that word, the pre evo getting the first syllable, the first evo getting the other syllable, and the final evo is just a combination of the two (and it's not any better in Japanese; Giaru - Gigiaru - Gigigiaru, 'giaru' being the phonetic way of pronouncing 'gear' in Japanese, and they just put 'gi' and 'gigi' in front of that) That doesn't sound very improving to me, that's just very uninspired and shallow, imho.

Like I said, there are a few good designs and names among them, but not as many as I would have liked. I did think the game was fairly good, though it seemed to me that a few features were still a little in development, maybe that's why this game had such a fast play-through. I also wished that they wouldn't have taken out Battle Frontier.

Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2011
    Black and White is my favorite Pokemon game. At first I didn't really like the new Pokemon (before the game was released), but as i kept seeing them I started liking them more and more. I just wish that there was more to do post game. I also wish that there were more legendaries that you could catch.

johnny18

Kiss Me Like It's Do or Die
    Years
    I love black and white but like everyone else said, the post game is a little of disappoinments. I just wish I can find more things to do. The Battle Subway and the musical did not stand out much to me.

Years
    My opinion on BW would be for the positive. My last game was Sapphire. I was surprised of how good the story was. It felt like something actually happened. In other games I played (Gold, Silver, Red and Crystal), nothing special happened more than the usual criminal gang tried something and you stopped it. Actually having this kind of story with the legendaries was so much better. But what I miss though is the other regions, in this sweet new format. I like the design of the menus and such. I have platinum too but I didn't have a DS at the time so when I actually got my DS I bought White at the same time. I bought Platinum for 10 SEK after a company sale... they got bankrupt so I got my platinum for free, kinda :)

Anyways, great game.

Rafi

2.B.A Master
    Years
    The Story line was interesting, the new pokemon in my opinion just look ridiculous, and I found the difficulty of the main story line a bit to easy. But overall its a great game in my opinion.

IAshKetchum

Pokémon master.
    Years
    absolute rubbish. You don't get the feel when playing it like you did with the previous gens. Not to mention the Pokémon looks like cheap digimons. Urgh.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    I honestly thought HG/SS was more than twice as good as B/W. So the graphics are better. So? I honestly didn't think that the story was anything special, I don't play Pokemon for a good story, I play it for good content. I thought many of the new Pokemon were good (Elgyem, Reuniclus, Eelektross, Scolipede), but many were bad as well. Stunfisk, Garbodor, and Vanilluxe, anyone? Plus, WHY THE BLOODY HELL IS THE FIRE STARTER A FIRE/FIGHTING TYPE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? While DPPt were disappointments (more so with DP than Pt), HG/SS felt like new games, not remakes. BW did away with conveniences like running shoes you can toggle, good touchscreen controls, and the "follow you" feature in HG/SS. Overall, I prefer HG/SS to B/W. Plus, B/W was obscenely easy, such as how you could beat the gym leaders with only a small amount of grinding. Besides Ghetsis' Hydreigon, the game was insanely easy. B/W is overrated, as the story really isn't good, N just seemed stupid, There were many Pokemon that I hate (monkeys anyone?), The postgame was a fail, and it seemed like the creators of the game tried WAY too hard with the story, yet everyone gushes over how "great" the games are.

Years
    I honestly thought HG/SS was more than twice as good as B/W. So the graphics are better. So? I honestly didn't think that the story was anything special, I don't play Pokemon for a good story, I play it for good content. I thought many of the new Pokemon were good (Elgyem, Reuniclus, Eelektross, Scolipede), but many were bad as well. Stunfisk, Garbodor, and Vanilluxe, anyone? Plus, WHY THE BLOODY HELL IS THE FIRE STARTER A FIRE/FIGHTING TYPE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? While DPPt were disappointments (more so with DP than Pt), HG/SS felt like new games, not remakes. BW did away with conveniences like running shoes you can toggle, good touchscreen controls, and the "follow you" feature in HG/SS. Overall, I prefer HG/SS to B/W. Plus, B/W was obscenely easy, such as how you could beat the gym leaders with only a small amount of grinding. Besides Ghetsis' Hydreigon, the game was insanely easy. B/W is overrated, as the story really isn't good, N just seemed stupid, There were many Pokemon that I hate (monkeys anyone?), The postgame was a fail, and it seemed like the creators of the game tried WAY too hard with the story, yet everyone gushes over how "great" the games are.

Still the fastest selling Pokemon, and DS game of all time, js.

Back