• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Opinions on User Interface/Mouse Support

Mouse Support

• For Menus Only

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • For Character Movement Only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • For Both

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No Mouse Support At All

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2017
    Since I am building an Engine for personal use I'd like to know what People would think about extra mouse support.
    This might also be interesting for others developers using custom game engines (or wishing to script mouse support into their engine of choice)

The very basic game play would still follow that of the main series, with the engine being adjusted to the more powerful hardware of computers
    - Higher Resolutions
    - appropriately redesigned menus

So what is your opinion on the following issues, do you personally think any of those might feel awkward if implemented into a typical JRPG.

- How do you feel about menus being navigated with the mouse.
    My personal opinion is that it could be useful, and make the game more user friendly, but then again, Players are not used to this. Navigation by Keyboard would still be possible of course.

- How do you feel about movement through the mouse (move to clicked position)
    From experiences with other fan made JRPGs that implemented it, it does feel rather awkward, but if there is enough support I might add it as an optional feature

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
    Years
  • My opinions...

Since I am building an Engine for personal use I'd like to know what People would think about extra mouse support.
    This might also be interesting for others developers using custom game engines (or wishing to script mouse support into their engine of choice)

The very basic game play would still follow that of the main series, with the engine being adjusted to the more powerful hardware of computers
    - Higher Resolutions
    - appropriately redesigned menus

So what is your opinion on the following issues, do you personally think any of those might feel awkward if implemented into a typical JRPG.

- How do you feel about menus being navigated with the mouse.
    My personal opinion is that it could be useful, and make the game more user friendly, but then again, Players are not used to this. Navigation by Keyboard would still be possible of course.

- How do you feel about movement through the mouse (move to clicked position)
    From experiences with other fan made JRPGs that implemented it, it does feel rather awkward, but if there is enough support I might add it as an optional feature
    Interesting concept, and I like the fact how you're making your very own Pokemon game engine (IMO, I'd just use Pokemon Essentials. So much easier, intuitive controls and design...). I would definitely not use mouse controls for movement, unless it's a "3D/move-all-over-the-place-in-many-directions" type of game (somewhat like that of Pokemon Battle Revolution). I'd also like some screenshots of your "appropriately redesigned menus". Higher resolutions would make the game far more interesting, as pixel-like characters get pretty repetitive and monotonous. That is of course, only if they were in 3D. Personally, that is my take on this matter. For my games, I implement the Bluetooth Wi-Fi functionality of a Wiimote to my computer. Then I use the D-Pad for movement if it's a 2D top-down game.

Back