• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Oscars 2016 Feat. The Revenant Bear, hopefully less racism next year

Years
    Now that they've wrapped up and LEO HAS AN OSCAR, what were your favorite parts of the evening? Did Max Max deserve every technical award? Did Innaritu deserve to go back-to-back for Best Director? any thoughts on the issue of race and diversity that's dogged the event for the past several weeks?

Years
    So, thoughts on this Oscars this year...

Mad Max: Fury Road sweeping the technical categories was impressive as heck, it goes to show how much work really was put into that film. While most Australian nominees missed out again, I still hail this a win for the Aussie film industry.

Spotlight winning Best Picture... I remember hearing this one was a huge contender and it was quite acclaimed so I think it was a deserved win.

I also accurately predicted some wins, such as Brie Larson winning Best Actress, and Inside Out securing another Best Animated Film gong for Pixar, who I knew would win this as soon as the nominees were announced, and I knew why it was win because it was highly praised by many as the "best kids movie" of 2015. Pixar also has the best track record with the category so that was also a huge factor.

Innaritu going back-to-back Best Director wins was definitely some history, given it had been 65 years since such a feat last happened.

But the biggest moment to me, like many, was the death of the "No Oscars for Leo" meme because the man himself Leonardo DiCaprio finally won his long-awaited Best Actor for The Revenant, and for a role in which he ate a raw bison liver nonetheless!

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
    Even though Mad Max Fury Road did not win Best Picture, it is impressive that it managed to get no less than six Oscars. Course it was interesting that The Minions and Woody and Buzz announced the nominees for Best Animated Short and Best Animated Feature respectively. What was also interesting was how many Girl Scout cookies were sold during the ceremony.

Sirfetch’d

I didn't watch the Oscars really because I was busy with Pokemon and TWD but I was keeping up with it on Twitter. My only real though about it is I am very happy and proud for Leonardo. Was such a deserved award :)

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    I fucking loved Chris Rock as host. told my mom right before it started that I knew there were gonna be plenty of jokes about the whiteness of it all but man. he really ran with it. in a good way. it was incredible. Mad Max absolutely deserved all the technical awards -- the film was mind-boggling. I didn't like Spotlight and think it's gonna be a similar situation to Argo where no-one's gonna care about this shit in, like, a year. it's like watching a newspaper article. I'm okay with Inarritu winning even though The Revenant's direction was very scattershot and it was clearly Lubezki doing much of the heavy lifting. Leo deserved to win -- he was great in it and the other nominees were uniformly sub-par as far as best actor nods are. okay ceremony overall, but 2015 wasn't really a great year for film, imo.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Sam Smith is one of the biggest pieces of **** to walk this earth and it was confirmed last night. That was my favourite part

Wow, the dude made a mistake (which he also backed with doubt) and now he deserves your undying bashing? I'm sure you've never made a single assumption in your life...

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Why is he a piece of ****?

I don't know too much about the situation, but it sounds like he made a statement about how he's the first ever LGBT person to win an Academy Award when that's not true. If anyone else knows more about the details, let me know if I'm missing anything because I was curious about this too!

I didn't get to watch the oscars live, or see many of the nominated films :< I was upset that Tom Hardy's performance in The Revenant was basically overshadowed by everything else in the film. I left the movie wondering why no one was talking about him too. I do think that Leo completely deserved his award though, and I did love that he dedicated part of his speech to activism. I'm just so happy he finally won!

I wish I had seen the Stacey Dash mess. Was it just as awkward to watch as it was to hear about it?

As for the other nominated films, I still plan on watching: The Big Short, Mad Max, A Girl in the River and Inside Out.

Years
    Seems like a bit of an overreaction. I don't particularly like him, but I wouldn't blame him for being excited about his win and saying something stupid. He WAS told by someone before he went on that he was the first too, so. :U

Sir Codin

I'm glad Leo won an Oscar, since it now means people can finally shut up about him never winning. Mad Max also deserved every single award it got and more. That movie was the coolest thing I've seen in years.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2017
    I loved how Leonardo used his precious and long awaited stage moments to talk about something incredibly more important than all of that, and in a way that relates to his movie.

Also I'm sorry to say this, but all that talk about not having black people in the nominations annoyed me.
    I don't know if there was really some racist thoughts behind this, maybe you have someone black in mind who absolutely deserved a nomination and was obstructed, I don't know, but, it's not like any occurrence like that should be seen as the product of racism.
    This kind of event should award the best ones, not caring if they are white or black or what else, and that means that one time they can be all white, another time they can be all black... who cares? They're persons, and just this matters.

Years
    TBH my favourite part was Lady Gaga. " Till it happens to you". It was such a good song and I never really liked Lady Gaga but that song made me like her a bit.

Also I am glad that Leonardo has finally won an Oscar and now my fangirl class mates are happy.

Back