• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OU team!

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2011
    I recently posted a stall team, but this one is more straightforward. Without further ado, here is my OU team!

Swampert Staraptor Starmie Skarmory Blissey Genger

Swampert@Leftovers
    RELAXED Nature
    Stealth Rock
    Waterfall
    Ice Beam
    Earthquake
    252DEF/252HP/4SP.D

Swampert is my lead as well as my bulky water. He works well with my team by absorbing Electric attacks aimed at Skarmory and Starmie. He is also my main Heatran counter. I wasn't sure what nature, so I just went with Quirky because I didn't know what stat to decrease. I'm sure that's the wrong answer, so if someone could tell me a better nature, please do.

DRAGONITE@Choice Band/Scarf
    Adamant Nature
    Outrage
    Roost
    Earthquake
    Fire Blast

Dragonite replaces Staraptor as my main Physical Sweeper, mainly using Outrage to tear apart entire teams. Fire Blast deals with Scizor and Ice Types, and Roost is for healing.

Orion(Starmie)@Life Orb
    Natural Cure
    TIMID Nature
    Surf
    ICE BEAM
    Thunderbolt
    RAPID SPIN
    252SpA/252Spe/4HP

Starmie is my main Special Sweeper, and has amazing type coverage. However, I'm not sure about her moveset. I've been using Psychic over Ice Beam, but most other Starmie do the opposite so I'm not sure what to do there. Plus, Swampert already has Ice Beam so I was thinking the coverage might be redundant, and Psychic is her best shot at killing Heracross. I was also thinking of replacing Recover with Rapid Spin to help Staraptor but I'm not sure.

Skarmory@Shed Shell
    Impish Nature
    BRAVE BIRD
    Spikes
    Roost
    Roar
    252Def/180HP/76Sp.Def

Skarmory is my Physical wall and pseudohazer. He also can set up spikes, which really help out my sweepers. I use Aerial Ace over Brave Bird because I don't like the recoil damage on a wall.

Blissey@Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    Sassy Nature
    ICE BEAM
    Toxic
    Softboiled
    Aromatherapy
    252Def/252HP/4SpD

Blissey is my main Special wall. I don't have access to Seismic Toss or Wish, so this was the best I can do for her set. With her lackluster Special Attack, I went with Blizzard over Ice beam, but usually she uses Toxic anyways when she wants to do damage.

Gengar@Choice Scarf
    Rash Nature
    Shadow Ball
    Thunderbolt
    Giga Drain
    FOCUS BLAST
    252SpA/252Spe/4HP

Gengar is my revenge killer. With Choice Scarf, he outspeeds almost everything, and he can kill most pokemon in one hit thanks to his great type coverage and Special Attack. I know Giga Drain is strange, but I like it because it gives Gengar some form of healing. I was thinking about getting rid of Psychic, but I don't know what to replace it with.

Well, that's my team. Any advice you have, please share. I'm new to this whole thing, so any help I can get is appreciated!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    1. Ice Beam over Blizzard. It's there for when you get Taunted, really. Blizzard's low accuracy plus low pp will be costly.

2. You could try Scizor as your Choice Bander. It's high-useage for a reason:

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Adamant
    Technician
    248 Hp / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
    Bullet Punch
    Pursuit
    U-Turn
    Superpower/Brick Break

This thing can kill Gengar..Starmie....Tyranitar...lots of things. However, the metagame is getting more orientated towards avoiding Scizor-kills.

Here's another:

Weavile @ Choice Band/Life Orb
    Jolly
    40 Hp / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
    Pursuit
    Ice Shard
    Low Kick
    Ice Punch/Night Slash

This thing can threaten dragons with Ice Shard/Punch, effectively run with a Life Orb meaning you're not stuck on one move. It's Pursuit is twice as deadly as Scizor's due to it being able to effectively outspeed Gengar and Starmie. Low Kick hits Tyranitar, however you can't really switch in to him safely, so that'd be a revenge kill.However, you would then be vulnerable to CBScizor and Gyarados. With Gengar, Starmie and Blissety, you have a serious Scizor problem on your hands.

3. Gengar wants Focus Blast > Giga Drain, and HP Fire/Ice over Psychic. To tell the truth, you really want to go for Timid nature, and correct Hidden Powers.

4. Blissey wants Calm/Bold nature, really.

5. Swampert should go with Relaxed nature really.

6. Starmie would really benefit from Timid, but Modest should be ok.

Skarmory seems to be perfectly fine, tbh. Brave Bird or Drill Peck > Aerial Ace. Preferably Brave Bird, as it can't hit hard anyway, and Leftovers recovers the recoil damage. Shed Shell is a good choice to avoid Magnezone.

Actually, I'd suggest a Magnezone of your own, as it is capable of trapping and killing Scizor, Lucario, Skarmory and other steel-types. It can also hit Heatran and Grass-types. I prefer this set, as it can even outspeed Life Orb Gengar:

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
    Magnet Pull
    Naive
    4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Thunderbolt
    HP Fire/Ice
    Flash Cannon
    Explosion

However, a substitute set is perfectly viable, as it leaves you less vulnerable to being revenge-killed yourself. In which case, Timid nature is an option, Substitute > Flash Cannon, and an EV spread of 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe is required.

And another thing: you were right, Staraptor is your weak link. You currently have 3 electric weaknesses. Replacing it with either Magnezone, Scizor or Weavile reduces these weaknesses to just 2.

Sorry if my rate is unclear, but it looked better than it was, to start with.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

SWAMPERT

Never ever use a Pokemon with a Neutral Nature (a Nature that doesn't boost any stat). This means you should avoid Hardy, Bashful, Serious, and Quirky natures. Every Pokemon in the game needs a Nature that boosts one of their important stats while lowering their least important stat. This goes for your Swampert. If you don't know what Nature to use, look it up on Smogon.

HINT: The correct nature begins with a "R" and ends with a "D"

Also your EVs are bad. Swampert is meant to Defend not Attack. Move all Attack EVs into Defense.

STARAPTOR

Staraptor is one of those Pokemon that looks awesome on paper but kinda sucks in real battles because it's outclassed by other Pokemon who are faster and/or stronger and/or have better moves and types. In this case, Dragonite, Kingdra, Flygon, and Gyarados are way better physical sweepers because Dragon/Water STAB is way better than Normal STAB.

STARMIE

TIMID OVER MODEST ALWAYS or else you can't outspeed Gengar.
    Use Ice Beam and Recover.

SKARMORY

Aerial Ace is terrible. Brave Bird's recoil doesn't matter because you have Roost. It's not like you'll use it much anyways. Use Whirlwind over Roar on the off chance that your opponent has Soundproof.

BLISSEY

It's not that Blissey needs Speed, it's just that Sassy isn't the best nature when there's Bold or Calm. Blizzard sucks. NO, Blissey should not be focused on dealing damage. It is a WALL. Walls are supposed to defend, NOT ATTACK.

GENGAR

Giga Drain and Psychic are both terrible moves choices.
    Giga Drain is really weak and most things that learn Giga Drain can learn stronger Grass moves like Energy Ball.

Psychic is bad because it provides no significant type coverage when combined with Shadow Ball. Dark and Steel types resists Ghost, and Dark and Steel types resist Psychic too. Both Dark and Steel are weak against Fighting tough. Gengar learns a very powerful Special Fighting move. I'll let you figure out what that is since I have to go now.

Oh btw, Choice Scarf Gengar is pretty obsolete. Their are better Gengar sets out there that perform better in the current OU metagame.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Dragonite

Choice Band Roost has always been the anti-metagame move, of course :(

You should go with one of these physical options, really:

Choice Band
    Dragonite @ Choice Band
    Adamant/Jolly
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
    Outrage
    Earthquake/Waterfall
    Fire Punch
    Extremespeed

The main reasons for choosing Earthquake would be guaranteed neutral coverage on almost everything - Bronzong,Skarmory and Shedinja can be taken care of by Fire Punch. However, Waterfall can give you KOs on switch-ins such as Gengar who're looking to avoid an Earthquake, aswell as a guaranteed OHKO on Heatran. It also takes care of Gliscor and Hippowdon without getting locked in with Outrage.

Sweeper
    Dragonite @ Leftovers/Life Orb/Lum Berry
    Adamant
    252 Hp / 52 Atk / 204 Spe
    Dragon Claw/Outrage
    Dragon Dance
    Earthquake
    Roost

This gives you more sweeping opportunities, and the ability to hit 2 things in a row, rather than forcing a switch. Like mentioned above, Dragon/Ground gives brilliant neutral coverage, and Gengar/Starmie can take out the steels (although only Gengar can hit Shedinja for super-effective damage, and has to watch for Shadow Sneak). Roost is your main form of recovery, obviously. Dragon Claw/Outrage is a choice between freedom to change move/switch out, and sheer power. Most people go for Outrage. Lum Berry would be a good option with that, as you can avoid 1 set of Outrage confusion, or possibly some status thrown your way in attempts to stop you from sweeping.

And just to highlight something Aragornbird said above: Choice Scarf Gengar is, kinda obsolete. You're just asking for a Pursuit from Scizor/Tyranitar/Weavile when you're choiced. At least when you can switch moves, people are wary of a Hidden Power Fire coming their way. Go for Life Orb, Timid nature, and if you can't get Hidden Power right, Energy Ball > Giga Drain. At least you'll hit a Swampert or Hippowdon expecting Thunderbolt.

And, again, Skarmory wants Whirlwind > Roar, honestly.

Back