• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
Years
Have you ever consumed some form of media, and said "How the heck is this so praised?" or "What's with all of the love?". Post your personal experiences with this feeling here.

Personally, I find Disney's Frozen hideously overrated. It might be since I'm some pretentious hipster, but people are saying it's "The best Disney movie ever!". Never did I laugh or think to hard about it. And I get it - it's a movie aimed for a younger audience. But Disney has done a good job of including things that even older viewers can laugh it. And don't even get me started on "Let it Go".

Outlier

GTA 5 was overrated. I could go on at nauseam about what a piece of crap this game is.

Most Disney movies are overrated and teach children terrible messages.

Movies about tragedies tend to be overrated. I only say that because it seems any movie, no matter how mediocre it actually is, will end up winning an award if it's story covers aids, cancer, slavery and stuff like that.

My Little Pony. This is nothing but a hipster fad until someone can convince me otherwise.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
^ yeah, no. GTAV, no matter what you say, is an amazing technical achievement. The simple fact that they could develop such a vast and lively world AND make it playable even though they were restricted by 7-8 year old console configurations make it super impressive in itself. Sure, it can be called overrated. But to call it a 'crap' game is just...ugh, no.

I personally though Skyrim was overrated. But I could appreciate the work that went into it and the massive world it had to explore was great. I never deemed it a crap game even though I wasn't a super big fan of it.

As for movies/tv series - I think Avengers is slightly overrated. It is a fun movie, yes, but not 'the very best superhero action flick EVAR!!'. I liked it. But not as much as a lot of people did, apparently.

Outlier

^ Hahahaha you call Skyrim overrated yet praise GTA 5? Ahahahahahahahahaha infinite lulz!

Seriously though your criticism of Skyrim sums up exactly how I feel about GTA 5. A great open world, BUT the game itself failed to impress me. Part of that was due to the hype this game got, and a lot of it is due to the game itself just failing on so many levels.

The single player story was cut short for a supposedly revolutionary online mode, which I think is so restrictive and boring that I can't even play it for 5 minutes without switching to another game anymore. Having to grind through missions to buy weapons and ammo which we should already have from the get-go like in GTA 4's online. The whole thing is just a trick to keep you playing modes that wouldn't be touched by players half as much under normal circumstances.

Keep playing 10 of our generic co-op missions to buy an expensive in-game apartment that you can't even do anything of interest in. *yawn*

Not to mention the Bad Sport system and Passive Mode which are everything that is contrary to what GTA stands for!

Franklin had no personality and felt tacked on.

The cops prevent any kind of potential fun to be had thanks to the retarded way Rockstar programmed them. They spawn instantly now to where you are even if you're in the middle of a mountain far from civilization. They never miss when they shoot, they're ridiculously hard to escape unless you're in a fast car and even then it's noticeably harder than in previous GTA's. And pretty much everything you do in this game triggers a wanted level: standing in front of a civilian too long, fighting a civilian with your fists, killing just one civilian, two if you're lucky, even firing more than a couple of bullets into an inanimate object seems to trigger the popo. It's that kind of realism that doesn't belong in GTA.

Those are just a few reasons why I think, no scratch that, why I KNOW GTA sucks!

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
Movies about tragedies tend to be overrated. I only say that because it seems any movie, no matter how mediocre it actually is, will end up winning an award if it's story covers aids, cancer, slavery and stuff like that.

I would put a lot of evidence on the word "tend" there. That said, I do think you're right in saying that if it covers a tragedy of some sort it usually wins. The moral of the story is if you want to win, base it on a tragedy I suppose. But at the same time, I thought Heath Ledger's posthumous oscar for the Dark Knight was a little bit of an overreaction until I actually saw his performance. Now I don't watch a lot of tragedy films so I don't know for sure, but maybe they actually are something worth raving about?

As for movies/tv series - I think Avengers is slightly overrated. It is a fun movie, yes, but not 'the very best superhero action flick EVAR!!'. I liked it. But not as much as a lot of people did, apparently.

It's Joss Whedon. You're not allowed to criticise {XD} It's certainly not the best superhero film ever, but it is a decent film. Just keep in mind that if the people you're talking to about it are like the people I talk to about it, they're more than likely hardcore Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse/Firefly/Serenity fans and will not tolerate a bad word against their all powerful overlord Joss Whedon {XD}

Personally, I think the Magic: The Gathering Card game is waaaaaaay overrated by the peeps I know. I've played it a few times and have found it to be ridiculously overpowered and overly frustrating. A game where you can't remove mana/land/whatever from play is way too OP imo.

Other than that, usually if something is being raved about there's probably a reason. That Or I'm a mindless sheep who follows the herd...

derozio

Years
If it sucked as hard as you said it did, my friend, you won't have people going on and on about how good the story, action and all that **** is. :p Skyrim is just bland. I wouldn't even harbor thoughts of touching it again if it weren't for the excellent mod support by PC community. Those make the game fun. :p Also, ask anyone about it and they'll tell you that game mechanics-wise Skyrim isn't the best game ever. Read any review. It is almost universally accepted that the mechanics aren't perfect. Some even call them outdated. Not so in GTAV's case. You're pretty much the first person who I've met online to criticise the mechanics so much. And that says a lot.

But I understand that you dislike GTAV. And you've given your reasons. I understand. But still, my point stands, it isn't a crap game. It is a technical achievement and nothing changes that. My argument never was whether or not GTAV is overrated. Neither did I say that Skyrim is a crap game. I merely wanted to say that former isn't a crap game and the latter I find overrated. Not crap. I don't think Skyrim is absolute turd. It is a decent game. I even said I loved the world they crafted. :p It was just boring after a while.

Outlier

That whole "if it isn't good then why is it so popular?" argument is a load of crap. I could say the same thing about Justin Bieber or Twilight. Those are just two mainstream examples of absolute garbage that our culture ate up.

And before anyone says it's all subjective, then you should say the same thing about whether something is overrated or not. Therefore you shouldn't even be posting in this thread since we're talking about things that are overrated.

I don't use that cop-out argument though. Some things are objectively bad and a lot of people are just stupid sheep who latch onto things for the most shallow of reasons.

derozio

Years
I'm not using the 'Its more popular therefore good' argument. That's just stupid.

I'm talking about people's impressions and professional reviews. Real gamers. They're entirely different things. Don't even see how you got that mixed up with the number of copies it sells. You'll see a lot of people talk **** about Twilight and Justin Bieber. Hell, if we're talking games, you should've used CoD as an example. Those games are super popular. They sell a ****ton. But everyone knows those games are just rehashes of previous iterations. Almost every gamer I see online who isn't the 'lulz this is popular imma like it' kind of person say that CoD has mostly been crap for the most part after CoD: MW. Those games being rehashes is an objective thing and almost anyone with a brain says that. Even professional reviewers do. No matter how much people say they get paid off and ****, they almost every year admit that these games have been the same old same old.

What I'm trying to get here is - if something is wrong, objectively speaking, people take note of it. And you'll see a LOT of people voice their concern about it online. Professional reviewers on site like Eurogamer and Destructoid note all of them in their reviews. Objective facts don't go unnoticed. The fact that CoDs are rehashes don't go unnoticed. Bieber/Twilight are bad signer/films don't go unnoticed. People talk about them being rehashes and being bad online respectively. But if GTAV's mechanics are SO bad, why do I not hear an equivalent amount of noise over it? Why aren't people talking about things you're deeming objectively bad?

Outlier

You're still just using the subjective opinions of other people to fuel your argument. Whether you're focusing on the opinions of the masses or just the upper echelon of gaming reviewers they are still just giving their opinion at the end of the day. Even professional reviewers can and do give into the hype with certain things or overlook crucial flaws.

Also it took many years and tedious cod releases before most professional reviewers started giving the game any serious flack, and even then it still scored pretty damn high in most places and still does to this day.

And in most of those popular franchises that you mentioned. There are/were far more people who mindlessly praised those franchises compared to the people who offered constructive criticism and listed objective reasons as to why they sucked.

derozio

Years
But then we can't come to an agreement. Because then there ought to be some way to measure what is 'objectively' bad - if the opinion of masses don't work for you, fine, I thought of talking about specific group of people I personally trust/reviewing sites I trust and then you bring up the 'even then that's subjective because, at the end of the day, its their opinion' thing. I mean, I can't just take what YOU say to be an objective fact, can I?

and no. I see people bash Bieber/Twilight/CoD left and right. Seriously. For every 1 person who praise them, 99 condemn them. So don't see where the last para is coming from.

As for reviewers scoring CoD games high - those games have a great multiplayer. They give good scores solely on that basis. Read ghost's review on Eurogamer, for example. Either way, scores are irrelevant. My point was that objective facts do not go unnoticed. CoD games being rehashes is agreed upon by almost everyone because that's objective. If GTAV was objectively a bad game based on its game mechanics, I'd surely have heard of it somewhere. If not at Eurogamer or destrictoid then somewhere else. But I didn't. Again, we come back to my question in the first para of this post - how do I judge objectivity if not for the opinions of trusted reviewers/experienced gamers?

Outlier

No I was just saying that there is no concrete 100% full proof source that you can always go to in order to get objective reviews. Because you used the fact that professional video game reviewers gave GTA V a high score as a reason that it's a great game. That's sycophant logic.

derozio

Years
This was never about scores, dude. Why are you so fixated on them? :x

My main point was this and this alone - objectivity is something that, if present in a statement, can be seen across a lot of people's opinions. Sure, there are bound to be those that still disagree with it but if something is objective then there are going to be a lot of people who support the idea as well. And I'm simply failing to see reviewers, and those I trust in particular, mention anything about the 'objectively' bad aspects of the game that YOU brought up.

And it isn't like they're all praises, either. Many of them have criticised the driving mechanics as well as the inclusion of unnecessarily violent and disturbing sequences like the torture sequence. The latter, especially, got a lot of flak. It can be considered one objectively bad aspect of the game because it received almost universal condemnation. Screw universal condemnation, I fail to see even one single professional reviewer mention the game mechanics and 'horrifyingly bad' phrases in the same sentence. I haven't seen anyone criticise the mechanics to such a degree as you did. How, then, can I believe what you're saying is objectively true? It doesn't become an objectively bad game just because you say so. Calling it overrated is fine, perhaps even true yes, but just downright deeming it a failure and calling its mechanics 'bad' AND saying that it is objectively true is not something I can believe unless 1) I find a good chunck of mature, 'not 13 year old spoiled swearing brat' gamers call a game out for it or 2) a few of the sources I trust (based on my past experiences with various games over the course of years) say so. Or, if you have some alternatives, please point me towards them. But I don't think there are any. First sentence of your latest post says so.

Edit: @person who mentioned avengers - lol yeah, I guess there are rabid fanboys like that who'd punch me for criticising it haha. Fortunately, none of my real life friends are like that. Online people I couldn't give a **** about. They'd mostly try to troll me but then I'd block them or something lol.

Last edited:

Outlier

I'm not fixated at all. Okay you didn't mention scores but you did use the fact that this game was praised in many reviews as a reason for it being a good game. Semantics really.

I wasn't trying to convince you that my opinions on this game are facts. I simply listed the reasons why I think GTA 5 is a bad game and overrated. You're the one who tried to use the general consensus of others to counterpoint my personal complaints of the game. I never said other people were wrong for praising the game either, I just said that you can't use other people, whether they're professional gaming reviewers or not, as a 100% full proof source of legitimate and unbiased opinions.

derozio

Years
www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8041883&postcount=7
This post made me think that you're trying to pass off your opinions as facts. Hell, the last sentence of your first post in the thread itself imply it - 'why I think, no, scratch that, I KNOW GTAV sucks'. But if that's not the case then okay. I guess I'm done here. And no, I never intended to point out that it was a great game or anything using reviews and stuff. All I wanted to say was that those specific complaints you had weren't noted by any reviewer I follow. Pointing out the fact that your grievances are not common among grievances of professional reviewers doesn't equal me implying 'lel it got a good score so a good game'.

Outlier

Exactly! You were trying to discredit my complaints of this game by pointing out that most reviewers didn't have the same opinion as me. You just admitted to what I was saying this whole time. I am now done here also, good day sir!

derozio

Years
I wasn't trying to discredit anything. My whole argument was based on the fact that you were trying to pass off your complaints about the game as geniune problems which were objectively true. Not just your own problems with the game. Subjectivity was what I was arguing against. You can say 'In my opinion, GTAV sucks fat donkey balls' and I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Because 'in my opinion' is present there, you know. :p

Years
- Commercial music in general, like Chris Brown, Drake and Justin Weener.
- Twilight saga, I saw the first one (didn't pick it) and I found it a less than average movie.
- IPhone
- Instagram and Twitter

I pretty much dislike all of the above..

Poki

Banned
Years
Call of Duty.
My Little Pony.
One Direction.
I agree. However, I must go even further and expand the list:

- Austin Mahone
- Justin Beaver

Since there are a lot of overrated pop-stars these days, I'm gonna stop here, because I don't feel like writing out hundreds of names. Moving on...

- Minecraft
- Nutella
- Bacon
- Starbucks
- Instagram
- Angry Birds
- Candy Crush
- Ugg(ly) boots
- Pokémon 1st gen. (Come at me, Genwunners bros)

And the list goes on...

Some aren't necessarily bad (Nutella, bacon, Minecraft), but they are indeed overrated. I'm not sorry, hipsters, but the truth had to be spoken.

Back