• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Look, can we all just stop giving Sideshow Bob what he wants by continuing to try to reason with him?

He just wants to argue so he can be an ass to everyone else and get away with it.

So please, leave him alone and let him rant. Eventually he'll get bored of it.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Hah. Their songs are mostly poorly written love songs that have no subtlety at all. Why do you think the majority of their followers are preteen girls?

Funny, how you're saying that, their fans are much older than you, some fans have finished school and are in college or out working, poorly written love songs? That sounds very much like the words of a bandwagon hater. Their songs aren't poorly written, maybe, you need to listen to their songs and stop believing whatever the bandwagon haters tell you.

Demon Days

Element of Magic
Years
Funny, how you're saying that, their fans are much older than you, some fans have finished school and are in college or out working, poorly written love songs? That sounds very much like the words of a bandwagon hater. Their songs aren't poorly written, maybe, you need to listen to their songs and stop believing whatever the bandwagon haters tell you.
Who said anything about the bandwagon? No, I believe that they're poorly written love songs, and honestly if you look at the lyrics properly there is no depth at all, it's just saying I LOVE YOU AAAAAA
You want a good song with at least a bit of depth in it? [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogMNV33AhCY]Here you go.[/ame] While yes, it does seem to be related slightly to love, that's not the problem with 1D. The problem with them is literally no subtlety, and not only that but the fact that nearly every single song has the same theme: blah blah blah I love you blah blah blah or blah blah blah dance blah blah blah. Their voices aren't that bad, but it doesn't always have to be about the people themselves. Of course, there will be people that like 1D that aren't preteen girls, but face it: that's pretty much the audience. Preteen to late teen girls. Sticking your fingers in your ears and going BLAH BLAH BLAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU won't help you.

Of course, eye of the beholder and all that, but face it: you're outnumbered here, everyone has good reasons, that might give you the impression that maybe you're wrong on this account.
Also Cecil is better and The Simpsons went to ♥♥♥♥ after season 8 what with all the guest stars and repetitive plots

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
I seriously think people on this topic are being a little too disrespectful to each other. We're allowed to have the minority opinion about something - I'm sure you'd do the same for your friends. My friends respect the fact that I dislike Lorde even though most of them like her. It's perfectly normal to think something's overrated because it's popular - overrated things have a tendency to be popular. However, oftentimes one can think of other reasons to think of why something is overrated. I think Avatar is overrated for more reasons than just popularity. To me, the plot seems so generic and like something we've seen a million times before, when you break it down. The characters aren't exactly interesting either, especially the protagonist. These are two factors that make me think Avatar is overrated.

The definition of overrated, according to Wiktionary, is as follows:

overrated (comparative more overrated, superlative most overrated)
Given an undue amount of credit for quality or merit in a field; not necessarily related to popularity.

Basically, when you think that something is overrated, you think that it is being given more praise (especially in terms of quality or positive recognition) than you think it deserves. It can relate to popularity (and frequently has a lot to do with popularity), though it's not required to. For example, a person who believes that Lorde's singing ability is average or below average would feel this way in regards to the amount of praise she has gotten. My example with Avatar provides a reason why I don't think it's deserving of the amount of praise it gets. However, the definition of "overrated" is frequently abused on the Internet, especially because a lot of people say something is overrated without a good reason to back it up.

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
I seriously think people on this topic are being a little too disrespectful to each other. We're allowed to have the minority opinion about something - I'm sure you'd do the same for your friends. My friends respect the fact that I dislike Lorde even though most of them like her. It's perfectly normal to think something's overrated because it's popular - overrated things have a tendency to be popular. However, oftentimes one can think of other reasons to think of why something is overrated. I think Avatar is overrated for more reasons than just popularity. To me, the plot seems so generic and like something we've seen a million times before, when you break it down. The characters aren't exactly interesting either, especially the protagonist. These are two factors that make me think Avatar is overrated.

I agree. You put it so well. I have the minority opinion on numerous things, and it can be hard for me to express.

Since I saw you mentioning fairy tales the other day...it made me think since I'm obsessed with fairy tales. I personally find Hans Christian Andersen to be very overrated among fairy tale writers. I admit, I do like some of his stories, like The Nightingale, The Ugly Duckling, and The Snow Queen, but most of them kind of bore me to tears and don't really seem that exciting to picture in my head. Plus a lot of the common elements don't really appeal to me or IMO have been done better by other writers. I think the fairy tales of Charles Perrault, Madame d'Aulnoy, and the Brothers Grimm were much more interesting to read. The first two are especially exciting because it seems like no one really reads Perrault anymore (read his Sleeping Beauty - it's an amazing story that actually continues after the girl wakes up to go into a whole second plot line). Most of you probably have never heard of Madame d'Aulnoy, but trust me - her stories are AWESOME! (They've got things like flying dolphins and fire-spitting turkeys, and are clearly not for kids.) The Brothers Grimm do have some overrated stories, but they have tons of underrated stories as well. Most of my favorite Grimm stories are the ones that no one talks about. They've got over 200 stories. (Several were featured on Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics.) People only seem to talk about the ultra-popular ones like Snow White and Hansel and Gretel or the gorefests like The Juniper Tree. There's many more Grimm stories that no one ever talks about. My three favorite Brothers Grimm stories are Jorinde and Joringel, The Water of Life, and The Iron Stove, none of which are that popular in the US (the first one is popular in Germany, but the other two are not).

I also really happen to think that the whole Justin Bieber hatedom (namely, the use through YouTube and Internet memes) is overrated. I admit, I hate JB as much as the next guy, but I seriously think that people should give it a rest. We get it, he sounds younger than he is and he wears his pants too low - we don't have to hear it over 9000 times. A lot of the same jokes are being used over and over again. Plus threatening him is just plain mean.

Last edited:

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Back to topic, overrated series for me are Attack on Titan, Fairy Tail, and Naruto.
Underrated series are One Piece (yeah a lot of people hate on it...why?), Bleach, SAO (Okay second arc was meh but still)

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
People hate on One Piece?? Never noticed, myself i love that anime!

What i found to be overrated was the movie Marvel Avengers (Please dont kill me).
I do like it, really, but the first time i saw it people had been telling me how great it was and that it was the best movie they have ever seen and all that kinda stuff, so i expected this incredibly amazing film, and when i was done i thought to myself: "really? Best movie ever? I dont think so..."

Last edited:

PkmnTrainerElio

Years
I also really happen to think that the whole Justin Bieber hatedom (namely, the use through YouTube and Internet memes) is overrated. I admit, I hate JB as much as the next guy, but I seriously think that people should give it a rest. We get it, he sounds younger than he is and he wears his pants too low - we don't have to hear it over 9000 times. A lot of the same jokes are being used over and over again. Plus threatening him is just plain mean.

Agreed, they have no real reasons to "hate" him, until 2013. "He's gay/lesbian" that is just homophobic and stupid, "he has no talent" then why is he out their doing something with his life and they aren't? And that is also an underestimate, when he taught himself to play four instruments, writes most of his songs, with some help, come on, you can't expect a 20-year-old to write perfect songs, he even changed his musical direction to be taken seriously. Honestly, I think the whole hatred towards him in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 was bandwagon hate, until 2013 when he was being a complete douchebag and tosser.

Goomy Gumi

Gooey Vocaloid
Years
I do agree that some of the Justin Bieber hate (like actual HATE) was unjustified until he made some poor life choices. Before all that stuff, I mostly just respected his music but didn't obsess over him.

For me, Frozen (as stated in the first post) is one of the newest overrated works. It was good, but it didn't deserve all the hype that it got.

Actually, almost anything that targets teens/preteens gets overrated, now that I think of it. For example, I hear nothing except Divergent talk from some younger people I know since the movie is coming out soon. Again, the books were good, but the obsession was ridiculous. The past two years, I saw it with The Hunger Games. Before that, Twilight.

PkmnTrainerElio

Years
I do agree that some of the Justin Bieber hate (like actual HATE) was unjustified until he made some poor life choices. Before all that stuff, I mostly just respected his music but didn't obsess over him.

For me, Frozen (as stated in the first post) is one of the newest overrated works. It was good, but it didn't deserve all the hype that it got.

Actually, almost anything that targets teens/preteens gets overrated, now that I think of it. For example, I hear nothing except Divergent talk from some younger people I know since the movie is coming out soon. Again, the books were good, but the obsession was ridiculous. The past two years, I saw it with The Hunger Games. Before that, Twilight.

Everything you said I agree with.

1. He was just hated for being successful at a young age, had androgynous looks and was a late bloomer, that's very judgmental the hate he got, he never deserved it, he was just this talented kid living his dream, but, people decided to make fun of him, bully him and jump on a stupid bandwagon to look "cool" and fit in.

2. Not even going to watch that dammed movie, can't stand it because of the hype it has.

3. AGREED! I cannot stand hearing about "Divergent", "50 shades of grey" and "Hunger Games", as much as I like Harry Potter, I am glad the hype died down.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Everything you said I agree with.
1. He was just hated for being successful at a young age, had androgynous looks and was a late bloomer, that's very judgmental the hate he got, he never deserved it, he was just this talented kid living his dream, but, people decided to make fun of him, bully him and jump on a stupid bandwagon to look "cool" and fit in.

YOU DONT LIKE WAT I LIKE SO YER STOOPID AND A BULLY!!!111

Seriously. Calm down. Many people dislike Justin Bieber and One Direction. Get over it. Lots of people don't like the music I like, and do you know how I react? I don't. You know why? Because I'm secure enough in my tastes to not insult people who don't share them.

I have some news for you: Most people who dislike Bieber and One Direction simply dislike them. Whether it be for their music (Which I personally find cliche and simplistic) or their lifestyle choices (Such as Bieber's questionable behavior and run-ins with the law), we simply don't share your tastes. You seem to think that those of us who don't share your taste in music spend all of our time ranting about Justin Bieber and One Direction. We don't. We're simply normal people with different tastes in music.

Disliking something doesn't mean obsessing over how much you hate it. For example, I don't like My Little Pony. I tried it, but I didn't really get into it. However, I don't spend all my time scheming about how I can piss off Bronies (Most of whom I don't have any problem with), or ranting about Bronies and My Little Pony. I simply dislike the show and thus don't consider myself part of that fandom.

Long story short, lots of people don't like One Direction and Justin Bieber, get over it, and stop ranting about it.

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 10, 2014
Honestly I dislike One Piece. I prefer Naruto.

It's quite obvious from this thread that this "theory" is true:

If people like something, people will dislike it because they like it (though they don't like to admit it). If people dislike something, other people will like it because those people dislike.

It's mostly just an attempt to be "different". Now I'm not saying that's the sole reason why say person likes/dislikes say thing, but that's often the bases of it.

People dislike Justin Bieber because they believe his fangirls (or boys) are annoying, and thus they dislike him. Some people will try to move around with excuses like "His music is bad too, it's not his fangirls" or something like that, but it's usually the first reason. They probably haven't even listened to any of his songs. lol

I uh, enjoy Attack on Titan as well. I've never seen first hand the so called "terrible fanbase" that it has, so I think it deserves the hype it has gotten.

I had more to type, but I can't remember anything.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
Years
The Last of Us was meh at its best moments, terrible at its worst.
Subbed anime is often just as bad or worse than dubbed anime.
The original pokemon games were near unplayable.
Cowboy Bebop was okay.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
Years
Call of Duty. The fanbase...urgh. The games are okay to be honest, but the people who play them..nuh uh. All the praise it gets from its fans, too, circulates, sucking people in.

Frozen. Prime example of overratedness. Everywhere I go, there's someone singing a song from that damn movie...if I hear "Let it Go" one more time, things will happen. :I

The big 3 of anime. Naruto/One Piece/Bleach. Known for being long, tedious and filler..filled. Naruto especially, it's nothing but rasengan after rasengan. "Oh, Naruto, how do we defeat the Akatsuki?" "NEW RASENGAN FORMS!!!!1!111" It's just an anime about Naruto's developing rasengan.

Also, this JB discussion. I was neutral about him till I came across I few of his so called "beliebers"...it's like, this guy makes some, to be quite honest, above average music, but his fanbase is just appalling? How? Now, I know some of them can be nice (I know a few that are just delightful), but most are controlling and just ready to stab the hell out of you if you say one wrong thing about him. That's not how a fanbase should be like. I'm still neutral, and I've seen both sides of the spectrum, but Justin Bieber doesn't have the nicest wall surrounding him.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
People hate on One Piece?? Never noticed, myself i love that anime!

What i found to be overrated was the movie Marvel Avengers (Please dont kill me).
I do like it, really, but the first time i saw it people had been telling me how great it was and that it was the best movie they have ever seen and all that kinda stuff, so i expected this incredibly amazing film, and when i was done i thought to myself: "really? Best movie ever? I dont think so..."

Avengers was a good movie, but just that: good. It's one of the highest-grossing movies of all time, but it's mostly due to hype IMO. As an artistic piece, it isn't THAT great. Most certainly not worth sharing a shelf with the likes of Titanic, that's for sure.

Back