• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pain of Broken DS Button

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    The only game I ever played on the DS was Pokemon. Recently I bought Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I got an hour into the game, was having so much fun, then I have the press the Right Bumper to use the hammer. And the button doesn't work!!! Pokemon never uses that button, so I don't know when it broke.

I only spent $8 on the game but that was so painful. I tryied cleaning the button and all that, but i think the spring is broken from what I've read online. the trade in value is $10 - so not worth it. And sending it in for repairs would cast as much as a used DS. ARGH!

I need to share my pain. I was REALY looking forward to playing that game.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    ah, i had the same problem :P

my little cousin was playing my ds and ruining the same button, but it eventually healed itself over time for some reason :)

lucky me.

and i now hide all electronic games when little people come over :P

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
    I tried blwing on it, using can of air, and other stuff, it didn't seem to have any affect.

And the L button dosent change the action command. Too bad.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    My DS has the R broken. It used to have the L, but I fell in a pool with my DS in the pocket (yeah, dem failz) and now it works. However, the R is broken completely, as the spring is really loose, and I can hardly press the button. It means no drifting Mario Kart or diagonal walking in Mystery Dungeon for me. :/

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
    All the buttons on my DS Lite still work. My brother's is a different story though. He has a DSi and a DS Lite and on his DSi both the L and R buttons don't work and on his DS Lite the mic doesn't work so when he was playing Bowser's Inside Story he was having to switch between his two DS's. I thought it was pretty funny. :p

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    The L & R on my old DS Phat stopped working awhile back, which is (one of) the reasons I got my Lite. Sadly, those same buttons are starting to work intermittently on my Lite, which may be telling me I need to invest in a 3DS...

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    My buttons do that too. You have to keep pressing them. That's how I got it to work.

Graphical

Beep beep boop
    Years
    Yeah, it happened to me aswell, except with my L button. Which means I can't play Sonic & Sega and a good few other games, unless I play on my DS Lite. With the bad touch screen/

Years
    I've felt your pain before at one point I wasn't able to beat Sonic Rush because of it but then I looked up how to fix the r/l buttons and found out that there may be dust inside of them so to solve the problem all I had to do was blow into them.

Speed

Skyward
    Years
    My shoulder buttons are broken on both of my DSes, it's the worst. I have to press down really hard so I can get it to input. x_x

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    And sending it in for repairs would cast as much as a used DS. ARGH!
    So? If you don't want to or can't pay, you could open the thing up and fix it yourself, assuming whatever concerned parts are out of place and not actually broken (I'd imagine replacement parts to be proprietary). This notion assumes some technical competence on your part, though; and I think would void your warranty should it still stand (though I don't suppose it does, else you could get your repairs done freely).

Maybe you should move on to a DSi instead, if they're backwards-compatible — just a thought.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    My DS lite is broken too. The L button just doesn't work. I've tried blowing in it, pressing it down real hard, but it fails to respond. I currently void of the funds needed to get another one. I don't want to get a DSi, though. (It does not support GBA games- which sucks.)

Years
    Wow that must really suck, my DS Lite works perfectly, but than again if it wouldnt i would let fix it or get another one, it really annoys me when i know that something doesnt work

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    Try having the top screen break, but everything else working perfectly.

THERE IS A GAME UP THERE.

YOU JUST CAN'T SEE IT.

But you can play it. Derp.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    @Shanghai Alice: You poor, poor thing. It's annoying enough playing PMD: Explorers of Time without the ability to use a set mov via L. It would be almost impossible to play with the screen broke!

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I've had that problem for awhile. Pokémon works fine on it, but I cannot play RuneFactory without it, and my Game Shark is pretty much useless. I'm a little glad about the latter though, so I'm not tempted to use it. XD

Putting your mouth around the button and blowing does the trick sometimes, but not always. It seemed dumb to me when I first read it, but everything else failed so I said "what the heck?" And the buttons worked fine for awhile, but they didn't last.

Back