• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pain & The Tower Tycoon

Sho7gun

IV Inquisitor
Years
  • Pain is a word that my head recognises well at the moment. I have been trying to get to floor 100 of the battle tower in D/P.
    So far the best I have managed in either Single or Double Battling is floor 30....

At floor 21 in the Single Challenge I came across and defeated the Tower Tycoon.
    For defeating him you get 20BP for that 7 win streak instead of 3 & each of your team at the time get a special Ribbon each for beating him.

Back to topic.
    I have tried a few things recently but my most interesting idea is this:

Slot1: Furret
    Moves: (Trick, U-Turn, Slam, either Sunny Day or Protect)
    Hold Item: Toxic Orb

Slot2: Venusaur
    Moves (Leed Seed, Sleep Powder,Frenzy Plant, Solar Beam).
    Hold Item: Leftovers

Slot 3: I am having trouble filling slot 3...
    Wailord is too slow
    Honchrow is too Flimsy in defense.
    Magnezone is ok....just slow again....
    Ive considered using a Legendary in this slot too. Mainly Zapdos or Azelf.

If anyone is having more success than me can they please advise? :)

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Venusaur's set is awful, tbh.

Well, Leech Seed and Sleep Powder are fine, actually. It's the attacks that are problematic.

Frenzy Plant is awful in anything serious. Imagine Venusaur's your last pokemon: "Frenzy Plant!"- haha, I KO'd your Rhyperior Palmer! Oh wait, Milotic came out, it's a 2HKO, but I'm slower...crap!

Hyper Beam variants are bad, as they can blow an entire match.

Solar Beam is too reliant on Sunny Day....I would advise Energy Ball or Grass Knot, and something like Synthesis to keep it alive longer.

Honchkrow is actually good, with an immunity to psychic, which can hit Venusaur bad.....it also has an immunity to ground, which is useful. Give it Sucker Punch, and it's a force to be reckoned with.

I'd suggest an Ambipom as your lead, to pass speed to Venusaur and Honchkrow.

Don't mean to sound like I'm building your whole team for you, but try this, if it's possible, as I used this team, and it worked up to 40:

Pain & The Tower Tycoon

Fake Out / Baton Pass / Agility / U-Turn
    Holding Focus Sash.
    Ability: Technician

Fake Out can flinch things, but watch out for Inner Focus (i.e. Palmer's Dragonite). The main strategy is to Agility, then Baton Pass to overcome your other pokemon's speed problems. U-Turn is there incase there's something fast that can KO you, as Focus Sash only works once per battle. It can also be used to wear down opponents whilst keeping out of harm's way. Technician ability is required, as with it, Ambipom's STAB boosted Fake Out packs more of a punch.

Pain & The Tower Tycoon

Sleep Powder / Leech Seed / Leaf Storm / Protect

Once Ambipom has given it some speed, Venusaur is extremely dangerous. Fast Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, and Protect to keep attacks from hitting. Leaf Storm is good to use once, however if you plan to attack more often, then use Energy Ball or Grass Knot. Bear in mind that grass knot is weak against lighter opponents.

Pain & The Tower Tycoon

Heat Wave / Superpower / Sucker Punch / Night Slash

Honchkrow is brilliant, tbh, albeit a bit slow. Hence, keep Ambipom alive to pass speed boosts to it! Superpower has cutbacks, but is good, as not many birds get fighting moves. Likewise, Zapdos is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that gets Heat Wave. If you've got speed boosts, Night Slash is better thanks to its' critical hit ratio, but if you're slower, and they're likely to attack, Sucker Punch is brilliant.

My advice on using this would be to pass speed to Honchkrow first, in an attempt to sweep fast, rather than stall every game with Venusaur. However, if you use Superpower a couple of times, either only use Heat Wave, or switch him out to remove the stat drops.

Sho7gun

IV Inquisitor
    Years
  • thanks alot for your advice :) you dont need to worry about maybe building my team for me, these are all really good suggestions.
    I have all the tools I need to put it all together so Ill let you know how it goes :)

Thanks again ^^

Project.

Tarot reading;
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    There's always the classic Wobbuffet. Please note I'm not a genius at this stuff

Wobbuffet @Leftovers
    ~ Encore
    ~ Counter
    ~ Mirror Coat
    ~ Safeguard / Tickle

Honchkrow is simply amazing, tbh. It has the ability to sweep once it's got some speed.

Amore's Honchy set is the best its gonna get. But you can always consider replacing Night Shade for Brave Bird.

An interesting set I had come up with was to Trick a Black sludge onto Dragonite. Toxic+black sludge= Death.

But I can't think of a good moveset that could take advantage of that.

Sho7gun

IV Inquisitor
    Years
  • There's always the classic Wobbuffet. Please note I'm not a genius at this stuff

Thanks Project. ^^ I cant remember where I got this quote from but i use it in response to your quote :)

Professionals are predictable but the world is full of Dangerous Amatuers :)

For Example:

My friend (Who is nowhere near as pokeknowledgeable as half of you people!!) suggested this idea which seems more crazy than efficient...he suggested my lead monster should be

REGISTEEL

SUPERPOWER
    CURSE
    SUNNY DAY
    EXPLOSION..... O.o "

this would have passed the sunny day on....venusaur or the caster to hold Heat Rock.....its a nice idea....but explosion is just way too risky for Singles.
    I guess what Im trying to say is that don't write yourself out because any idea can work :)

Thanks again :)

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    That is actually epic....Curse negates your loss of Superpower...I wouldn't recommend Sunny Day until you're going to explode, as you'd be powering up super-effective fire-type moves.....

But yeah, in theory, you use Superpower and Curse until they run out, Sunny Day, then explode. You'll even take a chunk out of Rhyperior with Explosion...

Back