• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Paper Mario series

Neslug

Overgrown Slug
Years
  • I can't believe there wasn't a thread for this already, so now it has been fixed.

So, I like the Paper Mario series as a whole. My favorite of the three is by far the one on the Nintendo GameCube, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. In fact, it's my favorite game ever (with Donkey Kong Country 2 coming second).

The first in series, Paper Mario for the Nintendo 64, wasn't all that great in my opinion, as Bowser just didn't make a believable villain, the dialogue was mostly boring, the music wasn't as good as in the other two games in the series (I'm not talking about sound quality, rather melody) and the game had overall very low difficulty. But on the good side, you didn't need to level up much in order to advance in the game and wasn't as frustrating as many other Mario titles.

As some of you might already guess, I didn't really like the latest title in the series, Super Paper Mario for the Nintendo Wii, either. It pretty much took out the exploring element from the series, in my opinion, as there no longer were Star Piece panels scattered all over the game and fewer secrets in general. And to top that off, the turn-based battles had been thrown out the window and replaced with platforming, making it too easy to dodge attacks and score multiple hits yourself. The game went back in evolution and didn't offer enough challenge to satisfy me. The Pit of 100 Trials dungeons, at first, offered something interesting and new, but soon grew old as you ventured through the, you guessed it, hundred floors of the dungeon. And let's not even get started with the annoingly straightforward gameplay...and you don't get to play as Peach or Bowser as often as you would like to and instead Mario can beat 90% of the game alone. But the dialogue was funny, music great and the story rather touching, so it made for an overall good game.

My favorite of the three, however, offered me pretty much what the others did, as well as some things the other two just couldn't deliver.

Depth and difficulty. Even after beating the main story, you could try and survive the deadly Pit of 100 Trials, find all Star Pieces, get your mitts on all Badges and uncover all Shine Sprites. Those combined can easily make for over a hundred hours of gameplay (assuming you don't use a guide, which you shouldn't if you consider yourself a true gamer). That's twice as much as the other two games in the series combined.

...yeah, I sometimes get a little carried away when I talk about games. Sorry about that. And again, those are just my opinions; feel free to share yours.

Tl;dr = TTYD rocks.

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    I LOVE the Paper Mario series. I kind've agree with your order but I think the first Paper Mario was a LOT better than the second. Admittedly, TTYD was better in every way (graphics, sound, etc.) except for the story. Sure it was great and all the individual chapters were fantastically played out but I didn't really like the introduction of the X-Nauts and Grodus. Despite the original story being completely overused, no one can beat the Bowser as the main villain, which is what made N64 Paper Mario the best. It was simple and intuitive.

The Wii version didn't "wow" me at all. The 2D-3D is a nice feature but other than that it's just another platformer. I liked the original and TTYD for the RPG elements and since they took it out for SPM, I just lost interest.

PM > TTYD > SPM. <3

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    Good game series. I think I like the original the best. TTYD is great as well, but I don't feel like it's as good as the first, primarily because it just feels like more of the same.

Neslug

Overgrown Slug
    Years
  • I LOVE the Paper Mario series. I kind've agree with your order but I think the first Paper Mario was a LOT better than the second. Admittedly, TTYD was better in every way (graphics, sound, etc.) except for the story.
    Yeah, the original is good, but I don't really like how it felt so...kiddy, somehow. I know, that's a plain stupid thing to say about a game, but...I don't really like how Bowser's personality changed after the release of Paper Mario. The old Bowser was evil, okay, but the Bowser of this day just drives in a kart with Mario and tells jokes. Something just doesn't match and it hurts his character as a whole. Not saying he is a terrible villain, just that I can't take Bowser seriously anymore.

I didn't really like the introduction of the X-Nauts and Grodus.
    They've introduced a new main villain for every Mario RPG besides Paper Mario, and I think it has worked just fine. Grodus was intelligent and cool as ice while his goofy minions compensated for his serious demeanor.

The Wii version didn't "wow" me at all. The 2D-3D is a nice feature but other than that it's just another platformer. I liked the original and TTYD for the RPG elements and since they took it out for SPM, I just lost interest.
    I could say the same. Fast-paced platformers and slowly progressing RPGs just don't mix. Or maybe they just did some things wrong.

Thanks, it's always nice to have someone to talk to.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I loved everything about the original. The second one was okay, but not very memorable. I hate everything about Super Paper Mario.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    I like the paper mario series as well!!! my fav. one is the one for GCN!!! it had good story lines, and had funny characters!!! lol :]

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • The Paper Mario series is one of the best series of all times in my opinion. The original was my favorite because it was in the Mushroom Kingdom and you could actually get a good idea of what the MK was like whenever there wasnt some big problem going on. I liked the 2nd almost as much because of gameplay, and the locales. This 3rd one just shouldn't be counted, it is not an RPG, a staple of the Paper Mario series. I mean Paper Mario was based on an earlier rpg (Super Mario RPG for SNES), so keep it an RPG!

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I'm feeling weird because I think I'm the only one here who loved SPM, then TTYD, and finally PM64.

I didn't like the 64 one so much because of a simple reason: the plot was too basical. Bowser kidnaps Peach. Oh. My. Godness. It's the same thing again. True, the story is good and fun and all, but it didn't make up for it.

The Thousand Year Door was really good in the plot part, and I think that it is the only game I have played at least 6 times. The badge system became more interesting thanks to the addition of more badge points and level ups, the plot was superb, and the game was really fun.

SPM was a sudden change in the series. But, luckily, I am a great platformer fan, and just when I opened the game, before being able to start cursing at the changes, I got slapped with a wonderful soundtrack and a trapping plot that didn't let me go until the end. It made me laugh a lot, and I spent half an hour crying at the end. Castle Bleck has the best background music I have heard in a while. Definitely, it's my favourite Wii game right now, and I'm waiting for a new edition.

Trainer Kat

→ voodoo jungle d r u m s;;
    Years
  • ;; I don't understand the hate for Super Paper Mario. Sure, a lot changed, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad game. In fact, I enjoyed it a lot, and I'm not the biggest platformer, as that's probably my least favorite genre of game, so that's saying a lot. Maybe it doesn't feel like a Paper Mario game, but that's okay. I view it as more of a spin-off of the main series anyway.

That said, I will always enjoy Paper Mario 64 the most. I've played and beaten it so many times, and I have so many good memories of getting lost in that damn forest. xD; I thought the partners were the best (Goombario has got to be one of my all-time favorite Mario characters now), and I LOVED the levels so much that I can't pick just one favorite. I especially liked playing as Peach in between chapters, and making the cake for the fat Shy Guy was epic.

I do love Thousand Year Door. A lot. I loved resetting until I got a pink Yoshi. xD And, c'mon. Rawk Hawk was amazing.

For me, it'd go
    PM64 > TYD = SPM, because I love TYD and SPM equally <3

Milnivri

Telefan ;)
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    I've only played the 1st version, and it impressed me soooo much. The gameplay was fun, the plot was nice, and everything was like damn good. But the sad thing about some Mario games (especially the RPGs) is that they end with a "THE END", and doesn't let you continue after defeating Bowser (unlike Pokemon).

Back