• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Passing By and High Link

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
  • By "locals" you mean this is utilizing the wireless feature and not wifi to help people out? Hardly anyone plays Pokemon around my area so it'll be pretty useless to me. ;___;
    Wait, do we know if it's wifi or not? I would much rather prefer Wi-Fi. D:

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    By "locals" you mean this is utilizing the wireless feature and not wifi to help people out? Hardly anyone plays Pokemon around my area so it'll be pretty useless to me. ;___;

Passing By is Wireless... High Link is WiFi... Like "Help Me I'm Trapped Blah Blah Blah Code: 21918324902107451" then you enter it and boom... or maybe just FCs and click "Help Friend" (I Hope)

It does but like I said it's a 3DS only feature so you have to buy the 3DS to use it and hope the locals have a 3DS themselves...

No its not a 3DS exclusive lol DS users can use it aswell...

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Passing By is Wireless... High Link is WiFi... Like "Help Me I'm Trapped Blah Blah Blah Code: 21918324902107451" then you enter it and boom... or maybe just FCs and click "Help Friend" (I Hope)
    actually it uses the C Gear and only works when you are near a local person using it>_>.

Passing By is Wireless... High Link is WiFi... Like "Help Me I'm Trapped Blah Blah Blah Code: 21918324902107451" then you enter it and boom... or maybe just FCs and click "Help Friend" (I Hope)

No its not a 3DS exclusive lol DS users can use it aswell...
    No go to this link : http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml
    read what it says in the paragraph with Pass by in bold. It says what is described to be a 3DS feature,ect.

Last edited:

Calder

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    actually it uses the C Gear and only works when you are near a local person using it>_>.

No go to this link : http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml
    read what it says in the paragraph with Pass by in bold. It says what is described to be a 3DS feature,ect.

You are confused... Live Caster is not the same as Passing By or High Link...

Live Caster is the exclusive (to DSi and 3DS)... Passing By and High Link are for all...

Live Caster is broadcasting your face and talking to other people while playing...

Years
  • Well I'm glad that as far as I know High link isn't exclusive to any Ds :)
    Wonder how the missions will be like? The said something about in the forms of Missions, so maybe it will ask you to help the person in a specific way?

Calder

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    Well I'm glad that as far as I know High link isn't exclusive to any Ds :)
    Wonder how the missions will be like? The said something about in the forms of Missions, so maybe it will ask you to help the person in a specific way?

The center on the map is the High Link you go there and your friends pop up if they are in need of help and you ask them if they need help and they said yes or no and boom... As least thats what I got outta what they have said...

Years
  • You are confused... Live Caster is not the same as Passing By or High Link...

Live Caster is the exclusive (to DSi and 3DS)... Passing By and High Link are for all...

Live Caster is broadcasting your face and talking to other people while playing...
    Did you read the paragraph I asked you to read? Maybe I am confused :P but it said "in a similar manner to what is described as 3DS feature,there is also the pass by"
    Oh well let's just wait and see :)

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • By "locals" you mean this is utilizing the wireless feature and not wifi to help people out? Hardly anyone plays Pokemon around my area so it'll be pretty useless to me. ;___;

That is too bad. Its a good thing that I go to a tech school with a bunch of crazed pokemon fans.

Years
  • The center on the map is the High Link you go there and your friends pop up if they are in need of help and you ask them if they need help and they said yes or no and boom... As least thats what I got outta what they have said...
    I know it's at the center of the region :P. We how long will we be able to help them I wonder?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    You know I'm not too sure about these things...

"A new feature called "Passing By" will allow your DS to connect automatically with other players that are nearby. As you advance in Black and White, you will be able to help others on their journey."

For one 'helping someone out' could mean so many things, it could mean you walk past someone and they get a present or something rather than anything big.

"There is a new "High Link" feature that is reminiscent of the rescues in the Mystery Dungeon games. You can take on missions from a building in the middle of Isshu to help players who are in trouble."

This High Link sounds confusing, co-op play just sounds out of the idea of Pokémon and I just can't see you popping over to someone elses game to when they say they are stuck...

It might just mean the person you are assisting 'gets' one of your Pokémon to help (like they temporarily get it on their game but you don't lose yours) or some variation on that o.O Kind of like those people you help in DPPt by doubling up with them. :S

Years
  • You know I'm not too sure about these things...

"A new feature called "Passing By" will allow your DS to connect automatically with other players that are nearby. As you advance in Black and White, you will be able to help others on their journey."

For one 'helping someone out' could mean so many things, it could mean you walk past someone and they get a present or something rather than anything big.

"There is a new "High Link" feature that is reminiscent of the rescues in the Mystery Dungeon games. You can take on missions from a building in the middle of Isshu to help players who are in trouble."

This High Link sounds confusing, co-op play just sounds out of the idea of Pokémon and I just can't see you popping over to someone elses game to when they say they are stuck...

It might just mean the person you are assisting 'gets' one of your Pokémon to help (like they temporarily get it on their game but you don't lose yours) or some variation on that o.O Kind of like those people you help in DPPt by doubling up with them. :S
    I wonder if they will give us restrictions on how we help them.
    Yeah it does sound like we will double team with our opponent...wait maybe that's the reason we saw double battles in the wild...like in DPPt with the stat trainers...

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I wonder if they will give us restrictions on how we help them.
    Yeah it does sound like we will double team with our opponent...wait maybe that's the reason we saw double battles in the wild...like in DPPt with the stat trainers...

Thing is if it IS like that I doubt it's interactive, doing lots of wild battles whilst waiting for another player to respond would just be tedious, therefore I think it's more likely that they'll get the help without you doing it personally :S.

Years
  • Thing is if it IS like that I doubt it's interactive, doing lots of wild battles whilst waiting for another player to respond would just be tedious, therefore I think it's more likely that they'll get the help without you doing it personally :S.
    It would be tedious...maybe your right:\

Serebii

Webmaster of Serebii.net
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    the sad thing is that a 3DS exclusive feature according to Serebi :(. Good thing I'm going to get one when it comes out :)
    That's not what we said. I apologise if you interpreted it like that. However, I was referring to the fact that Satoru Iwata described features just like this in regards to the 3DS

Calder

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    You know I'm not too sure about these things...

Thats what Mystery Gift is...just removing the need to do it yourself...If they did that it would just be called Mystery Gift and be an upgrade version...

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Thats what Mystery Gift is...just removing the need to do it yourself...If they did that it would just be called Mystery Gift and be an upgrade version...

Actually no.

Mystery Gift has to be manually done (I think?), whilst 'Pass By' sounds like it does it automatically, and to any DS not just friends. It's most likely just berries and things though

Serebii

Webmaster of Serebii.net
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    You can also see where they are on the Isshu map :)

Back