• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC's "Build-a-team" Project

Ársa

k.
Years
  • 250px-480Uxie.png
    250px-481Mesprit.png

The Pokecommunity "Build-a-team" Project
    Sponsored by Dark Uxie and Dark Mesprit Inc.

The Premise:

To build competitively viable teams through continued discussion by members of Pokecommunity's Battle Center, in accordance with a set theme or topic ascribed weekly by vote.

Previous teams will be archived in the OP for future reference. Similarly, once a team has been agreed upon and 'finished' so to speak, if members wish to trial the team on Showdown and post a Warstory / Battle Log, the best for each team will be added in the team blurb.

Current: Week starting Saturday 21st December 2013

Topic: Voting

Possible Topics (list your own):

• Christmas themed team
    • PC Members 'favourites' team (as taken from battling community thread)
    • Mono-type theme
    • Mono-colour (chosen colour must be predominant colour)
    • Trick Room / Rain / Sun / Hail + OU / UU / RU / NU
    • Eviolite Team
    • Generation Specific (see: RBY team)

Last edited:
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Some suggestions before we get started:

- I prefer Smogon's "Community Create-A-Team" title (CCAT), but each to their own.
    - Consider making the team's theme a unique Pokemon, then choose a team style after that. Basically pick out a Pokemon that doesn't get enough love and try to make a good team with it, but preferably not make a team that's completely reliant on it.
    - Have a general plan of how we're going to build the team. i.e. (Decide on a Pokemon to base the team on) → decide on a playstyle → select individual teammates → playtest → reassessment (repeat the latter two if necessary) → make an RMT.

Last edited:

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I would like to suggest picking a pokemon that doesn't see much action and building a team around that. Basically, bringing a pokemon from the depths of NU to the forefront of OU. There are a lot of pokemon that are viable, but just aren't being used because they require some support and people just don't want to do that. I think proving that NU pokemon are still very viable in today's OU metagame would be pretty fun.

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • Some suggestions before we get started:

- I prefer Smogon's "Community Create-A-Team" title (CCAT), but each to their own.
    - Consider making the team's theme a unique Pokemon, then choose a team style after that. Basically pick out a Pokemon that doesn't get enough love and try to make a good team with it, but preferably not make a team that's completely reliant on it.
    - Have a general plan of how we're going to build the team. i.e. (Decide on a Pokemon to base the team on) → decide on a playstyle → select individual teammates → playtest → reassessment (repeat the latter two if necessary) → make an RMT.

I was unaware there was already something like this, although I shouldn't be surprised. That format was generally what I was aiming to work towards, I just didn't have time / energy to be eloquent enough to put it all forward in the OP just yet. Feel free to change the title Wolf.

I would like to suggest picking a pokemon that doesn't see much action and building a team around that. Basically, bringing a pokemon from the depths of NU to the forefront of OU. There are a lot of pokemon that are viable, but just aren't being used because they require some support and people just don't want to do that. I think proving that NU pokemon are still very viable in today's OU metagame would be pretty fun.

The idea of these teams are obviously not to be the regular T-Tar / Chomp / Scizor / Aegislash blah blah. However I think there needs to be at least a somewhat lengthy discussion in regards to what pokemon / theme should be chosen before we begin, if only because trying to make a competitively viable team using Delibird may be a bit of a stretch.

As far as pokemon from NU go, I had a quick look at the list:

Braviary (Sheer Force / Defiant) - 100 / 123 / 75 / 57 / 75 / 80 (BST: 510)

Castform (Forecast) - 70 / 70 / 70 / 70 / 70 / 70 (BST: 420)

Crawdaunt (Adaptability) - 63 / 120 / 85 / 90 / 55 / 55 (BST: 468)

Driflblim (Unburden / Flare Boost) - 150 / 80 / 44 / 90 / 54 / 80 (BST: 498)

Elektross (Levitate) - 85 / 115 / 80 / 105 / 80 / 50 (BST: 515)

Jynx (Dry Skin) - 65 / 50 / 35 / 115 / 95 / 95 (BST: 455)

Kecleon (Protean) - 60 / 90 / 70 / 60 / 120 / 40 (BST: 440)

Leafeon (Chlorophyll) - 65 / 110 / 130 / 60 / 65 / 95 (BST: 525)

Luxray (Guts / Intimidate) - 80 / 120 / 79 / 95 / 79 / 70 (BST: 523)

Mr. Mime (Filter / Technician) - 40 / 45 / 65 / 100 / 120 / 90 (BST:

Octillery (Sniper / Moody) - 75 / 105 / 75 / 105 / 75 / 45 (BST: 480)

Phione (Hydration) - 80 / 80 / 80 / 80 / 80 / 80 (BST: 480)

And to keep going; Primeape, Rampardos, The Regi's, Rotom-S/F, Serperior, Tauros, Wailord, Zangoose.

And for X/Y pokes: Aurorus / Avalugg / Chesnaught / Delphox / Pyroar / Gogoat / Furfrou / Draglage / Carbink

Thoughts? I like Crawdaunt / Mr. Mime / Octillery / Zangoose.

Last edited:
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Yeah, Smogon has done quite a large number of them. Here's one of the more recent ones. It may be wise to look at how they manage theirs, as they probably have a nice working formula at this point.

Also, NU may be a little too low, but something like Crawdaunt would be very interesting. Its Aqua Jet and Knock Off hit like a truck, so it's a pretty neat glass cannon. Other than that though, Chesnaught or Dragalge would be cool, assuming the latter can get Adaptability legally in Pokebank. SubPass Mr. Mime would be fun too. Switch into Dragon attacks, get a free Sub, and pass it to hard-hitters. Could also do a team with Sticky Web.

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • I like the idea of a using a set-up sweeper (Zangoose) or pokemon with a unique / interesting ability that differentiates itself from others in tiers above (Kecleon - minus Greninja). Octillery has 105/105/45 attacking stats and access to Water Spout, so a TR team could be possible. I feel like Dragalage hasn't seen any use at all so far this Gen, at least while its HA is impossible to get.

Years
  • If I'm being honest I think using a completely NU Pokemon would just drag down the team into gimmick territory. We don't have to use one to be completely unique. There are a lot of more recondite Pokemon that have been gaining traction in OU, like Crawdaunt, Bisharp, Mega Mawile, Quagsire. I think we should opt towards a higher caliber Pokemon than say, Octillery or Mr. Mime, lol. We could also use a lesser known mega, like M Houndoom or M Aggron. Basically what I'm saying as that we shouldn't let making the team exciting cause the overall viability of the team to tank. Smogon's CCAT is the same way, they usually base it around an interesting, lesser known set, but usually this set is on an OU or UU Pokemon [and hell, even their final product isn't that good].

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • If I'm being honest I think using a completely NU Pokemon would just drag down the team into gimmick territory. We don't have to use one to be completely unique. There are a lot of more recondite Pokemon that have been gaining traction in OU, like Crawdaunt, Bisharp, Mega Mawile, Quagsire. I think we should opt towards a higher caliber Pokemon than say, Octillery or Mr. Mime, lol. We could also use a lesser known mega, like M Houndoom or M Aggron. Basically what I'm saying as that we shouldn't let making the team exciting cause the overall viability of the team to tank. Smogon's CCAT is the same way, they usually base it around an interesting, lesser known set, but usually this set is on an OU or UU Pokemon [and hell, even their final product isn't that good].

I like the idea of Crawdaunt, however like I said in my previous post there are pokemon that have some nice qualities such as Octillery that are simply overlooked.

I think, at least for our first team, perhaps focusing on an underused Mega Evo like Banette / Ampharos / Houndoom / Absol would be a great way to get started.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Octillery seems too reliant on support, honestly. It's fragile so you would need a suicide Pokemon to set up Trick Room, then once it actually comes in, it's too easily walled by Pokemon such as Blissey. I would be okay with Octillery if it wasn't fragile and didn't need TR support, but the combination of two looks like it would be really difficult to make up for and still have a proper team that can handle common threats. I'm not completely opposed to the idea; I'm just not seeing the benefits of it over using something like Starmie.

Also, a sun team with Mega Houndoom sounds really fun to me. All of the MEvos are pretty interesting uncharted territory. Something like Mega Aggron could be used as a revenge killer and back-up check for everything, since very few Pokemon can OHKO it while Aggron can KO everything it needs to with the right moves.

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • I (ironically) forgot about Aggron. I think it would be really interesting, partly because I don't think many people have actually explored what it's capable of doing in the metagame.

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • Ok..

So Wolf, would you like to go with an overtly offensive or defensive spread? And what do we want Aggron to achieve? I'd say it's a great check to Fairies in general, and with Filter it pretty much walls the likes of Tyranitar.

I would suggest either a RestTalk defensive pivot with something like Rest / Sleep Talk / Heavy Slam / Dragon Tail, or; an offensive Rock Polish set.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I'm not sure how an offensive rock polish set would do. One thing I've noticed is that priority is way more popular, but if there's a pokemon that's going to be able to take it, it's going to be Aggron, so I don't know where that lies.

Alright, I messed around with some sets and I learned a few things. Max speed without a nature boost brings it up to 199, which means that Mega-Aggron isn't going to break that 400 speed barrier with one Rock Polish. So, it's still failing to outspeed some choice scarf users. However, I think that there is a distinct lack of choice scarfs this gen, so that might not matter as much. I don't think getting that nature to boost speed would be the best option since Mega-Aggron is going to need all the attacking power it can get.

The other thing with the durability set, is that we're going to have to rack up hazards if we want Mega-Aggron to do anything with that Dragon Tail. I know that we could always switch the move out, but I feel like it goes perfectly with our rhino of doom.

Let me take a moment to think as I type here. With threats like Heatran and Magnezone running around, I feel like an offensive set would be better because it would leave room for more coverage options. With Mega-Aggron's steel typing, I feel like it could force a lot of switches, giving ample time to power up. With good coverage moves like Heavy Slam, Earthquake, Super Power, Stone Edge/Rock Slide, and Dragon Tail/Claw, I feel like Mega-Aggron would best be utilized as an offensive threat. So, there's a vote for offense from me.

Years
  • I've been playing around with M-Aggron for a while because I was stoked when my favourite Pokemon got a Mega form.

I found Defensive with some health support absolutely ruins everything.
    I've been using this:
    Spoiler:

I think he's worth considering as a tank. Switch him into a wish and he'll last four times as long and that's still longer than is needed.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I think a offensive tank and revenge killer would do nicely, similar to Tank Dragonite. Something like:

Aggron @ Aggronite
    Ability: Filter (Sturdy)
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Heavy Slam / Iron Head
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Thunder Wave

Could make it bulkier too. Either that, or replace Thunder Wave with Rock Polish and add some Speed. A defensive Rest-Talk could work, but I'm not the biggest fan of using stall teams.

@Plumpyfoof: I don't like that moveset because it lacks any form of recovery. That's not good considering it's a slow set-up sweeper that's bound to take hits while setting up. Maybe with Rest-Talk or ChestoRest it could work, but Aggron needs at least three attack moves or it's too easily walled.

Back