• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PD-20 (A New Way To Play Pokemon)

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I guess this could be an idea (though with our progress, you could consider it to be more like development plans), but we figured it's high time to let y'all know what we've been up to. And I guess the best way to kick off a project like this in an idea forum is to post the introduction to it.

First for those that are unaware, PD-20 stands for Pokemon D20. This is an ongoing project that three people, including yours truly (not being modest here) have been working on for over a year. It's basically a rule set that lets people play Pokemon as a table-top, or over-the-net RPG without having to download or buy any programs, software or any other miscellaneous items (with the exception of a few things that people may not all have yet). For lack of a better phrase or term, this is Pokemon like you've NEVER seen it before.

Those that have heard of the D20 game, or D&D probably know what I'm talking about here. For you people yes, this is the real deal. And it's freaking enormous (again, not being modest).

And we're here to give you a small taste of what you'll be in for if and when you dare to venture into the realm. So hold onto your hats, as we delve into the world of:

POKEMON D20

The world of Pokemon... a magical and wondrous place, where dreams can come true, and epic battles are the norm. A place, where magic, technology, nature, and legends come to life and go hand-in-hand. A place, where unbelievable adventures await those brave enough to seek them out.

Welcome to the world of Pokemon D20. If you just got here, then you might be a bit confused. Allow me to explain. The first question you might be asking yourself is:

What is Pokemon D20?

Pokemon D20 is a table-top RPG that can be played off-line, or on-line through forums and chat rooms.

What is a table-top RPG?

Good question, grasshopper. Many of you know what an RPG is. 'RPG' stands for Role-Playing Game. So-called, because in RPGs, you assume the role of somebody else. You act out him or her, and decide what the person will do. You're given scenarios and then you have to react to those scenarios, and hopefully solve whatever situation you're in at the time.

A table-top RPG is a kind of RPG you play without a fancy computer screen or video game system. You play it right on a table with the required materials right there in front of you.

What do I need to play?

Aside from knowing what's here, not much. If you're playing on-line, you will likely only need a Trainer Journal (which will be explained in another post), a pencil (NOT a pen, you'll see why later), and we recommend you get yourself a set of gaming dice.

If you play off-line, you might want to print out the posted information on all of my posts. This can be done by copying the text into Word, and printing it out from there. This way, you don't waste as much ink if you don't have a laser printer. Trust me. I have an ink printer too, and I know how fast the cartridges run out.

Gaming Dice? What are they?

Boy, you must really be new to this if you're asking this question. Not to worry, I anticipated this development. Gaming dice are special dice that you use when playing D20 games (or any type of table-top RPG for that matter). As you might have guessed, they don't just make 'em with six sides anymore.

There are six in all, actually. There are four-sided dice (d4), six-sided dice (d6), eight-sided dice (d8), ten-sided dice (d10), twelve-sided dice (d12), and twenty-sided dice (d20). After this post, I'll be referring to the dice as 'd's (the things in parenthesis. So make sure you remember them.

A standard set of dice comes with seven. They're broken down like this:

four-sided dice (d4) x1
    six-sided dice (d6) x1
    eight-sided dice (d8) x1
    ten-sided dice (d10) x2
    twelve-sided dice (d12) x1
    twenty-sided dice (d20) x1

Sounds easy, huh? It really is. The setup wasn't meant to be overly difficult. Anywho, onto the next part.

How do I obtain a set?

In all honesty, obtaining a set of gaming dice isn't really that difficult if you know where to look. Most hobby stores sell them. Hobby stores are the places you get your Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon TCG cards from. Easy, huh? They usually run about 5 to 10 dollars a set. Not too bad when you consider that they're universal and can be used for any table-top game you can think of.

Who gives me the scenarios?

If you're on-line here, it'll either be me, or another Mod or Admin (more likely another user, should this be posted anywhere other than the main site). Off-line, those things are left to the GM. GM stands for a Game Master. They act as storytellers and referees. Sometimes, GMs are called DMs, or Dungeon Masters. But the concept is the same.

An easy way to describe it, the players are the actors and the GMs are the Narrators. They give the scenario, and you react to it in the best way you can think of (taking into account your personality, and a few other things).

A Typical Example of the System At Work:

(The players have just fought off a group of Zubats and are now in what appears to be a dark empty room.)

GM: Alright. The room is pitch black, and it is impossible to see anything.

Tommy: (played by Jim, a rookie player) I'm going to call out Charmander.

GM: Tommy calls out Charmander, and his tail flame immediately makes the room brighter, enabling you to see the cavern-like walls. You notice that there's a wooden door at the end of the room, bit no other defining features stand out to you.

Reia: (played by Liz, a veteran player) I'm gonna ask my Zubat to listen by the door for any sounds.

GM: Reia's Zubat does so. It comes back and shakes its head.

Tommy: Nothing, huh? I'll have Charmander use Ember on the door.

GM: <sigh> He uses an Ember Attack and obliterates the door in a loud burst of flames. Two members of Team Rocket can be seen at the end of the newly exposed room. They jolt up in response to the noise and each pull out a Poke-Ball.

(Rookie Tommy's rash action might have just ruined the opportunity for a surprise attack against those two Team Rocket members. He'll know better next time to be more careful when infiltrating one of Team Rocket's hidden hideouts.)

I think you've got a rough idea what it is now. We need feedback on what people think of this idea, as it's been kept tightly under wraps for quite some time. If you like it enough, I'll post more about it. And except for responding to individual posts, I'll try to add the stuff in the order it's completed in, but we'll just have to see how this goes.

Disclaimer: SBaby and CAeshar hereby grant permission to print, or otherwise reproduce all posted text regarding PD-20, so long as credit is given to the appropriate people (us, and anyone else who may in the future get involved in the PD-20 project).

Project PD-20

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    This has nothing to do with Game Development (Should be in Role Playing), but it does sound like fun.

The reason it's in Game Development and not Role Playing is because it isn't an RP that we're trying to set up (I debated this for awhile and decided it'd be better suited for this area). It's a full blown way to play Pokemon without any gameboys, consoles, or anything expensive like that. It's kind of like a game played using the imagination, but you use dice to determine everything.

Here. Let me give you a couple case examples, using some of the rules we've already established. You'll probably be able to understand it a bit better after reading them.

First Example: Capturing

First of all, say you're a Trainer venturing into the wild, and you run across a Pokemon... we'll say a Pidgey. It's simple, and found almost everywhere. In any Pokemon game, you might want to capture it. Well, you can do that here too. Here's how.

Say that your Trainer's Squirtle just weakened the Pidgey. To simplify things, we'll say the Pokemon's at 1/4 HP (in PD-20, you can't actually see another Pokemon's current HP, only their injuries). Well that would be a good opportunity to attempt to capture it. So how do you?

Easy. With dice. You roll a 20-sider against the Pokemon's Challenge Rating, or CR. Challenge Rating can best be described as how difficult it is to do something. In this case, capturing the Pokemon.

So in the case above, let's say the Pidgey is Level 15 with a quarter of its HP left (just for example). That'd make its Challenge Rating at least 15 (it may be higher or lower depending on its HP, but we'll say it's 15 since there's no GM here to determine that). So its Challenge Rating is 15, which means you have to roll above 15 to successfully capture the Pokemon.

I know what you're thinking. 'A weakened Pokemon shouldn't be that hard to capture.', right? Well, there are other factors that could help or hurt you. For instance, the Poke-Ball you're using. Are you using a normal one, or a type-specific ball? That could give you a bonus or penalty. Second is a little Skill called Capture, which ALL Trainers know.

Capture lets you add one point to your roll for each level it's gained. What does that mean? If you have five ranks in Capture, and have an ability modifier of 5 (gotten from the Trainer's CHA rating), you've got ten points that you add to your roll. Now instead of 15, you only have to roll above 5 to capture that Pokemon. WAY easier than before, huh?

So we roll an 8, add the 10 from Capture to the roll, and end up with 18. That Pidgey's yours. Don't need a Mod or GM to determine this, the dice and numbers do it all!

Next, we'll get a bit more complicated.

Second Example: Contests

How do your Pokemon fare in contests? Well, it all rides on the roll of a die. How, you ask? Through the Performance Skill.

So you're in a small contest, and there's three Judges. You have to make three Performance rolls in order to see how you fare against the competition, which is three others.

Roll a D20, and add your Performance score to it (the same way we did the Capturing). Total the three rolls up, and if it beats the total Challenge Rating of the Judges (determined by the GM), your score is the difference between what you rolled and the Judges' Challenge Rating.

We'll say your total Performance is 12, and the total CR of the Judges is 45 (15 for each of them).

You roll three times. An 8, a 12, and a 16. The total is 36. Now add 12x3 to the score. You end up with 72. Now you subtract 45 from the score. You end up with 27. Now divide that by three. You end up with 9.

In other words, each Judge gave you a 9/10. Easy, and you don't have to spend ten minutes in between dealing with Team Rocket either. But don't celebrate just yet, let's see how the 'other guys' do.

- 10 + 8 + 6 = 24 + 30 Jim Doe's Perform is 10 =
    54 - 45 the Judges' CR = 9 / 3 = 3/10 (man, he did lousy...)

- 10 + 10 + 12 = 32 + 33 = 65 - 45 = 20 / 3 = 6.7/10 (rounded up to the next tenths decimal here)

- 12 + 13 + 10 = 35 + 36 = 71 - 45 = 26 / 3 = 8.7/10 (Jane's almost as good as you)

In other words, based on these scores, you and Jane would be in the final battle for the Ribbon. No Mods, no GM, just dice and stats. I'm aware that most contests involve 8 to 16 people. This is just an example.

Something else, this system is being built with the words, 'open-ended' and 'customization' in mind. In other words, when it's done, GMs that use this rule set will be able to tweak almost any aspect of the system to fit their own unique style of play.

Last edited:

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
    Years
    So you need to buy a 20 sided dice to play it? I still don't understand how this can be multiplayer...

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    So you need to buy a 20 sided dice to play it? I still don't understand how this can be multiplayer...

Actually, you need an entire dice set, as explained in the first post (don't worry, a dice set normally comes with at least one of every die you need to play it, and it can usually be found at your local hobby store usually for around $7 to $8, go to most local hobby stores and ask about them, the clerk should be able to help you). The 20-sider (as I call it) is the most often used (determining success and failure), but the other dice are used for calculating damage and whatnot, so they're all important in some way. The good news is, it's the most expensive thing you ever need for this. One dice set will cover EVERYTHING in this game (though multiple sets make things easier, one set can theoretically be used among multiple players, kind of like in a board game).

As for how this can be multiplayer. You need at least two people to effectively play it (theoretically, you can do a solo adventure, but the fun is in numbers). One person acts as the GM, or storyteller (kind of like an impartial referee, giving the scenario, and rolling to see what happens). The other person or people are the players. As for where you can play it, the short answer is anywhere.

GM = Storyteller, person that says, 'You are in a dungeon, you see whatever...'

Players = People that play the game and react to the scenarios, 'I call out Charmander.'

Think of it like a board game, without the board. Except it's constantly changing, and nothing's ever the same twice.

One other small, yet crucial note: Don't wanna be a Trainer? Wanna join Team Rocket or Team Magma? You caaaaan!!!

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    You can start creating scenarios if you want, but just remember that until this is finalized it's subject to change. In other words, beta 0.1 version.

By the way, I might be able to start posting about character creation very soon (Ability and Battle Scores are just about ready to go, and the experience table is basically just D&D), so it may not be quite as long as I originally thought. But remember that things will still take quite awhile to get finalized, and most of this is still beta at best (I shudder at the Poke-Dex Handbook, as I've got about three out of over three hundred done right now).

And you don't have to play it over the computer if you don't want to. It's also designed to work as a table-top RPG. But if you do it over the computer, you can actually download free dice rollers to avoid cheating (and the cost of dice sets). Also, the GM has to authorize everything anyway, so if someone keeps rolling 20s, there's gonna be issues down the line.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    We can use all the help we can get.

Alright. Here's some of what we've got now. It uses the D20 Ability Scores, but also uses the Pokemon stats. Anyway, you'll see here. It's kind of like the Combat Chart in D&D, but more like Pokemon. And yes, this is word for word.

Now, please let this paste the right way...

CHARACTER CREATION 1

So, now you're asking, 'How do I create a character?'. Well, there are eight simple steps, just like there are eight Gym Leaders in each Region.

1: Determine a Name.
    2: Roll Ability Scores, determine Ability Modifiers and Battle Scores.
    3: Determine Race
    4: Determine Class.
    5: Determine Alignment.
    6: Determine Skills and Techniques.
    7: Determine starting equipment.
    8: Choose a Starter Pokemon, find a group of friends, and go adventuring!

We'll go through these eight steps in order. In this post, we'll be looking at the first two steps in detail. Well, let's get started.

Determining A Name

The first step in creating a character is thinking of a good name for them. Just like naming your main character in the latest Dragon Quest game, you'll want to pick a name that best reflects the character's persona. The Pokemon Anime is a good example of typical names in the Pokemon world, but feel free to come up with something more original if you desire. Some people skip this step and do it after rolling their scores and determining the class and alignment of their characters. Feel free to do so if you feel better that way.

Ability Scores and Modifiers

Now, I suck at doing charts, so please bear with me.

-------Score---Modifier
    STR ______ ______
    DEX ______ ______
    CON ______ ______
    INT ______ ______
    WIS ______ ______
    CHA ______ ______

Whoa! Number crunching! You might be asking yourself what Ability Scores and Bonuses are. Well, let's take a look.

Ability scores can best be described as the skeleton, or building blocks of any character. They are the basis of almost any decision making you're likely to do in the world of Pokemon D20. They determine how good your character is at a particular area and how likely they are to succeed at something. How strong are you? How Smart? How quick? Can you bash a door in with brute force, or will you instead try to find another way into the building? These are all things that Ability Scores can tell you.

ALL Ability scores follow this general formula:

Score__Modifier

Poorly Trained
    1_______-5
    2-3______-4
    4-5______-3
    6-7______-2
    8-9______-1
    Average
    10-11____0
    Average
    12-13____+1
    14-15____+2
    16-17____+3
    18-19____+4
    20-21____+5
    22-23____+6
    24-25____+7
    Professional Athlete or Genius

On the left, you see the ability scores. On the right are the modifiers. Basically, this means that the higher an ability score is, the greater the bonus to the associated modifier. Or in simple terms...

If Liza has a STR of 16, her modifier is +3. That means anything using STR as the key ability gets a +3 bonus when she rolls to determine of it is successful or not. BUT...

If Bob has a CON of 8, then his modifier is -1. That means anything using CON as the key ability gets a -1 penalty when he rolls to see if it's successful. He also suffers a -1 penalty to his Max HP increase at each Level up.

You can deduce from this that you generally want to get ability scores over 11 in order to get a bonus to that particular modifier. Of course, things don't always work out that way.

How Do I Determine My Scores?

Excellent question. This is where your dice start to come in. In order to determine a score, we use (d6)s. Several methods can be used to determine a character's starting scores.

Method 1 (4d6/Normal Method)

Roll 4d6, and add up the scores. This gets you the score. Do this a total of 6 times. Once you have 6 numbers (from 4 to 24), assign them to your ability scores according to the style of play you wish to use.

Method 2 (5d6/High Scores)

Roll 5d6, drop the lowest number, then add the scores. Repeat 5 more times. Assign scores. This method favors higher ability scores, but still has the chance of low scores being rolled (you could still roll 5 1s).

Method 3 (Point Buy)

A popular method used by many officially run games. Your scores start at 10, with no penalties or bonuses. You are given 40 to 50 points to spend as you see fit. Each score costs one point up to 19, two points from 19 to 22, and three points from 22 to 24. Using this system, a player can customize the scores to fit virtually any template, while not coming up with an overly powerful character.

Note that, regardless which system is used, starting Ability Scores CANNOT exceed 24.

What Do The Scores Mean?

Anyway, now that we've established how to roll up your character, let's look at the different abilities in more detail.

STR (Strength)

This score represents a character's raw power. A high Strength means characters are more likely to be able to bash down a door or lift heavy objects. Lower Strengths reduce that chance. Strength also determines how much you can carry without being overloaded, and your successes with skills that use STR as the key ability. The STR Modifier also provides a bonus or penalty to your hit rate or damage in melee combat (should your character be forced to fight), so melee characters should take note of this.

DEX (Dexterity)

This score represents the speed and perception of a character. A character with a high Dexterity is more likely to jump out of the way of an oncoming attack, or notice an ambush. DEX is important for ALL classes, since it affects a character's overall defense rating, and skills that use DEX as the key ability. In addition, DEX provides a bonus or penalty to your ranged attack and damage.

CON (Constitution)

This score represents the overall health, stamina and durability of a character. A high CON means that you can take more punishment from an enemy or resist poison and paralysis more easily. CON is a very important score for ALL classes, since it also affects how many HP you gain per level. It also affects skills that use CON as the key ability.

INT (Intelligence)

This score dictates many things. It is the overall knowledge, reasoning and memory of a character, and reflects how easily the character learns things. Someone with a high INT finds it easier to train, and to memorize things. INT is important for all classes, because it determines how many skill points and languages a character gets. In addition, INT determines how quickly characters learn Techniques, and how well KI Masters can use energy type KI.

WIS (Wisdom)

This score represents a how well traveled a character is. While INT represents knowledge, WIS represents their intuition. A character with a high WIS score might realize that it's not a good idea to flip that unknown switch, while a character with a high INT would be sitting there describing the functions of that very same switch. Many players tend to get INT and WIS confused, since their functions go almost hand in hand. WIS also affects the amount of XP a character earns from completing tasks or battling.

CHA (Charisma)

This is the overall attractiveness and leadership abilities of the character. A high CHA means that Pokemon are more likely to listen to you, and you are more likely to attract followers. In addition, the chance of being able to capture a Pokemon from the wild is also reflected here. It is crucial for ALL Pokemon Trainers to take CHA very seriously, as it can directly affect many aspects of raising Pokemon.

What Are Modifiers?

Modifiers are numbers that are added or subtracted to your rolls when determining if something is successful or not. They also determine your damage and Battle Scores, so generally you want them to be positive and not negative.

You might have noticed the brief description of what modifiers are above. Well, you might have also noticed that they increase on even numbers. This is important for two reasons. First of all, when assigning the scores to each ability, you generally want the score with the highest modifier to be under the primary ability of a character class or a Pokemon type. Such Ability Scores are used the most frequently with the given class or Pokemon, and therefore should ALWAYS be as high as possible.

Secondly, every fourth level a character or Pokemon gains, they can allocate one point toward any one of the six scores. But if a score is at an odd number when you hit level four, it would generally make more sense to add the point to that score, increasing your modifier for that score (and all rolls associated with it) rather than using it on an even number and having to wait 4 more levels to increase that modifier.

Mainly, this is more advice than anything else, since the overall way you raise your characters and Pokemon is up to you. But regardless of which way you decide to do things, no Ability Score can naturally exceed 30 (without some sort of intervention), so keep that in mind when allocating those points.

Keep in mind that certain Races, Classes, and Pokemon get innate bonuses or negatives to these Ability scores. Be aware of that when determining the type of character you wish to create, or how you raise your Pokemon.

Battle Scores

Battle Scores are similar to Ability Scores in that they determine your hit, defense, and special attack rating. The biggest difference in them is the fact that they are strictly used for combat purposes. Here is a brief explanation of them, as well as which Ability Score affects them. For a detailed explanation in how to use these scores in battle, refer to the Combat section of the Pokemon D20 Guide.

One important note: Battle Abilities go up by a pre-determined amount each Level, based on your Class or the Pokemon in question. So though you can customize certain aspects of a character's Battle Skills, most of them are locked into a specific fighting style. Keep this in mind when determining what you want to play as.

HP (Hit Points)

Hit Points are the Character or Pokemon's ability to take damage. The more HP they have, the more damage they can take. Once this falls to zero, the Character or Pokemon is incapacitated. In Official Pokemon Battles, when a Pokemon is incapacitated, it is out of the fight. If all Pokemon are incapacitated, the Trainer loses the battle in that case.

If a character or Pokemon reaches -(Their Level) in HP, they will die. Dead characters and Pokemon are very difficult to bring back, often requiring divine intervention. Even Pokemon Centers are unable to bring dead characters back, so be extremely careful of this.

Example: Jake, a veteran Trainer has a Charizard at Lv 30. The Charizard takes a massive hit and gets knocked down to -15 HP. It is still alive, but incapacitated, or 'unable to battle'. However, Nick has a Wartortle at Lv 20. It gets knocked down to -22 HP. It is utterly dead and will remain so unless some sort of divine intervention, or possibly a 'wish' takes precedence. There are also options in the GM's section for changing up this formula.

Note that although HP can drop into the negatives in official battles, it is impossible to kill a Pokemon or Trainer in that situation. All such results instead become KOs.

Modified By: CON

Attack

This is a Character or Pokemon's ability to do direct damage to an opponent in battle. The higher it is, the more damage can be done. Each point of Attack is an extra point of damage a Pokemon potentially does in combat. One note, on a successful hit, the Pokemon or Trainer will always do a minimum of 1 point of damage.

Modified By: STR

Defense

Defense is the ability to avoid, block and generally prevent damage from Normal-Type Attacks. A high Defense also decreases the amount of damage you take from such attacks by a ratio of 3 to 1 where 3 is the Defense rating. The block/avoidance ratio is 4 to 1.

Modified By: DEX

Speed

This is how quickly you react to things. Speed determines how fast you react in combat, and also your hit rate against foes. Every five points of Speed also adds a +1 to your Initiative modifier when determining your starting position on the IP Ring. So a Speed of 20 gives the modifier a +4. This is only used for the very first roll at the start of battle.

Modified By: DEX

SP. Attack

This affects the damage your Special or Non-Normal Attacks do to the enemy. Each point is an extra point of damage you do to the opponent.

Modified By: INT

SP. Defense

Special Defense affects how well you can avoid, block, and generally negate damage from Special-Type Attacks. It can also reduce damage from such attacks on a ratio of 3 to 1. The block/avoidance ratio is 4 to 1. Since there are many Special Attacks, this is a very important Battle Score to take into consideration.

Modified By: CON

How Do I Determine These Scores?

That's actually easy to answer. There is a base of 10 for each score at first level. Knowing this, you can now add or subtract the modifier of the rolled Ability Score that matches what the Battle Score is modified by.

So, if you have a 10 Attack, and a 15 STR, your modifier is +2. So you add 2 to that number and get 12. Simple, huh?

Bottom Line

All Characters and Pokemon have two types of Stats, Ability Scores, and Battle Abilities. Ability Scores mainly affect your interaction. Battle Scores affect your combat abilities. Ability Scores get 1 point added to the score of your choice every fourth level. Battle Scores go up every level.

Please remember that this is all beta stuff, so it might be changed. But this is probably what the scores are going to look like in the final version.

Last edited:

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    sounds pointless why would we need to do this when most people here have gba, ds, gamecube, or whatever so there is no point also if they want to play it online they have two much better choices, netbattle and pokemon crater

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    sounds pointless why would we need to do this when most people here have gba, ds, gamecube, or whatever so there is no point also if they want to play it online they have two much better choices, netbattle and pokemon crater

Believe it or not, I was waiting for someone to ask that very question. Because I have a question that I've been itching to respond with.

Now, when you play Pokemon games, what is always the same, no matter how you play or what Pokemon you use?

The answer: the adventure. No matter how many times you play, it's always the Region you're in and you're always trying to win the Pokemon League. Not to mention, you always have to be the good guy. Regardless of how you play, those two things are constants.

PD-20 allows players to veer from these obligatory paths, by offering opportunities that were never possible in Pokemon games. Gone is the need to just become a Trainer and win the League by collecting eight badges. Sure, you can do that if you want, but check this out.

Now, you can play as a member of Team Rocket or Team Magma, or any other team you could think of. Instead of being a hero, you could be a villain. Heck, if you really wanted to (and the circumstances were right), you could even aim for global conquest.

And it gets bigger than even that. Maybe you want to be a Coordinator and enter contests. Well, you can. Maybe you want to be a Nurse or Pokemon Breeder. That can happen too. You can even be a Gym Leader if you desire. And nothing will limit you. You can not only change professions (classes) anytime you want to, but you can also journey as just about any type of character ever seen in Pokemon. And you might even pick up an ancient treasure or two along the way.

I know it seems like it's impossible, or that I'm exaggerating, but anyone who's played D&D knows that this is possible to do. Pokemon has so much untapped potential, that this should work out quite nicely, if fans want it to. These are just the first steps into this kind of realm.

And on that note, here's a short preview list of things I'm currently working on. And remember, this is all still beta.

In-Progress:

- Races (Yes, there are different races for non-Pokemon Characters besides Humans.)

- Classes (Just being a Trainer gets boring, why not join Team Rocket, or become a Gym Leader?)

- Skills (Create your own Potions and Poke-Balls. Or hop aboard a Charizard and fly over the mountains.)

Planning Phases:

- Techniques (The Pokemon version of Feats.)

- Alignments (Well, these are actually almost done, but some other things need to be completed first.)

- Equipment (Yeah, there's equipment in Pokemon. Where do you think all those Potions come from?)

- Combat System (This'll be a bear, but I've got something in mind.)

- Poke-Dex (Groan... Can anyone say, one book per Generation?)

- Attack List (Probably going to be like Spells in D&D, but strictly for Pokemon)

- Treasure (More than money, I mean gems of all sorts, Potions, and maybe even magical items.)

- Artifacts (GS Ball, Orbs, and all those nifty things seen in the Pokemon Movies will probably fit here.)

And that about does it for now. Expect more as it develops (in future posts). This is on-going, and when finished, will probably be compiled into a downloadable guide (or set of guides, depending on length) by me, or CAeshar. As always, any feedback is appreciated. Finally, remember. This is a rule set, not a console game.

Last edited:

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
    Years
    Well, you seem really proud! You should be! Where do you make a character?

How do you walk around and stuff?

Krishnan

Betrayer..........
    Years
    This should go into RP Section since this doesn't involve any scripting/coding, game makers, clients, etc. Anyways I would Like to say it is a good idea, but please move this into the RP section. ^^

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    If the Mods or Admins want it moved, that's fine. But the reason I put it here is because this isn't an RP, but a full blown rule set for a D20 game that will be fully playable when completed.

On that note, I think I've got a good list of Secondary Skills going now. Here's a peek at what I've got so far.

Secondary Skills

Name - - - - - / Key Ability

Appraise - - - / - - - INT
    Balance - - - -/ - - - DEX
    Bluff - - - - - -/ - - - CHA
    Capture - - - -/ - - - CHA
    Climb - - - - - / - - - STR
    Comprehension / - - INT
    Concentrate - - / - - CON
    Create - - - - - -/ - - INT
    Cut* - - - - - - / - - - STR
    Decipher - - - -/ - - - INT
    Dig* - - - - - - -/ - - - STR/DEX
    Diplomacy - - - / - - - CHA
    Disable Device -/ - - - INT
    Disguise - - - - -/ - - - CHA
    Excavate - - - - / - - - WIS
    Explosives - - - / - - - DEX
    First Aid - - - - -/ - - - WIS
    Fly* - - - - - - - / - - - STR/DEX
    Forgery - - - - -/ - - - INT
    Hide - - - - - - -/ - - - DEX
    Human Affinity / - - - CHA
    Innuendo - - - -/ - - - WIS
    Intimidate - - - / - - - CHA
    Investigate - - -/ - - - CHA/INT
    Knowledge - - - / - - - INT
    Listen - - - - - - / - - - WIS
    Mastery - - - - - / - - - STR
    Medicine - - - - -/ - - - INT
    Mining - - - - - - / - - - STR
    Perform - - - - - / - - - CHA
    Pokemon Affinity -/ - - CHA
    Profession - - - -/ - - - WIS
    Read Lips - - - - / - - - INT
    Ride - - - - - - - -/ - - - DEX
    Spy - - - - - - - - / - - - INT
    Search - - - - - - / - - - INT
    Sense - - - - - - -/ - - - WIS
    Sneak - - - - - - -/ - - - DEX
    Speak Language (Non-Pokemon) - INT
    Speak Language (Pokemon) - INT
    Spot - - - - - - - -/ - - - WIS
    Survival - - - - - / - - - WIS
    Swim* - - - - - - / - - - STR/CON

Alright. On the left is the Skill name, and on the right is the Key Ability that modifies it. For instance, you've got Survival with 5 ranks. Now, say your WIS is 14. That's a +2 to that score, since the WIS modifier would be +2. Survival is now 7. Any Survival rolls would be 1d20 + 7 as a result.

Notes

I apologize for the slight delay in posting this. It took me awhile to weed out the D20 Skills that didn't really fit into Pokemon. Then I went ahead and added some skills unique to this system, to set it apart from any other D20 games out there.

Anyway, there are Character Specific Skills, Pokemon Specific Skills (such as Fly and Cut), and Universal Skills in this mix. But this is a brief list of what I'm doing now. I'll categorize them in a near future post. And then of course later on, I'll explain how each Skill works, so you can start picking favorites.

On one brief note, I had to do this out of order from Classes, so that it'd be easier for me to make out the Classes (some of the Class Information and requirements are impossible to fill out without this list). Techniques will also probably be done first, as will Alignments. Certain Classes require certain Alignments, so that's more of a necessity.

And remember, this is still all beta, and could be different, come the final version. Think of all this as a rough draft. Hence, the reason it's in the Idea section.

Last edited:

The Dash

Hurr.
    Years

*Growl* I hate insolent people like you.
    OMGZ THAR IZ NO GD GRAPHIX SO THAR4 THE GAM WILL SUXXOR CAZ THAAR IZ NO ONLINE PLAYZ LOLOLOLODFLOMOMOMGOMGOMGOMGOGM

RLan69

Pokemon Junkie Extraordinaire
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2010
    It's like D&D meets Pokemon. I like it. I'd love to see people playing it :D

Back