• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Perfect, easy curveballs - For all those who fail at curveballs.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Hi there,

First of all: All this applies to people who like to spin the ball clockwise and pull itto the upper left for throwing. If you prefer to spin counter-clockwise, replace left and right and replace clockwise with counter-clockwise, and this will work for you as well.

i am rather active, level 35 now, and i only recently started really using curveballs.

The reason is, i have seen many people do it, swirl around the ball, pull up some kind of ellipse, hit the pokemon nicely.... I tried it a lot, i got it down for pokemon at a nice distance, but kept failing at pokemon that are very close or very far away.

For far away pokemon it was bad. So you start spinning the ball, pull it up and to the left, but the pokemon is far away, but you cannot pull far to the left, you run out of phone. So if i got the distance, i got it by going further up, and the ball went too far to the right. Or i reached the edge of the phone too soon, or i did a nice curveball that landed well in front of the far-away pokemon. So i kept giving up and going back to regular straight throws.

The easy trick i discovered: Do not start spinning where you get the ball. You will have to deal with complex elliptical geometry and spin speed and stuff. Many people learned it that way, i raise my hat to them.

Instead, take the ball, move it into the lower right corner (Where the ball selection menu normally is), spin it there, and throw it along a diagonal that goes through the middle of the pokemon. You will always be using the same line, for nearby pokemon as well as for far away pokemon. The center of the pokemon is almost always on that line, no matter if its a pidgey or a tyranitar, only flying pokemon that decide to fly high are an exception.

The beauty: No ellipse. The curveball is not curvy anymore. You spin it up to full speed, throw along that diagonal, it will stop on that diagonal and return on that diagonal. For far throws, it will go off screen and turn around there, no problem. Do not throw it in a curve, spin it up, and follow the same straight diagonal line.

Now i went straight from a person doing normal throws and trying to hit a small circle to someone who only does curveballs trying to hit a small circle.

Maybe some of you have known this for months, or a year, and always did curvebals this way. It was new to me, and i have seen many others doing curveballs with nice ellipses starting from the middle.

Too long, did not read:
    Spin up the ball in a lower corner, not the center. Then pull it straight through the pokemon (or toward the pokemon if it is a close pokemon). Only use the diagonal. No curve, you throw it using that diagonal, it will return on that diagonal.

Another way to visualize the line: Cut off the top third of your phone. On your no longer working (but much closer to square-shaped) phone that you just cut with a bandsaw, the line you need is corner to opposing corner.

Curveballs you throw straight on that line after you spin them up full speed will return on the very same line. That line goes through the pokemon. Win.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I never bother with curveballs recently since I've lost way too many balls to it in the past but this tip does seem to be working out very well. I've tried it on a few nearby Pidgey after reading the guide and it's working well so far, I'll try it out properly when I head out in a few minutes and report back with how it goes! Thanks for the tips :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    I never bother with curveballs recently since I've lost way too many balls to it in the past but this tip does seem to be working out very well. I've tried it on a few nearby Pidgey after reading the guide and it's working well so far, I'll try it out properly when I head out in a few minutes and report back with how it goes! Thanks for the tips :)

It feels great that i hopefully managed to help someone :)

The same diagonal, once you figured it out, works for any distance, its just a matter of how much of the diagonal you use that determines the distance.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I'm finding that it only seems to work if you spin in the bottom-right corner then throw diagonally upwards towards the left - do you get the same?

Back