• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Photograph of the Fortnight

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Well, I was going to post this in Competitions but I decided to keep the discussions outside of the sub-forum in hope to keep things organized.

So, would you guys like to see a photography competition? I was thinking of either a bi-weekly competition or a monthly one. If you want to know more about POT?'s past, have a look at this thread. I'm hoping to get this one off the ground this time however.

Basically this wont be a strictly professional competition at all but it would be good to see some nice photography.

Things I'd like to see here.

• Give us your opinion on whether you'd like to see it go ahead.
    • Suggest a time frame for the competition.
    • Suggest rules and whether themes would work or not.
    • General input on the topic at hand is fine.
    I will be making an emblem for this also, for the winners. I appreciate any constructive input here guys, I know we have some good photographers hiding away in here.

kasabian_

Good bye
    Years
  • Tell me if this is is SPAM, I can't understand stuff :(

I'd really love to see this go ahead, but every fortnight.
    Because if you have it per month, it's gonna be a waste of time with 12 per year :/

Thankyou for reading.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ooh I love this idea. And I think it should be ever week, but that's just me and the fact I like taking photos. XD;

I think themes could work, but only if they're representing something rather than something exact. For example, instead of the ocean (not all might actually be able to get to the ocean), "A fresh ocean breeze" and leave that up to interpretation. But if they're exact themes then there would be way less participants imo. But yeah I support this idea. XD

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Tell me if this is is SPAM, I can't understand stuff :(

I'd really love to see this go ahead, but every fortnight.
    Because if you have it per month, it's gonna be a waste of time with 12 per year :/

Thankyou for reading.

Every fortnight is what I'm thinking but, I'm not sure how active this will be.

Ooh I love this idea. And I think it should be ever week, but that's just me and the fact I like taking photos. XD;

I think themes could work, but only if they're representing something rather than something exact. For example, instead of the ocean (not all might actually be able to get to the ocean), "A fresh ocean breeze" and leave that up to interpretation. But if they're exact themes then there would be way less participants imo. But yeah I support this idea. XD

If it was weekly I don't think that would be a lot of time, 2 weeks seems like a good time frame to take a few good snaps. I mean, I don't know how active this will be either seeing as in it's never been done officially (I think), so I just wanna start slow and see how it goes.

I'm gonna have to be very broad with themes of course, so I concur. The first theme will be open I think anyway, or at least something very very broad and easy to manage.

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • I'd definitely like to see this. It'd make me actually go out and shoot more, which is something I've been struggling with lately.

Also, two weeks is more than enough time to get out and shoot the photo, then process and choose which one you're going to enter.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • I'm not particularly active in this section but, in my opinion at least, a photography competition is a great idea. something I'd definitely take part in and it might help to draw different people here. And I'd go for weekly/bi-weekly, just so I have more of an excuse to take pictures often. And, as said before, themes will work well if they're broad and open to interpretation.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I would love to see this put into place. I haven't done much photography since I've been busy doing Spriting and GFX I've barely had any time for Photography. It would be a nice break to stop entering other Art Competitions and do Photography Contests.

Would there be Emblems like the SotW and IotW or will we wait for a while before any prizes are implemented?

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Go with two weeks at first, and if there aren't enough entries, bump it up to a month?
    I'd love to see this, especially if you're going to run it. xD
    Or someone else who won't cop out.

OTL

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Well yes, I will hose it for now. However I don't mind if someone takes over or wishes to take turns with me. I think I'll see how the Get-Together goes and see how many people were interested in the photography event and from there we'll probably know. In any case, it'll be soon and most likely fortnightly. I much appreciate the comments, but keep them coming.

Oh, and yes, there will be emblems. I would get them implemented as quickly as possible, people just procrastinate sometimes and that would be the cause of some things not getting done right away. When it comes to making and uploading an emblem I should have one for the first winner right away and so on, hopefully.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • ^It's a good idea to see how the Get2Gether turns out. Gives a great number to how many people are willing to enter. Last Year when I hosted it we had about 5-10 People entering each Category. If I can remember well there were about 10 or so entering the Open Category. Though Numbers might change this year I'm not sure but I have seen a few requests for the photography contest to come back for the Get2gether this year

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • Yeah, I'd really really really like to see this work out.
    Would this just be like SoTW where it's user voted and they can comment if they'd like?

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Yeah, I'd really really really like to see this work out.
    Would this just be like SoTW where it's user voted and they can comment if they'd like?

Yes it would work a lot like both SotW and IotW. However, in saying that, I'm well open to interpretation and I am welcoming any suggestions as to how you'd like to see it run.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I love taking photography, and I've been hoping one of this would come one day. I think it's a great idea and will definitely raise activity.
    But yeahh, I agree with waiting to see how well the photography event goes in the get together. I'm definitely going to be one to enter. xD

Silver

Kyle
    Years

• Yes it would work a lot like both SotW and IotW. However, in saying that, I'm well open to interpretation and I am welcoming any suggestions as to how you'd like to see it run.

I think running it like SoTW and IoTW would be easiest, my only slight/small concern is the users voting might only look at composition, and not technical aspects such as lighting and so on. =/

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Given the amount of interest I've seen shown for the Get-Together photography contest, I believe I'm going to go ahead and run Photograph of the Fortnight, at last, on PC. After a long time of speculation it should officially be up within th coming days.

Back