• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Photography School

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
  • Username: Mr Cat Dog
    Camera Type: iPhone 3G
    Experience (If any): Absolutely zero! Apart from taking pictures of random stuff on holidays, I don't really know anything about photography. Total blank slate!
    What you would like to learn: How to take nice pictures on a iPhone, if it's at all possible!

Years
  • Question/Comment:

I would like to join, but all I have is my phone, a Env3. I could use my moms digital if needed (I dont know what type it is)
    I have always loved to take photos, no matter how "novice" they seem. I am in i photography class at school where we work with canon and kodak i think. I probably have all the skills their. but would I be able to join?

Username: Mr Cat Dog
    Camera Type: iPhone 3G
    Experience (If any): Absolutely zero! Apart from taking pictures of random stuff on holidays, I don't really know anything about photography. Total blank slate!
    What you would like to learn: How to take nice pictures on a iPhone, if it's at all possible!

First off, welcome to Mr Cat Dog, lovely to have you here.

This next part is for both of you, Mr Cat Dog and countryemo. I found the site that has videos on the iPhone camera. You should really have a look at this!
    https://fstoppers.com/iphone

See, you don't need a stupidly expensive kit to take beautiful photos. I feel like it is a cop out sending you there, but I couldn't say it better myself. If you have problems understanding the tutorial, feel free to ask.​

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    The thing is, a great deal about photos, is simply the composition, timing and how you shot it. You don't need to think about the quality, sure, it's always better to have a good DSLR, but us as tutors can teach so much more than just how to use a camera. There's a lots more dynamics that go into photography, which we will focus on more so.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • Username: Thomas
    Camera Type: iPhone 4
    Experience (If any): None
    What you would like to learn: Take better pictures with limited resources.

I also have a fairly new Canon point-and-shoot camera, but now that I have an iPhone 4 which takes great pictures awesome pictures, I find no use for it anymore. I rarely pull it out of my room. But I am *hopefully* getting a used Canon 10D soon, old, but it will do the job for what I want to do with it.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Username: countryemo
    Camera Type: Just a digital camera my phone really just sucks
    Experience (If any): Im in a photo class. But its mainly photoshop. But we are doing, Rule of Thirds, Lines, perspective, and some others, so just some techniques.
    What you would like to learn:Anything I guess?

Years
  • Username: Thomas
    Camera Type: iPhone 4
    Experience (If any): None
    What you would like to learn: Take better pictures with limited resources.

I also have a fairly new Canon point-and-shoot camera, but now that I have an iPhone 4 which takes great pictures awesome pictures, I find no use for it anymore. I rarely pull it out of my room. But I am *hopefully* getting a used Canon 10D soon, old, but it will do the job for what I want to do with it.

Username: countryemo
    Camera Type: Just a digital camera my phone really just sucks
    Experience (If any): Im in a photo class. But its mainly photoshop. But we are doing, Rule of Thirds, Lines, perspective, and some others, so just some techniques.
    What you would like to learn:Anything I guess?

Welcome to our two new members.

Sorry for nothing happening just yet guys, we are still working on the little things for the school. However, we shall be getting classes going soon. If, in the meantime, you want to ask us questions, feel free to do so! 8D​

Years
  • Question directed at: Any Tutor
    Question: I just wanna know, how did the photographer work with their depth.

Ok, sorry if this is completely wrong, but I am not sure 100% what you mean by depth.

Do you mean how to blur the background and focus on one part of the picture, or do you mean making a picture seem deeper than it is or something else?​

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    If your referring to the settings, you might work with aperture, by making the aperture a low number, like 5, while focusing on the main point of the photograph, you can blur the background of a photo. Here's an example I just took for you, I set the aperture to 0.25, meaning I had a slow shutter speed, and focused on the ball in front, and so I added some depth to the photo.

You could also work with other settings such as white balance, but it really depends on what you mean. Pinhole photography is pretty deep, but if you could show me an example maybe?

Speed

Skyward
    Years
  • Camera Type:Don't have it with me right now, I'll check tomorrow.
    Experience (If any):I can take pictures, but that's it. :D
    What you would like to learn:Everything I can possibly learn.

MegaSlowBro.

泣かないで。
    Years
  • This sounds like fun - looking forward to what we're going to do later on. :D

Username: SkyKnight
    Camera Type: Olympus OM-1 (Manual)
    Experience (If any): I'm taking photography as my elective at the moment, but we're only doing black and white this year. I've learned how to process film and make prints (there's a darkroom connected to the classroom), as well as the terms (ISO, aperture, hot shoe, and so on). Other than that, just some different types of photography through assignments (street, rule of thirds, documentary, etc).
    What you would like to learn: Mainly how to operate a DSLR, but I'd like to learn more types of photography and how to appropriately use different
    lenses.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I'm joining Nica, happy birthday~!

Username: vaporeon7
    Camera Type: Samsung ES25
    Experience (If any): I do year 10 photography at school but most of it is editing on Photoshop
    What you would like to learn: How to take nice enough photos that I won't need to edit much and my teacher won't criticise me on.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Maybe we can use this thread to post some amateur photography and get criticism while we wait for something concrete to be set up? Or maybe not, your guys' call :P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Camera Type:Don't have it with me right now, I'll check tomorrow.
    Experience (If any):I can take pictures, but that's it. :D
    What you would like to learn:Everything I can possibly learn.

This sounds like fun - looking forward to what we're going to do later on. :D

Username: SkyKnight
    Camera Type: Olympus OM-1 (Manual)
    Experience (If any): I'm taking photography as my elective at the moment, but we're only doing black and white this year. I've learned how to process film and make prints (there's a darkroom connected to the classroom), as well as the terms (ISO, aperture, hot shoe, and so on). Other than that, just some different types of photography through assignments (street, rule of thirds, documentary, etc).
    What you would like to learn: Mainly how to operate a DSLR, but I'd like to learn more types of photography and how to appropriately use different
    lenses.

I'm joining Nica, happy birthday~!

Username: vaporeon7
    Camera Type: Samsung ES25
    Experience (If any): I do year 10 photography at school but most of it is editing on Photoshop
    What you would like to learn: How to take nice enough photos that I won't need to edit much and my teacher won't criticise me on.

Welcome you three ^____^

Maybe we can use this thread to post some amateur photography and get criticism while we wait for something concrete to be set up? Or maybe not, your guys' call :P

Mhm, that's fine by me, since not much else is happening in this thread at the moment and it might spark activity too. Dunno 'bout the other two, though.

Precipice

I may be pure badass, but...
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2012
    Username: Precipice
    Camera Type: Canon EOS 450D with a sigma 18-200mm lense. (just borrowing my dads)
    Experience (If any): Only when I've found myself out and about with a camera.
    What you would like to learn: Just some good tips for where to look for a photograph, how to get good depth and good timing. Basically anything people see useful.

Years
  • Username: Precipice
    Camera Type: Canon EOS 450D with a sigma 18-200mm lense. (just borrowing my dads)
    Experience (If any): Only when I've found myself out and about with a camera.
    What you would like to learn: Just some good tips for where to look for a photograph, how to get good depth and good timing. Basically anything people see useful.

Hi and welcome to the Photography school. We can teach you what you are looking for, so you are alright! ^_^​

Fine by me as well. I would say only keep it to a maximum of 2 pictures per post, as it might discourage people from posting actual Photography galleries. :)​

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Since it seems a little slow atm, I'll post a few pictures for critique. :3

This one I took a few days ago, when it was still all gloomyrainy. There are so many flowers here now that it's spring that it's hard not to take 293408239 pictures of them. D;

Spoiler:

Aaaaand this one I took today at the petting zoo on the quad. The pony was like "What's a camera...?" I'm really not sure about it because the nose is in focus but the rest is a bit fuzzy, so I'm not sure if it's just too fuzzy in general or if it came out nice because of depth or something. XD

Spoiler:

Back