• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PHP/MySQL

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Ok, I'm making a tagboard for my first PHP/MySQL script and I think I have something wrong with the input query since nothing shows up in the table. Can anyone help? Here's the code:
    PHP:
    <?php
    include("dbinfo.php");

$name=$_POST['name'];
    $website=$_POST['website']; 
    $email=$_POST['email'];
    $message=$_POST['message'];

mysql_connect(localhost,$username,$password);
    @mysql_select_db($database) or die( "Unable to select database");

$query = "INSERT INTO tagboard VALUES ('','$name,'$website','$email','$message')"; 
    mysql_query($query);

mysql_close(); 

?>
    I don't see any error in it or my dbinfo page. Can someone please help? And if you know how to use a file for the database instead of a MySQL database, can you please help me on that too? Thanks.
    Also, if you need it, here's what's in the table:
    Name Type Length Extra
    id INT 6 PRIMARY auto_increment
    website VARCHAR 15
    email VARCHAR 15
    message VARCHAR 50

Last edited:

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
  • Err... I don't know all that much about php/mySQL yet... but...

PHP:
    $name=$_POST['name'];
    $website=$_POST['website'];
    $email=$_POST['email'];
    $message=$_POST['message'];
    Should be...
    PHP:
    $name = $_POST['name'];
    $website = $_POST['website'];
    $email = $_POST['email'];
    $message = $_POST['message'];

Right? O-o

Master Kwesi Nkromah

"Pokéfan Kwesi"
    Years
  • I don't really think the way you're going about it is correct. Then again there are probably more than one way to retrieve data from your database. this is how I do it.

first connect
    PHP:
    //Connecting to the database
      	ConnectToDatabase($user, $pass, $db);

then the query
    PHP:
    $result = GetPokemonInfo(8);
      	while($a_row = mysql_fetch_object($result))
      {

now i left the curly bracket open because what you'll have within it is the array. it'll end up being somthing like this
    PHP:
    print "$a_row->EnglishName"
    if the feild you're trying to access is called "EnglishName".
    then you just close the while function, database and connection

I took this code from one of my projects, so it'll look alil diffrent than yours. for example, in your script $result may equal:
    PHP:
    			$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tblPokemonJokes WHERE tblPokemonJoke.ID = "Pikachu");

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Master Kwesi Nkromah said:
    I don't really think the way you're going about it is correct. Then again there are probably more than one way to retrieve data from your database. this is how I do it.

first connect
    PHP:
    //Connecting to the database
      	ConnectToDatabase($user, $pass, $db);

then the query
    PHP:
    $result = GetPokemonInfo(8);
      	while($a_row = mysql_fetch_object($result))
      {

now i left the curly bracket open because what you'll have within it is the array. it'll end up being somthing like this
    PHP:
    print "$a_row->EnglishName"
    if the feild you're trying to access is called "EnglishName".
    then you just close the while function, database and connection

I took this code from one of my projects, so it'll look alil diffrent than yours. for example, in your script $result may equal:
    PHP:
    			$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM tblPokemonJokes WHERE tblPokemonJoke.ID = "Pikachu");

Yeah, that's retriving. The problem is inserting the infomation I guess because phpMYAdmin is telling me that there's nothing in the table. But I like your way, it's better than the one in the tutorial I followed.

Master Kwesi Nkromah

"Pokéfan Kwesi"
    Years
  • Uhh, yeah.. you would have to insert data into the table before you could retrieve it.. hehe. if you'd like I can post a full tutorial of how i accessed and retrived data from a database.

Back