• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Physical/Special Attacks

Tw1tch

Amateur Dragon Breeder
Years
  • From what I've learned, attacks like Hyper Beam will be considered Special Attacks while Thunderpunch will be considered a physical attack. I've spent some time thinking about how this would affect numerous Pokemon.

Hitmonchan: The elemental punches would become physical attacks, so Hitmonchan would probably end up with a better moveset.

Absol/Mightyena/Dark types with low Sp.Atk.: I believe that Crunch will become a Physical attack, which is great because I HATE having dark types that don't function well with Dark-type moves!

Dragonite/Salamence: Dragonite has very high attack power, and its special attack isn't as high. Hopefully, moves like Dragon Claw will become physical attacks!

Gastly/Haunter/Gengar: Though its not difficult to give Gengar a good Special Attack moveset, it was never able to deal great damage with attacks of either of its own types. I'm hoping that some Ghost attacks become Special Attack moves.

Shadow Ball: Shadow Ball can be learned by many Pokemon. It can be learned by those who have good Attack or low Attack. If it were to become a Special Attack, it would benefit Pokemon like Gengar and Gardevoir, but what about Pokemon like Snorlax or Absol whose main focus is Attack? Would it be better to change Shadow Ball to a Special Attack? Or would it cause too many problems?

Seriously, this could change how everyone battles, so it's VERY important. Does anyone else have any opinions on what may happen?

SkinnyGreenMan

█▓▒═─┤SkinnyG reen├─═ ▒▓█
    Years
  • I'm curious as to what they'll do with Earthquake and Rockslide.

Since they are not "Direct" attacks, will they stay physical, or will they turn special? Turning them special would really change things... probably for the worse.

SkinnyGreenMan

Years
  • Did I answer your question?

Well... Tehcnicly you just supplied data that could support an answer, lol.

Obviously, then, physical/special moves are not based on weather they are contact attacks or not.

Still, they might classify special attacks as "Long Range" and physical attacks as "Close Range"?

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • that is true, but also on Serebii, that new little electric squirrel pokemon (i'm bad with jap names) learns spark, and it's categorized as a physical attack. i really don't get it, if anything, wouldn't it be more alike a Special attack? i could see how bone rush and poison sting are classified that way because the attacks consist of physical objects (the bone and the barb) that can be held/contained. however, something like a bolt of electricy cannot, so why is that attack still a physical one? the weirdos at gamefreak >/

the classification of type of attack shouldn't depend on range at all. i think this because what they're trying to do is make the game more realistic, ehhem, or "anime-driven". this being said, range doesn't prove to change the effects of an attack on the anime itself. geez..

SkinnyGreenMan

Years
  • I think Spark is supposed to be a ramming electrical attack... that explains why it's physical. If you look at the game animation for it, it looks like a ram.

Samson

Years
  • yeah, you're probably right. i was thinking that volt tackle and thunder punch were the only physical electric attacks, but that's only because i never cared to let any of my pokemon learn spark after i tought them thunderbolt.

maybe this physical/special thing will be a good thing afterall. i can only guess earthquake will be a special attack, and that's going to ruin a lotta move-type mixers.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

I'm sure they will keep Earthquake and Rock Slide physical, otherwise, they'd be completely screwing over every single Ground type in the game.

Kingler will rock with a physical CrabHammer + 130 Attack power.
    Gyarados gets a physical Water move – Waterfall – hooray!
    Special Shadow Ball will be Alakazam's second strongest move.

~*^*~~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~ ~*^*~~*^*~

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I'm curious as to what they'll do with Earthquake and Rockslide.

Since they are not "Direct" attacks, will they stay physical, or will they turn special? Turning them special would really change things... probably for the worse.
    Why would Earthquake and Rockslide be special attacks? ''ZOMG! I'll just use my psychic powers to create an earthquake/throw rocks at someone olololol!!!!111.'' Nintendo never said direct attacks would always be physical attacks and indirect attacks would always be special attacks.

And yay for Kingler and Crawdaunt finally getting the love they deserve! ^o^ They both have high Attack and get random physical STAB fun. =D

aragornbird said:
    Gyarados gets a physical Water move – Waterfall – hooray!
    ^ So, sue me if I was too lazy to change the colour. =P

How could I forget about Gyarados? O.O Yay for physical Waterfall. =D

Samson

Years
  • yes, you're definitely right aragon, but by the sounds, a LARGE portion of the overall TMs are going to be physical (besides the obvious water, fire and psychic moves). and wow, waterfall will be physical? good for gyarados, seaking and poliwrath.

what?

an 815 survivor :P
    Years
    • Seen May 23, 2007
    if you have to know which attacks are physical or not, check a pokemon GC game.
    earthquake will probably be special, just to counteract the many benefits that physical sweepers will now get.
    besides, they'll make it up to the ground-types by creating another ground moves, i hope.

Tw1tch

Amateur Dragon Breeder
    Years
  • If they made Earthquake a special move, I'd be angry and happy at the same time. Happy for my Sceptile and Charizard, but angry for my Snorlax, Golem, Tyranitar, Dragonite, Feraligatr, Flygon........the list goes on...

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    earthquake will probably be special, just to counteract the many benefits that physical sweepers will now get.
    ''ZOMG! Look at me creating an earthquake with my psychic powers!'' -.- I honestly don't see that happening. When exactly did Nintendo say indirect attacks are always special attacks? It just doesn't make sense. Besides, Earthquake is used by jumping or slamming into the ground with full body weight and that doesn't seem very special-ish to me.
    It also makes the previously crappy move somewhat useful.
    Indeed... I can also imagine Feraligatr and Swampert having very good use for Waterfall.

what?

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2007
    Smarties-kun said:
    ''ZOMG! Look at me creating an earthquake with my psychic powers!'' -.- I honestly don't see that happening. When exactly did Nintendo say indirect attacks are always special attacks? It just doesn't make sense. Besides, Earthquake is used by jumping or slamming into the ground with full body weight and that doesn't seem very special-ish to me.

Well, earthquakes can be "summoned". e.g. absol and whiscash. but come on, just think about all the moves that will be moving over to the ATT side...

~Alakazam~

Psychic Eye
    Years
  • Wow, this got here pretty late.

I think that both Earthquake and Rock Slide will be special, as they are not direct attacks, but rather calling upon the earth to attack. Rock Throw, on the other hand, could possible be physical.

diageo11

Aspiring Eevee Trainer
    Years
  • I think Earthquake will be physical as the pokemon hit the ground really hard to do it.
    Rock slide and rock throw too as they hit the ground hitting rocks up that hit the opponent. (A lot of "hit" there) sorry.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    If Earthquake becomes a special attack, then I will know that GF is totally devoid of any common reasoning. Attacks don't get more physical than an Earthquake.

what?

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2007
    well let's just hope they make it up to the SP.ATTackers somehow, just like they did with the choice band.

there are way too many physical attackers and they have the same basic movesets: earthquake;rockslide;etc. it's too repetitive. boring.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    That is because the good physical attack movepool is quite limited. Plus that and QuakSlide works so well together. With the elemental punches becoming physical now though you will see some diversity. RS paired with EQ so that Ground-types could hit any Flying Pokes that were immune to EQ. With Thunderpunch and Ice Punch, you will definitely see more variety, especially since both do the same damage as RS, but are 100% instead of 90%.

Don't forget BoltBeam on the special side. That also is overused. They must have something in the works to help water that down too.

Back