• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pikachu Used Diet!

AlphaMightyena

A Mightyena Fapper
Years
  • if you look at the 1st- 4th gen sprites of pikachu, you'll notice that he's getting skinnier! (although in between 3-4 he just got taller at least to me)

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • That's true even of its official art. :) Go back and watch some episodes from the first season or view some guidebooks from RBY and you'll see there's a big difference with how Pikachu was drawn, haha. I kinda miss chubby!Pikachu but I must admit I do really like its newer, more lean design. Matches the fact that it's supposed to be speedy.

My favourite Pika is the oval-head Pokemon Centre one though. :D

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Ever heard of technological advancements? The reason Pikachu was so big is because the only usable pixels where the size of popcorn, literally.
    No, take a look at Pikachu's sprite in RB and then look at the Yellow sprite. ;) Definitely a difference and that's the same technology. It's had a few makeovers in the last 10 years.

dark_giratina

Being of Emotion
    Years
  • Oh yeah, compared to like Yellow and stuff, I never really noticed that much until now, i dont really care much for pikachu, electabuzz rules:)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    MartianOddity said:
    Darker Shot said:
    Ever heard of technological advancements? The reason Pikachu was so big is because the only usable pixels where the size of popcorn, literally
    Well, first of all the sprites are based on the offical artwork of Ken Sugimori, second of all his first artwork of Pikachu is the one that's chubby.

Thus it's originally chubby.
    Well it wasn't known that Pikachu, or even Pokemon, would take off like it did so it was only smart to try to keep up and redesign many of the Pokemon to make them more lean and "attractive", Pikachu being the best example. If you look at the original artwork, seen on the RB guide, all the Pokemon look like animals which is in sharp contrast to their present artwork, which portrays them as cute beings with human-level intelligence.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Well it wasn't known that Pikachu, or even Pokemon, would take off like it did so it was only smart to try to keep up and redesign many of the Pokemon to make them more lean and "attractive", Pikachu being the best example. If you look at the original artwork, seen on the RB guide, all the Pokemon look like animals which is in sharp contrast to their present artwork, which portrays them as cute beings with human-level intelligence.

Not necessarily true, Porygon still uses the same artwork it does in the earlier gens, unmodified at all, accept for the occasional Flat Head>Angle Head change.

But on topic, yea, I've noticed that Pikachu has gotten thinner and thinner, taking away some of it's "cute" factor, while making it look less like something you'd roast on a stick if you were really hungry out in the wild.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016

Not necessarily true, Porygon still uses the same artwork it does in the earlier gens, unmodified at all, accept for the occasional Flat Head>Angle Head change.

But on topic, yea, I've noticed that Pikachu has gotten thinner and thinner, taking away some of it's "cute" factor, while making it look less like something you'd roast on a stick if you were really hungry out in the wild.
    Well, for one, Porygon isn't an obvious mascot for the franchise. It would be easily forgotten, especially since they've gone out of their way to not show off Porygon or any of its evolutions (note, the anime-seizure controversy).

And secondly, Porygon is supposed to be a sharp-lined, blocky Pokemon and any changes against that would make it a Porygon2 (one could argue that the creation of Porygon2 was partially motivated by the "cutification" of the franchise and applying it to Porygon without contradicting the earlier reason).

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Well, for one, Porygon isn't an obvious mascot for the franchise. It would be easily forgotten, especially since they've gone out of their way to not show off Porygon or any of its evolutions (note, the anime-seizure controversy).

And secondly, Porygon is supposed to be a sharp-lined, blocky Pokemon and any changes against that would make it a Porygon2 (one could argue that the creation of Porygon2 was partially motivated by the "cutification" of the franchise and applying it to Porygon without contradicting the earlier reason).

Hehehehe, actually, Clefairy was the intended mascot for the franchise before for whatever reason Pikachu became more popular, so out came the white angel and in came the yellow rat. (Porygon was at the lower tier of the pokes, matched with Tangella, Ditto, and all those other "gimmics", and it completely lost any note in the anim
    e when Pikachu induced seizures in its episode. )

And yea, I understand what you're saying, some pokémon simply cannot be changed like Electrode or Ditto, but Porygon2 was actually the result of the concept of sub-division in 3D graphics (don't know where the neck came from though.), and a "cutified" version of Porygon can be seen in Pok
    éranch, which resulted in making it's head bigger the the rest of it's body...

But we've strayed too far from the topic...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016

Hehehehe, actually, Clefairy was the intended mascot for the franchise before for whatever reason Pikachu became more popular, so out came the white angel and in came the yellow rat. (Porygon was at the lower tier of the pokes, matched with Tangella, Ditto, and all those other "gimmics", and it completely lost any note in the anim
    e when Pikachu induced seizures in its episode. )

And yea, I understand what you're saying, some pokémon simply cannot be changed like Electrode or Ditto, but Porygon2 was actually the result of the concept of sub-division in 3D graphics (don't know where the neck came from though.), and a "cutified" version of Porygon can be seen in Pok
    éranch, which resulted in making it's head bigger the the rest of it's body...

But we've strayed too far from the topic...
    I heard that, too. I also heard that it was a misunderstanding because someone read the Pocket Monsters manga, which does feature a Red with a Clefairy, and applied it to the anime. May or may not be true, but it is interesting.

I get what you mean about Porygon2 being based on improved 3D graphics, which is pretty obvious. I was just saying that since Porygon is fairly incapable of being cutified, that Porygon2 might have filled that role as well as being an obvious evolution choice.

Well the topic is Pikachu, but I think any Pokemon that has or has not been "on a diet" should be worth talking about.

I'm not arguing against the evolution of the artwork to be more attractive to its target audience, I'm saying that he was indeed chubby in the beginning because the first artworks depicted him like that and that he wasn't chubby because of the limitations of the original Gameboy; which Darker Shot claims is the reason of his initial design.
    I just included you in the shrinky because you were a part of the discussion and I was agreeing with you.

Last edited:

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
    Years
  • Brock makes mention of Pikachu's appearance way back in the day, when Ash was battling him for the Boulder Badge. He said that Ash's Pikachu was in its cutest stage, which meant that it was at its weakest. Pikachu probably physically change as they age, the same way human babies [hopefully] have a higher fat percentage than an adult.

Years
  • I thought the Red Blue Pikachu looked loads like that plushie next to nobody was buying.

I bought a Squirtle plushie.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
  • Brock makes mention of Pikachu's appearance way back in the day, when Ash was battling him for the Boulder Badge. He said that Ash's Pikachu was in its cutest stage, which meant that it was at its weakest. Pikachu probably physically change as they age, the same way human babies [hopefully] have a higher fat percentage than an adult.

You sure he wasn't being patronising? Hmm... even Brock's changed.

Seriously though, Pikachu has slimmed down. Watch the first episode of anime and watch the latest. No one has commented about Pikachu has getting paler as well (unlike most celebrities). I just think drawing styles have evolved over time.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with Porygon. Not to mention he was in the first two movies anyway. It was Mr. Skinny himself who used Thunderbolt and caused the seizures.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • Seriously though, Pikachu has slimmed down. Watch the first episode of anime and watch the latest. No one has commented about Pikachu has getting paler as well (unlike most celebrities). I just think drawing styles have evolved over time.

The next thing happening will probably be that he'll sparkle in the daylight... (Suddenly, I'm getting this weird.. distaste for shinies)

Ayselipera

Never really noticed, but now that you point it out he was much cuter when he was chubby.

AlphaMightyena

A Mightyena Fapper
    Years
  • then again, has anyone noticed that pikachu eats less than it did from now to like the first eapsoide in the anime? infact, when was the last time there was a screenshot of pikachu eating?

Back