• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pikachu ????

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2009
    I wonder if Nintendo even knew pikachu was going to be the most beloved pokemon in the 1st generation or it just sort of happend i mean he was not even a starter ????? i wonder how different would pokemon be if Ash choosed another pokemon instead of Pikachu

Fishyman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • No.
    • Seen Sep 26, 2009
    I wonder if Nintendo even knew pikachu was going to be the most beloved pokemon in the 1st generation or it just sort of happend i mean he was not even a starter ????? i wonder how different would pokemon be if Ash choosed another pokemon instead of Pikachu
    Pokemon's mascot was actually supposed to be Clefairy.

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    Clefairy was originally supposed to be Ash's Pokémon and a good deal of Pikachu's popularity is due to advertising.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Personally, I don't like the mouse. I don't mind Raichu though.

If Ash had gotten another Pokemon, say Eevee, Eevee would then become the most popular. That's just the way it goes.

salmence33

I'm out here
    Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    I wish he got magikarp,then magikarp would be the mascop
    imagine people in magikarp costumes
    more like sushi advertising

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • They made the change from Clefairy to Pikachu on short notice but only because Pikachu was more popular and to make the anime more similar to the manga.

There wouldn't be much difference really. Clefairy would just battle in a different way, make Team Rocket blast off in a different way, etc. Overall the storyline wouldn't be that effected, but the image of Pokemon might have been.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2023
    It may have also been because clefairy was more of a femenin pokemon, you know being pink and having fairy in its name. I think they were just trying to target more boys than girls and pokemon pink I dont think is as good of a title but pokemon moon could have some possibilitys.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2023
    I think that the only other starter pokemon if possible that wouldn't change the story much (at least the indigo chapter) would have been charmander. because it could have burnt misty's bike and caused the sprinklers to go off in brocks gym thus beating his onix and having him join the group to. if you remember in the first episode his first pick was bulbasaur/squritle/charmander in that order wich showed how in the begining of the series he wanted to do the least work to win his gym battles. seeing as bulbasaur is strong agenst the first 2 gyms and resistent to the next 2 then squritle is strong only agenst the 1st gym then has a resistens to the 2nd gym. then anyone who picked charmander knows It is great agenst the trainers in the early part of the game with all the bug catchers but is week for the first 2 gyms and dosnt have any stab bonus until the 4th gym. Im just trying to say that having a pokemon that you would have to work with adds more caracter development to the show.

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
  • Meh I've always liked Pickachu, but I think Shinx beats it in the cuteness stakes in 4th Gen. <3

Maybe its because it's bright yellow? Yellow is a colour that makes most people happy... I dunno :P

Ayselipera

Pikachu is fine with me, but I do think it would be odd if he ever started with a different pokemon. Imagine Ash having Dratini for a starter and then ending the series with a Dragonite. It would just be so odd.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    i don't mind pikachu

if clefairy was the mascot instead
    the show would be the same except with a clefair instead of pikachu
    and everyone would hate clefairy's :B

dream's-epilogue

Worthless
    Years
  • Meh. Animechu. I've said this a zillion times.

Just ignore him. He's an embarassment to Chu's everywhere. MAke him overpowered, give no logical or rational explanation, and have him blow away everything, yet somehow still lose in situations that pale in comparison to otehr circumstances he easily overcame.

Yes, I'm ashamed to admit it, I used to like him. Now that I'm older and more intelligent, I acknolwdge that he's a walking logical fallacy.

DON'T HATE PIKACHU JUST BECAUSE OF ANIMECHU! HE IS NOT AN ACCURATE REPRESENTATION! HATE ANIMECHU, NOT ALL PIKACHU!

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • I think that the only other starter pokemon if possible that wouldn't change the story much (at least the indigo chapter) would have been charmander. because it could have burnt misty's bike and caused the sprinklers to go off in brocks gym thus beating his onix and having him join the group to. if you remember in the first episode his first pick was bulbasaur/squritle/charmander in that order wich showed how in the begining of the series he wanted to do the least work to win his gym battles. seeing as bulbasaur is strong agenst the first 2 gyms and resistent to the next 2 then squritle is strong only agenst the 1st gym then has a resistens to the 2nd gym. then anyone who picked charmander knows It is great agenst the trainers in the early part of the game with all the bug catchers but is week for the first 2 gyms and dosnt have any stab bonus until the 4th gym. Im just trying to say that having a pokemon that you would have to work with adds more caracter development to the show.
    There's always Metronome from Clefairy, which can turn into any move that exists. :x

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Clefairy would be hated by the masses instead of Pikachu. Let's face it: Pikachu was meant to be hated.

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
    Years
  • That's weird. I never thought of them thinking about him becoming so loved. It's probably because Pikachu was Ash's first and they followed the Journey of Ash, as if it was Gary it would be Squirtle.

Back