• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixelpusher's Dot Contest

tpmrpg

Beginning Hacker, Gamer
Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2013
    I'm going to change my emblem so it has my name on it

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • I was really hoping I would get third place, considering I worked pretty hard on my piece, but I guess what made a piece qualify was having real Pokemon-style work, intead of your own
    Im sure everybody worked very hard on all of they're entries so there should be no reason to complain. I did not judge based on pokemon style, I judged based on what looks the best, what fits the theme and the creativity. If I found an exceptional piece with exceptional style and fits the theme I would have certainly placed them though I only saw pokemon style. And again everybody worked very hard on they're entries and I do not appreciate you complaining about how the judges only judged on pokemon style and how hard you worked on your piece. Its quite rude what you've just done, it insults the judges and the pixel artists.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Lovely, lovely results. Thanks for hosting and judging this competition! It was great fun.

But to be honest, I was a bit sceptical about NiKaNoRoU's entry :P I guess it just proves how skilled he is ;)

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just saying that I had tried hard. I am sure everyone else triedhard, and I am sure that the judges know much more than me when it comes to pixel art (or anything, for that matter). I was saying that, I tried a different style, and that is probably where i went wrong. I truly apoligize for my complaining.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Im sure everybody worked very hard on all of they're entries so there should be no reason to complain. I did not judge based on pokemon style, I judged based on what looks the best, what fits the theme and the creativity. If I found an exceptional piece with exceptional style and fits the theme I would have certainly placed them though I only saw pokemon style. And again everybody worked very hard on they're entries and I do not appreciate you complaining about how the judges only judged on pokemon style and how hard you worked on your piece. Its quite rude what you've just done, it insults the judges and the pixel artists.
    Oi, Robo, relax. It's not about winning, it's about participating, eh? (that coming from an attention git ;_; )

Anyway, you all indeed worked hard for it, guys. So, by also pointing out that ego thingy below, let's just stick to the matter that 'everyone qualifies as best on their side of view'. I'm pretty sure that if the judges were participating as normal contestants then there would be even greater pieces of art among us.
    Lovely, lovely results. Thanks for hosting and judging this competition! It was great fun.

But to be honest, I was a bit sceptical about NiKaNoRoU's entry :P I guess it just proves how skilled he is ;)
    I was a bit sceptical myself, lol. To be honest, I would also put myself to the top of these entries, but that's because of my ego, that I don't see the whole qualification of it.

Last edited:

Zenith95s

El Psy Congroo
    Years
  • Pixelpusher's Dot Contest

At least I am 4th in participation entries...
    Also, I made this in 2 mins...
    Ahhh....this won't help... :(

I have to be happy now with this!!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Would you be willing to give comments and critique to those who want it because of the delayed deadline? Because I wanted to see how I could make my peice better

Netish

errr CANDY MOUNTAIN!!!
    Years
  • um I don't mean to be rude but I did participate and though there WERE problems with initially with entry (as in I was told I wasn't allowed to use the spray can which apparently not so as another applicant was told he/she could...) I do not understand why I am not getting a participation emblem =( Especially since I resubmitted before the deadline a corrected piece...

Years
  • Netish your entry was a drawing. You used a brush that you used to draw. It's not really considered pixel art, though that Meowth is sort of pixel art.

Netish

errr CANDY MOUNTAIN!!!
    Years
  • because it was a pixel over, you had to submit a scratched entry that was not made before the contest started.
    Um hello it was NOT made before the contest, it was made during also it was from SCRATCH I did not do a pixel over!

Netish your entry was a drawing. You used a brush that you used to draw. It's not really considered pixel art, though that Meowth is sort of pixel art.
    Isn't using the pencil which only does one pixel at a time doing pixel art? How is that different? I did not use any other tools so how is it not "pixel art"?

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
    Years

• Um hello it was NOT made before the contest, it was made during also it was from SCRATCH I did not do a pixel over!

Isn't using the pencil which only does one pixel at a time doing pixel art? How is that different? I did not use any other tools so how is it not "pixel art"?

Pixel by pixel, not grabbing the spray can and drawing.
    The spray can would of been fine, if you had made some pixel art.

Netish

errr CANDY MOUNTAIN!!!
    Years

• Pixel by pixel, not grabbing the spray can and drawing.
    The spray can would of been fine, if you had made some pixel art.
    THAT'S WHAT I SAID and I DIDN'T EVEN USE THE SPRAY CAN! I keep saying this over and over,
    1 I MADE IT FROM SCRATCH it was not a "pixel over"
    2 It was made AFTER the contest was started
    3 It WAS MADE PIXEL BY PIXEL using the pencil in paint
    4 I was told not to use the spray can and thus REDID it WITHOUT

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years

• THAT'S WHAT I SAID and I DIDN'T EVEN USE THE SPRAY CAN! I keep saying this over and over,
    1 I MADE IT FROM SCRATCH it was not a "pixel over"
    2 It was made AFTER the contest was started
    3 It WAS MADE PIXEL BY PIXEL using the pencil in paint
    4 I was told not to use the spray can and thus REDID it WITHOUT
    You act like you know better then the judges. Let me first tell you Ive been pixeling for 2 years now and I can clearly tell what pixel art and what isn't. Now in your second entry you didn't use the spray can nonetheless you used other tools like the paintbrush. Now the number one reason why everybody is telling you this is because its not pixel art. Y'know why everybody is telling you this, its because its true. Pixel art is made pixel by pixel traditional using the pencil tool. You obviously used the pencil tool but not doing it pixel by pixel. Here is a example of pixel art:

Now here is an example of MS paint Art:

Big difference, huh? Now your entry was MS paint art because, MS paint art uses all the tools of MS paint to create artwork. Pixel art is when you doing a drawing on a small scale pixel by pixel, and paying attention to all the little details. Now I hope you understand this and please stop complaining, I do not want to have a huge argument. Thanks~

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    You act like you know better then the judges. Let me first tell you Ive been pixeling for 2 years now and I can clearly tell what pixel art and what isn't. Now in your second entry you didn't use the spray can nonetheless you used other tools like the paintbrush. Now the number one reason why everybody is telling you this is because its not pixel art. Y'know why everybody is telling you this, its because its true. Pixel art is made pixel by pixel traditional using the pencil tool. You obviously used the pencil tool but not doing it pixel by pixel. Here is a example of pixel art:

Big difference, huh? Now your entry was MS paint art because, MS paint art uses all the tools of MS paint to create artwork. Pixel art is when you doing a drawing on a small scale pixel by pixel, and paying attention to all the little details. Now I hope you understand this and please stop complaining, I do not want to have a huge argument. Thanks~
    Can't the penicil with out AA be used to make large scale pixel art, andthen you add the details though? Just wondering, because I do that and refine it, so maybe that's what he mistook it for, but still arguing with the judges is not okay..

Netish

errr CANDY MOUNTAIN!!!
    Years
  • You act like you know better then the judges. Let me first tell you Ive been pixeling for 2 years now and I can clearly tell what pixel art and what isn't. Now in your second entry you didn't use the spray can nonetheless you used other tools like the paintbrush. Now the number one reason why everybody is telling you this is because its not pixel art. Y'know why everybody is telling you this, its because its true. Pixel art is made pixel by pixel traditional using the pencil tool. You obviously used the pencil tool but not doing it pixel by pixel.

For being falsely accused I have every right to argue. I am not arguing the right of the judges to say my art was bad; I am a beginner so obviously I made mistakes which I freely admitted and then proceeded to fix. I do not know the difference between paint and ms paint. All I know is I used the paint the comes automatically with windows xp. Pixel art is pixel by pixel and I guess the coloring in of the meowth and poliwhirl because they were large instead of magnified is "coloring" instead of pixel art even if the "coloring" was done with the pencil. Thus I concede this was an error and misunderstanding on my part. However, I have every right to have disputed the accusations laid against me that were untrue until a sensible response as to a quantified error was made by robo chibi. Furthermore I would request a explanation as to the difference between paint and ms paint and so forth.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2014
    Here is a example of pixel art:

Not sure if I should be sticking my nose in here... (I just came because I was curious about the contest results.) But this comparison you made really bothers me. Awesome things can be done with MS Paint. Not everything looks like that b&w image that you posted. And t is certainly a program capable of producing pixel art. In fact, the artist that made that monster-toad sprite probably could've done it in MS Paint if he'd wanted to. So using MS Paint to create a sprite instead of Photoshop or something does not mean that it's not still a sprite or that it has to suck. Just making sure you realize that, thanks. <3

Netish said:
    Furthermore I would request a explanation as to the difference between paint and ms paint and so forth.

Same thing. MS Paint = Microsoft Paint. It comes with Windows computers. :)

Congrats to the people that won the contest. There were some good entries! <3

Years
  • This shouldn't get any further..
    The intention of using the paint brush tool isn't really pixel art. There is a difference where you used a 2-10 pixel brush for the outline instead of doing it pixel by pixel. Pixel Art and Spriting tools usually consists of basic tools like the Pencil/Single pixel sized brush, paint bucket and sometimes with the exception of a single pixel sized line tool. You weren't really spriting the Poliwrath, you were drawing the Poliwrath. The process of the lineart/outline is different and mostly different in size and shape. Here's a rough, ugly example.

Hopefully you can check which one looks like a sprite.
    or looks more like a sprite

Netish

errr CANDY MOUNTAIN!!!
    Years
  • thank you Logiedan and riddle raven for the further explanation. It would have been appreciated if such answers could be given initially instead of accusations of the same untrue things over and over! X_X (Side note making outlines pixel by pixel and coloring in makes the thick lines appear-which is how I did it <_< I didn't realize this was an error) I shall not do so again and thank you for the guidance.

Back