• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Platinum: Sinnoh Starter Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameplayerHGSS

Back to Johto in HeartGold...!
    Years
    Okay I just wanted to start my Platinum file over and am stuck at whether to choose Chimchar, Turtwig or Piplup... I have started with Chimchar in my Diamond and Pearl files and recently picked it in my old Platinum file but can someone give me good reasons to try out the other two starters rather than Chimchar for a 4th time? and what aregood natures for that particular starter?

Years
    Why not choose chimchar?
    Chimchar is the best of the three
    but if you really don't want to pick the best, then pick piplup.
    piplup has a good advantage on the firtst gym leader and can level up pretty fast from him, but then there is the next gym which is a grass and piplup/prinplup is not so good against that.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    ^ HAHAHAHA. You honestly think Chimchar is the best? ROFLWAFFLES!

But seriously, it depends on what role you want it to fill. Infernape is obviously the best sweeper, physical, special or mixed, so if you need a fast poke to do some speedy cleanup, take Chimchar.

If however, you are looking for more of a tank, Torterra is the way to go. His speed is awful, so you won't be doing a ton of sweeping. However, his attack and defense stats are great. This is what makes him such a great tank. If you want a poke that can take some heavy damage, and then turn around and deal massive damage with awesome STABs, go with Turtwig.

Empoleon is the last choice, and is sort of a toss-up. He makes a good special wall, but an even better special and or physical sweeper. He can dish out massive hurt with his STAB moves, and boost his speed, making him a powerhouse. His defensive side can stall other pokes out, and then do some damage of his own. So if you're looking for a poke that can go either way, pick the penguin.

EDIT: To whoever the hell repped with the *expletive* comment, knock it off. I honestly believe Empoleon to be the best starter. he has more options than the others, and his typing makes for a good all-around pokes.

Last edited:
    Years
    obviously chimchar is the best, what are you talking about?! tortelia is good for physical attack and defence but special atributes aren't so good. and empoleon is only good for it's speed and special attacks.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    First of all, what the? Speed on Empoleon? He's def. not known for that. Second, Torterra is not meant to use his sp. attack or sp. defense. Just because he can't use his special stats to the fullest extent doesn't meant he's not good. Is Chimchar good all-around? Let me make this as clear as possible: No. He can only sweep if he outspeeds everything. He has absolutely no defense or special defense, so if he goes up against a scarfed poke or most pokes after a DD, he's gone.

Oh The Places You'll Go.

Whatever will be, will be.
    Years
    Personally, pick whichever dips your chip.
    Like Chimchar? Pick it!
    Want a change? There are always alternatives such as Piplup and Turtwig.
    I personally pick the ones I just love to work with. I'm nothing for the competitive battles, natures, EVs or all that good stuff; If your into having a perfect team with perfect stats, do your research and see which one has the highest-everything. ;D

OmegaBreak

It had to be done ...
    Years
    yeah that's true about infernape but i didn't know that about empoleon and yeah torteria is pretty good actually

Who's Torteria ? Really, you obviously know nothing about type dis/advantages. Plus, it depends on what role he wants the Pokemon to fill. Also, keep in mind that the Starter is that. A starter. It's not obligatory to keep the starter throughout the whole game

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I usually did the same thing, I love Infernape so I would always pick Chimchar. But I started a new game in Platinum recently and went with Turtwig. It has gone well thus far. Before, the water gym would always be a pain but with Turtwig it was quite easy. Some challenges in the past will probably become easier and this will open a dooe to new challenges. Its always fun to try something new. If you choose Turtwig or Piplup, you could always catch another fire pokemon for future reference. I just personally find the fun in experimenting with new things. Try one of Turtwig or Piplup out and see how you like it. If it gets to a point where you don't like either or just start over and choose Chimchar. Torterra and Empolean are very powerful pokemon to eventually have aboard also.

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
    Turtwig is a pretty good choice. I went with Turtwig in Platinum and while Torterra is probably my weakest battler on my team he's still not bad. I've never used piplup, but I really don't like him that much because of Empoleon's 2nd type. I've never been a big fan of the steel type.

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
    That depends on what you want for a type of Pokémon, and how your team is going to be...
    Infernape is extremely fast and has huge physical attack and pretty good Sp Attack, but very lossy defenses
    Empoleon is more of a Special Sweeper, and also has fairly good defenses
    Torterra has enormous both Attack and Defense, but not that great Special stats, and is very slow

I have beat the game with all of them, and you really can't get a bad starter, but if you absolutely want, for example, a Floazel in your team, it would be stupid to choose Piplup since you would have two Water-types.
    Personally i think you would go far with a Chimchar, i always choose the Fire Type starter on my first playtrough :P

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    IMO, I'd choose Turtwig if you're not going with Chimchar.
    Whenever Empoleon comes to mind, the first thing I think is "SHALLOW MOVEPOOL ALERT SHALLOW MOVEPOOL ALERT!!". But he's sturdy, I'd give you that.
    For me, Chimchar does it all the way.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    You can take any starter that you want. Nobody can say that one particular starter is probably better than the other one as it is stronger in some stat. It solely depends on what role you want the starter to play. Infernape is good on the attacking department with both attack stats at 104 base and is very speedy at 108 base speed and can overtake many others. Torterra is also good as its attack and defence are both at 109 and 105 respectively. It also has good HP and so can become a tank. It can attack specially too but its nothing compared to its physical power.Beware as it goes down fast before ICE(4x super effective!!).Its very slow.Empoleon is probably one of the most resistant pokemon because of its unique typing. It can use both physical and special attacks as it can learn swords dance for physical sweeping while it already has a good special attack at 111 base. Its really good as it can stop most of the types of pokemon because of its resistances. It has a good spdef already above 100. It has average speed.
    Thus one can never say that one starter is better than the other as all of the starters are balanced in some way.(I have used all the starters and all of them have given good results so far!) So it ultimately depends on you.:D

Years
    Over Piplup and Turtwig, i'd pick Piplup. I love both Piplup and Turtwig, but I just feel Piplup's better out of the two. As for a good nature for Piplup, i'm not sure. Sorry.

GameplayerHGSS

Back to Johto in HeartGold...!
    Years
    Ok so i think I'm gonna pick a Turtwig since it got the Adament nature so what would be a good Fire type to stick with? Let it be anything from any region, cause there are'nt too many fire types in Sinnoh rather than Magmar, Houndoom, etc.

Last edited:

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    In game teams don't matter, so just pick your favorite starter and go. We can't make you decide one thing or another, it's really up to you.

-CLOSED-

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back