• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Player Characters & Rivals: Original or Remake?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Well, it makes sense that they would be retconned to teens, as teenage protagonists have pretty much been the norm since BW. For better or worse, the fanbase is getting older (a trend that began with HGSS and has only grown since then), and 19-24 year olds tend to relate to teenage/young adult protagonists better than preteens (for obvious reasons).

Even the likes of Red and Blue are usually depicted as teenagers in fanart, nowadays, so it's only a matter of time until the games make it canon.

Vermilion's a no-go because of a certain city. As for Crimson, is that even a name? *one Google Search later* Apparently, it is, at least in Alabama.
    Technically May and Brendan are pre-teens though...as 13 is the start of teen years (hence the contradiction).

Anyways if the PC's and the Rival are 12/established to be 12/retconed to 12 then their Gen II selves would be/are 15...about as old as the Unova and Kalos PC's and Rivals look ;).

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    I must say, I prefer FRLG Blue (or better yet HGSS), but Red and Gold don't seem all that different for me to care. :P

Lyra's so cute!!! But they should've updated Kris instead. Don't see why Lyra was created.

One thing that's biased in the later games' favour is that the characters are simply better drawn than in the old ones.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    You don't get it. I speak English, so I use English names. So, "Lance" refers to the Dragon Master, not the Rocket Executive. The Rocket Executive is only "Lance" in another language that I don't speak (and he can be "Lance" in that other language, because the Dragon Master is "Wataru" there), so it isn't part of my canon.

Same goes for the Gen 1 Rival. I speak English, so he's "Blue." There isn't any canon character in ENGLISH who is "Green," so I can freely call the Kanto female PC that however often I want. (And while Adventures isn't canon, it provides a precedent for doing it.)

And, why not? Unlike "Leaf," "Green" better parallels "Red" and "Blue," and it isn't specifically tied to a specific set of remakes. (Which is very important if we want this girl to return in the next Gen 1 remakes.) Of course, I could always call her "Yellow," instead, but that might screw with the minds of Adventures fans.

Cuz its strongly tied to one person in particular. lance in another game isn't that strong, it was a retcon. I personally wont call her yellow. the parralel just isn't that strong to me.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    One thing that's biased in the later games' favour is that the characters are simply better drawn than in the old ones.

The art style has changed a lot, especially with Gens 4-6 (Gen 3 was kind of transitional). Not sure if I'm down with the huge eyes everyone has, though, to be honest...

I personally wont call her yellow. the parralel just isn't that strong to me.

Well, why do you like "Leaf" so much, then? And, do you seriously think that she would be called that in a theoretical Gen 1 remake (especially if it's of Yellow)?

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Well, why do you like "Leaf" so much, then? And, do you seriously think that she would be called that in a theoretical Gen 1 remake (especially if it's of Yellow)?

I like leaf solely for not calling her who i refer to both Green and Blue.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I like leaf solely for not calling her who i refer to both Green and Blue.

Well, "Yellow" does the same thing, too, you know. But, as I said, it's all a moot point, as this girl will probably get a completely different official name in the next remakes (if she's not outright replaced with a new character, that is).

So, you refer to the Rival with both names? Well, not everyone does that, I'm afraid. To me, he's Blue and Blue only.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Well, "Yellow" does the same thing, too, you know. But, as I said, it's all a moot point, as this girl will probably get a completely different official name in the next remakes (if she's not outright replaced with a new character, that is).

So, you refer to the Rival with both names? Well, not everyone does that, I'm afraid. To me, he's Blue and Blue only.

Its common especially with the commnuity i speak that he is referred to as Green/Blue. its not unusual either

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    To me red looks practically the same in the remake. The only thing I can say is they should of kept his hair black, but either way it doesn't really bother me.

I can't really judge Leaf's look because she never even appeared in the original games. Her design in the manga is cute, but doesn't really come off to me like a Pokemon trainer. I really love her hat lol. I think she has the best hat out of all the female protags. Something about her in FR/LG is just so mismatched yet cute.

I def like Blue's original design best. For some reason he's the most iconic looking to me something about that shirt man and those boots. Can't say I hated his new design either though as it seems more up to date. I think his latest redesign has him looking the most stylish of the trio ahaha.

There's something about original gold/ethan that I just love. Maybe it's those shorts. He does seem kinda boxy though looking at him now compared to his redesign.

I WILL ALWAYS LOVE KRIS OVER LYRA THERE IS NO COMPARISON.

Silver looked more bad ass in his original design. Especially in gsc they made that weird mullet thing going on with his hair not so apparent.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Personally, I think Kris is far better than Lyra. But then that's because Crystal was the first Pokemon game I owned.

I have still never understood why she was replaced to begin with. People like to argue that it's because "HGSS were Gold and Silver remakes, and Kris wasn't in Gold and Silver," but if that was the case, then why did Eusine, Buena's Password, ExtremeSpeed Dratini, and a bunch of other Crystal-exclusive features make the cut? Plus, last time I checked, Gold and Silver didn't have a female PC at all, so having Lyra wasn't exactly keeping things "accurate" to those games, anyways. :rolleyes2:

Back