• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playing with just 1 Pokemon

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
  • Many resets and now I have

Smeargle @ Quick Claw
    Adamant
    -- Sleep Powder
    -- Dragon Dance
    -- Spark
    -- Ice Fang

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2016
    I completed Platinum with only an Infernape. He was about Level 72 when I beat the Elite 4.

Years
  • I remember back when I was a wee little kid and I had my blue/red versions, I played through almost exclusively with my Blastoise. I remember that I couldn't read when I started to play, but I could when I finished. The other five spaces included a ratata, a pigeot (evolved at the elite four), a butterfree, an Aeorodactyl, and a ditto.

More on topic, though, I think I might try to do something on my Platinum. Added difficulty 'cuz I imported and can't read Japanese. :p

zerwey

:3
    Years
  • Bidoof is a beast with Defense Curl and Amnesia.
    Plus, he has Charge Beam, Surf, Ice Beam, and Super Fang at his disposal.

Well, yeah, you have a good point there.

And remember to cover for your Pokemon's weaknesses if you decide to solorun. I did that with Infernape:

Infernape @ Lucky Egg/Amulet Coin (useless for battle, I know)
    Flamethrower
    Mach Punch
    Grass Knot (for Bertha, the Ground-type E4)
    ThunderPunch (for water types, my worst nightmare)

xxconrad_dannixx

Relearning the Pokemon
    Years
  • Eeeep..

Well,
    I definitely did that in the original Red and Yellow for Gameboy. Diamond? Nopee. But I think that is something that I would like to try out. I don't know if it would work once you have to battle with the ELITE4 and all that, BUT it could be worth a try. xD

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    It would be pretty hard to beat the game with just one, especially since there are several types that can take advantage of your pokemon depending on what pokemon type yours is.

If I had to beat the game with just one, it would have to be in a high level.

Dragonzord

Metagame x Metamon
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2012
    i beat red with only a bulbasaur 9well, a venusaur, cuz i didnt know u could catch them b/c i didnt pay attention to the old man:p wasnt that hard.

Cyndahog

lol hi
    Years
  • It shouldn't really be done. Playing with more Pokemon makes the games easier for me IMO.

That's kinda the whole point of an Only Run, to make it more challenging.

Anyways, I went through Pokemon Silver with a Dunsparce, Diamond with a Starly, and Emerald with a Ralts.
    Diamond was semi-challenging, Silver was pretty tough, but Emerald was way to easy. Psychic and T-Bolt FTW.

zerwey

:3
    Years
  • If you really played through the game with just one Pokemon, it would be higher level than all the other Pokemon in the area.

For example, if you were raising a Piplup, Starly, Shinx, and Shellos at the same time, they would grow slower in level because they are sharing the exp.

However, if you are using just Chimchar, he would be high leveled because he gets all the exp.
    It's easy that way.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    It's easy and difficult in different ways to beat the elite with one pokemon. It's easy because if you give that pokemon an exp. share it'll grow even faster than it does since you're only training one pokemon. It's difficult if it is weak amongst a lot of other pokemon types. Although if it is a high level and even higher than the elite four levels, then you might have a chance of winning...with just one pokemon.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • It's hard at the beginning (like Roark MURDERED my Cherrim (then a Cherubi) about 20 times until I beat him). The tip is to invest all your money in Potions. Revives are waste of time as you should be using the other Pokémon at all.
    And generally, the Pokémon should be UU or NFE - because of course its going to be too easy if you use an Uber ¬¬; Besides its cooler to say you completed the whole game using Magikarp etc.

You have just given me a very good idea :P

*runs to find Ruby*

Back