• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playing with water (Mixed tier Platinum Rmt)

Detox

Alright, im new to the whole concept of weather teams, and its something Ive never done before. So yeah, this team will suck Ice. And thats why im posting this, so it wont suck Ice. Now heres the team.

Team at a Glance

Team In Detail

Electrode @ Damp Rock
    Timid Nature
    Static Ability
    252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    -Rain Dance
    -Reflect
    -Thunder
    -Light Screen / Taunt / Thunder Wave​

Paralyzes my opponet, sets up some rain and hopefully gets up some screens.I may use Taunt for leads like Aerodactyl and Azelf.​

Aerodactyl @ Damp Rock
    Jolly Nature
    Pressure Ability
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    -Rain dance
    -Earthquake
    -Aqua Tail
    -Stone Edge​

Secondary Rain Dancer. Not much else to say.​

Gorebyss @ Wise Glasses
    Modest Nature
    Swift Swim Ability
    252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Signal Beam
    -Hidden Power Electric

Okay, Im not sure I will stick with this thing, but it will do for now. Surf is for stab, Ice beam and Signal Beam for Coverage, and Hidden power Electric is mainly for Gyarados.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    Swift Swim Ability
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    -Waterfall
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage
    -Rain dance

Just a regular Double dance Kingdra, here to wreak havoc. Waterfall and Outrage for stab, DD for powering up and Rain dance to make sure I always go first.

Floatzel @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
    Jolly Nature / Adamant Nature
    Swift Swim Ability
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4HP
    -Bulk Up
    -Waterfall
    -Ice Punch
    -Brick Break / Aqua Jet

Having a hard time figuring out what item and nature to run with this thing. Bulk up gives me more physical..um...Bulk while raising my attack. Waterfall is STAB, and Ice punch and brick break are for coverage.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    Swift Swim Ability
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4HP
    -Swords Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Seed Bomb
    -Ice Punch

Physical Ludicolo. SD is for attack gain, while Waterfall and Seed bomb are STAB, and Ice punch is for coverage.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2009
    Before I say anything about the pokemon, here are some stuff that you should be concerned about:

1. Item clauses--your opponent may not mention an item clause rule (no two pokemon can hold the same item), because it is expected. More than one of your pokemon are holding Life Orbs, and a Life Orb is a recognizable item, and it drastically affects the outcome of battles, so be wary of that. It's best to just ask your opponent are there any item clause rules before he battles, or state no item clause rule. I would say that just in case your opponent has item clause rules, think of alternative items for them to hold.
    2. Another thing is that your team does not have any defenses, such as walls or pokemon that can take hits. But a good team does not always have to have a wall or a defensive pokemon. There are counters to your team, such as a Trick Room team.

***But good thing is about a rain dance team, if your opponent doesn't have a counter, they are pretty much screwed. The rain makes water pokes really fast, and they will take hordes of damage. The bad thing you have to worry about is electric pokemon with Thunder. If you don't KO them with Rain Dance is active, they may KO you, if they have Thunder.

The Electrode looks pretty good. It should outspeed most pokemon, especially Aerodactyl, due to a max of 416 Speed. I would say go with Taunt on Electrode's last move slot, due to the fact that most battles I been in or seen had a leader setting up traps or afflicting a status, such as "bad poison" (Toxic). I also like Reflect and the Rain Dance/Thunder combo. I am a defensive battler (most of the time), and I like playing it safe. I'd say his moveset is pretty cool.

I like the fact that Aerodactyl is another rain dancer, just in case your opponent changes the weather or it ends and Electrode's fainted. It should give your team (your water types) some power. And his moveset covers a variety of types.

Gorebyss is also cool, I wouldn't say great, but it covers itself though, and it may do. I'll test it out. It has wise glasses and a modest nature, which is a plus. The bad side is that she is really slow, and with a modest nature, it's max speed is only 203. (But Swift Swim will improve that, so she probably can outspeed pokemon with speeds in the 200s) But she has pretty good defenses though, which can cause her to survive the opponent's hit before she attacks. Speed isn't everything though, but yeah, test her out.

About Kingdra, my brother has that Kingdra on his team too. With a rain dance, his Kingdra is very fast, and does lots of damage, mainly one-hit kills with its waterfall. And Outrage on it should be pretty powerful. The bad thing is the confusion after it. If Kingdra is still alive and is confused, and if it hurts itself, it may give your opponent a chance to turn the battle around or kill Kingdra.

My brother also has this Floatzel and it's GOOD! It outspeeds most pokes, especially with rain dance. I would say put Focus Sash on it. That's how you can use at least one Bulk Up before you start making it attack, and you are guaranteed that Floatzel will survive, unless Floatzel is badly damaged and saved by Focus Sash in a turn, then your opponent does a Quick Attack or Extremespeed.

I have also seen this Ludicolio before (without the Ice Punch), and it is very annoying. It should do pretty good.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Before I say anything about the pokemon, here are some stuff that you should be concerned about:

1. Item clauses--your opponent may not mention an item clause rule (no two pokemon can hold the same item), because it is expected. More than one of your pokemon are holding Life Orbs, and a Life Orb is a recognizable item, and it drastically affects the outcome of battles, so be wary of that. It's best to just ask your opponent are there any item clause rules before he battles, or state no item clause rule. I would say that just in case your opponent has item clause rules, think of alternative items for them to hold.
    Does anyone even use that anymore?

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Before I say anything about the pokemon, here are some stuff that you should be concerned about:

2. Another thing is that your team does not have any defenses, such as walls or pokemon that can take hits. But a good team does not always have to have a wall or a defensive pokemon. There are counters to your team, such as a Trick Room team.

***But good thing is about a rain dance team, if your opponent doesn't have a counter, they are pretty much screwed. The rain makes water pokes really fast, and they will take hordes of damage. The bad thing you have to worry about is electric pokemon with Thunder. If you don't KO them with Rain Dance is active, they may KO you, if they have Thunder.

The Electrode looks pretty good. It should outspeed most pokemon, especially Aerodactyl, due to a max of 416 Speed. I would say go with Taunt on Electrode's last move slot, due to the fact that most battles I been in or seen had a leader setting up traps or afflicting a status, such as "bad poison" (Toxic). I also like Reflect and the Rain Dance/Thunder combo. I am a defensive battler (most of the time), and I like playing it safe. I'd say his moveset is pretty cool.

I like the fact that Aerodactyl is another rain dancer, just in case your opponent changes the weather or it ends and Electrode's fainted. It should give your team (your water types) some power. And his moveset covers a variety of types.

Gorebyss is also cool, I wouldn't say great, but it covers itself though, and it may do. I'll test it out. It has wise glasses and a modest nature, which is a plus. The bad side is that she is really slow, and with a modest nature, it's max speed is only 203. (But Swift Swim will improve that, so she probably can outspeed pokemon with speeds in the 200s) But she has pretty good defenses though, which can cause her to survive the opponent's hit before she attacks. Speed isn't everything though, but yeah, test her out.

About Kingdra, my brother has that Kingdra on his team too. With a rain dance, his Kingdra is very fast, and does lots of damage, mainly one-hit kills with its waterfall. And Outrage on it should be pretty powerful. The bad thing is the confusion after it. If Kingdra is still alive and is confused, and if it hurts itself, it may give your opponent a chance to turn the battle around or kill Kingdra.

My brother also has this Floatzel and it's GOOD! It outspeeds most pokes, especially with rain dance. I would say put Focus Sash on it. That's how you can use at least one Bulk Up before you start making it attack, and you are guaranteed that Floatzel will survive, unless Floatzel is badly damaged and saved by Focus Sash in a turn, then your opponent does a Quick Attack or Extremespeed.

I have also seen this Ludicolio before (without the Ice Punch), and it is very annoying. It should do pretty good.

I certainly appreciate the effort, but this isn't really a proper rate. You summarize what you think about some of the movesets, but how "cool" you think something is doesn't really matter, and we all know how each moveset works. The goal of the team rating process is to help the original poster make changes to fix problems on his or her team. I would read some of the rate in other RMT threads to get an idea of what you should post.

Also, nobody uses item clause and Trick Room teams will have a lot of trouble setting up on a Rain Dance sweeping team. Not to mention that those are rare as well.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2009
    I did not know that stuff was outdated, especially since it still goes on with a lot of people on the wifi chat rooms I battle on, so it isn't like I always battle locally. I just thought that people just don't care what items you use on pokes. But there are still people out there that does state item clause when they ask for a battle. For example, my friend battled someone and the opponent gotten mad when two of his pokes had a focus sash, which I think was messed up too.

It's probably a newer thing that isn't everywhere yet. It's a effort on my part, and a fault, but I learned from this though.

Just delete my post. I read the rules, but probably misunderstood or just gotten too relaxed.

Last edited:

Detox

Um, now does anyone have any actual advice they could give me on the team?

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Not enough Sp.Attacking power.

Replace Ludicolo/Floatzel with this:

Omastar @ Choice Specs
    Modest
    Swift Swim
    252SpAtk/252Spe/6Hp
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -HP Grass
    -AncientPower

Bread and butter..But a brilliant SpAttacker in rain... May want to go Hydro pump > Surf for extra power..But with STAB/Specs/Rain ... The acc is much more helpful.

That's all I can think of.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Not enough Sp.Attacking power.

Replace Ludicolo/Floatzel with this:

Omastar @ Choice Specs
    Modest
    Swift Swim
    252SpAtk/252Spe/6Hp
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -HP Grass
    -AncientPower
    There's already a slow special attacker on that team. (One that's not 4x weak to grass and doesn't need to worry about non-STAB Ground attacks). Ludicolo is pretty near essential to this team (assuming a DIFFERENT niche) although it could go without Floatzel.

(And what is Kingdra going to sweep with Waterfall?) Ludicolo needs to play out a stallish moveset with Substitute/Grass Knot/Ice Beam or Toxic/whatever.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2011
    You don't need 3 rain dancers, you want somebody who resists/is immune to/absorbs electric attacks (ground type, EVire/Jolt) apart from electrode, and you want taunt+explosion on electrode so he doesn't get in the way later.

Beginnings

thx tom-san for banner/avvy
    Years
  • Um, I agree that you lack Special Attacking power, you should consider changing Ludicolo to:
    Ludicolo @ Life Orb/Damp Rock
    Modest Nature
    Swift Swim
    4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Energy Ball
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Rain Dance / Focus Punch

Since you already have three rain dancers, focus punch can be used rather than rain dance, I think this set is a little more solid than the physical one, it seems rather novel to me, and this Ludicolo will give the team some much needed Special Attack power.

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Thou Pokedra Review

Introduction

Alright, im new to the whole concept of weather teams, and its something Ive never done before. So yeah, this team will suck Ice. And thats why im posting this, so it wont suck Ice. Now heres the team.

Team at a Glance

Team In Detail

Electrode @ Damp Rock
    Timid Nature
    Static Ability
    252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    -Rain Dance
    -Reflect
    -Thunder
    -Light Screen

Paralyzes my opponet, sets up some rain and hopefully gets up some screens.I may use Taunt for leads like Aerodactyl and Azelf.

Stick with Light Screen for dual protection as all your team is fast and with rain your team is even faster so TWave really isn't needed. Getting both screens up will benefit all sweepers more.

Aerodactyl @ Damp Rock
    Jolly Nature
    Pressure Ability
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    -Rain dance
    -Earthquake
    -Stealth Rock
    -Stone Edge​

Secondary Rain Dancer. Not much else to say.

Earthquake already hits Fire/Rock types so Aqua Tail isn't needed. You could switch Earthquake with Aqua Tail if you wanted to though =/

Gorebyss @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
    Modest Nature
    Swift Swim Ability
    252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Signal Beam
    -Hidden Power Electric

Okay, Im not sure I will stick with this thing, but it will do for now. Surf is for stab, Ice beam and Signal Beam for Coverage, and Hidden power Electric is mainly for Gyarados.

Use Specs or Life Orb, Wise Glasses only offers a 10% boost which isn't really good enough for such a powerful metagame.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    Swift Swim Ability
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    -Waterfall
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage
    -Rain dance

Just a regular Double dance Kingdra, here to wreak havoc. Waterfall and Outrage for stab, DD for powering up and Rain dance to make sure I always go first.

Good. GO KINGDRA!!! ^__^

Floatzel @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    Swift Swim Ability
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4HP
    -Bulk Up
    -Waterfall
    -Ice Punch
    -Brick Break

Having a hard time figuring out what item and nature to run with this thing. Bulk up gives me more physical..um...Bulk while raising my attack. Waterfall is STAB, and Ice punch and brick break are for coverage.

Go with Life Orb for the power though I suppose Focus Sash is ok....Adamnt because Floatzel is fast already and in the rain is faster then Deoxys-S so Adamant shall give you some extra power. Brick Break over Aqua Jet.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
    Modest Nature
    Swift Swim Ability
    252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4HP
    -Hydro Pump/Surf
    -Grass Knot/Energy Ball
    -Ice Beam
    -Rain Dance

Physical Ludicolo. SD is for attack gain, while Waterfall and Seed bomb are STAB, and Ice punch is for coverage.

Special Ludicolo shall give you a solid special attacker as Gorebyss is your only one right now.
    Comments in bold.

~Where is Kabutops?? It's an abomination not to use him on a Rain Team. Ahh...well just consider him over Floatzel. Otherwise good team :D

Back