• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Please Help!

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    So I just bought Souls Silver and I was looking at my friend's version and his and mine are very different. His front sticker is silver and mine is blue and his cartridge is black and mine is gray. Here are pictures of the front and back. Thanks for the help in advance.

Years
  • Since I have a SoulSilver cartridge of my own (except mine's an Australian copy and has some slight differences) I took a good look at it and compared it to your pic and I know my cartridge is identical to the one on the right in your pics (I know Diamond/Pearl/Platinum's cartridges are a dark grey, but HeartGold/SoulSilver and the 5th Gen games are black) so I have a feeling the left cartridge might be a bootleg I think.

I do know the one on the right is the legitimate cartridge, since mine is a legitimate copy as well.

Years
  • I just compared them and the one on the right is pretty much like mine. Mine has around gold thing and CE instead of E.

Your is a bit weird though. I dont recall seeing a gray SS cartridge, with such blue artwork (on the other hand, I havent seen that many though)
    What I did notice that all my genuine cartidges have this clean cut on the sticker on the lower left bottom while yours is kinda oval.

Are you able to play it normally? Have you tried trading?
    If its all okay then you're probably alright.

Years
  • Saw this online:
    Please Help!

Looks like the left one is a bootleg. Sorry :/ I had the same problem once. I accidentally bought a copy of Sapphire that was bootleg. It can be hard to tell sometimes, so make sure when you buy pokemon games, especially if they are cartridge only, check the fine details and compare it to pictures online

Years
  • Basically, as the above posters said, it's all but confirmed the cartridge on the left in your pics is a bootleg while the right is the genuine one.

Years
  • What does a bootleg do? Does it run at all?
    Bootlegs are just illegal copies of pokemon games, sold by people to trick players and collectors into giving them easy profit. As for if it works, it depends on the quality of the bootleg. My Sapphire bootleg ran fine, but the cartridge was a bit off and every time i started up the game, i got a little error message. I was still able to play through the game just fine on my GBA.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    Well I have some good news and bad news. I got my money back from Soul Silver so yay! The bad news is that I bought all 5 Gen 3 games for a Christmas gift for my brother who wanted to start playing Pokemon, and guess what. All 5 are bootlegs and it is gonna be harder to get my money back on these so I'm out $60. I'm so mad that people would be mean enough to do that. So I guess my question would be; where can I get these games for a good price, or is there a forum on here where people sell their games? Or is there a forum that could help me out in any way? Maybe someone will be in the Christmas spirit and help out someone who keeps getting screwed over lol

Years
  • Honestly, it has a lot to do with luck. Using Ebay is really tricky and if you're buying it from a site such as Ebay, make sure you're buying from someone who is reliable, and by reliable, I mean someone who had 100s of trades with rating 95(if not higher)-100.
    I got my games from the local ebay-like site, so I didnt have to pay for all the shipping expenses. Good side of this is the communication is easier, chances you will get what you want are higher, and th last and the most important ones, you'll get it for cheap. Downside is it took me forever to get the games. I was checking the websites regularly for a year or longer to get games such as Yellow and Crystal and even Emerald. Newer games are easier to find, but are more expensive.
    I got all my games really cheaply, but it took me a really long time. They are wanted so they disappear in a day. In the past year, I've seen only one Pokemon White 2 which is next on my buying list, and it vanished from the site in like few hours lol. Still waiting for the cheaper one though.

tl;dr : Try buying it from a local store, or ask on website forums,social networks, ebay-like sites if someone is selling the games. Good luck!

Back