• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Please rate (not a newbie)

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
  • First I'll just say, I know this seems like a really newbie thread to make but since the Pixel Art section doesn't have a pixel art rating thread I've had to make one just for this small piece. Once a few people have rated it this can be locked.

PeekyChew-1.png

Which of these three is best and what do you think of it?

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
    Years
  • I like the last one the best.
    The first one isn't so good-the colors just don't fit...
    And the second one is too...dark and rough, with the black shading.

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Hey, what's wrong with being a newbie? :P

Now.. I'd give all of this a 3/10. There is simply alot of room for improvement, and everything looks too flat and generic.

First of all, the letters.

PhotobucketUpld-1327.png

I would advice firstly to give all the borders inside the letter sprites who are facing us some texture, as in, giving them lighter lines instead of dark ones. (2)

Not only that, but the lines seem all jagged. Some Anti-aliasing would work well in this. Here (3), I gave the inner ligher lines some AA.

Now, those thick dark outlines were the ones causing most trouble on this. When removed, I could now lighten the top outlines as they were the ones recieving most light. (4) Note the darker looking AAing at the bottom lines too.

Also note, when joining the letters, dark outlines should not overlap; this done for a smoother effect. (5)

And last, brought the thick outlines back in case it was intended as a cartoony effect. Also added AA to the inner parts of the outlines. (6) Just remember that the ballons would need the thick effect too, if it really was intended.

And for the ballons, well.. They might need some more contrast between the 2 inner shades, to make them noticeable, and less saturation too. Perhaps a highlight on the top for a shiny effect.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • Wow, I never expected to get this much help!
    I've never used anti anialising (let alone heard of it) but using it really has worked a lot. The thick outlines were for a cartoony effect so I'm keeping them. I've implemented the changes you said about as much as I can from just the one C, so here's an image compariing the old blue one and the new one:
    PeekyChewcomparison.png

The balloons I haven't changed yet, but I will. I didn't really know what to do with the middles of the E's and P so I just AAd them a little and left the middle the same. When I was working on it I also noticed a few pixel errors which have been fixed. There is still a lot of improvement to be done, I can see that, but I'm really happy with the outcome. Thanks :D

And I know being a newbie isn't bad, but people might not view the thread if they think it's yet another "newbie" thread.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Number three. Fixing them like you've fixed the blue would of course be a major improvement.
    Also - Nitrome?

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • HEY! There's nothing wrong with being a newbie ^_^ We were all one at one time.

Anyhow, Smash seemed to sum it up pretty good. But implementing his advice, there are a couple of little things i noticed.

On the front facing plane of the "Y" as well as the bottom stem of the "K" the left border is done in the dark toned outline. But looking at the other letters, the left border is shaded in the light toned outline color. It's an inconsistancy in your shading that gives it an un-uniform look.

As for your "P" and "E" the inside is good, but a bit illoigcal. Instead of filling the top of the inside fully with the dark tone, instead just extend the other two planes all the way back. Just leave a one pixel width outline on the top. Also, the bottom outlining should be lightened because the light is shining directly on it (refer to smash's post "C" #4). Both the side outlines look good though.

Just some thoughts ^_^

Keep Spriting!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Hey great work and fanatsic effort first of all,
    second I like the second and third one but the first,
    The colours dont fit together smoothly but hey I like what you have done with no. 2 n 3..! Great work! ;)

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • i like all of them, but i like the one the most is the second one, i like them all they're really good ^_^ keep going awesome work

Back