• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pointless Buildings?

Romeo_Delight.exe

ロミオの歓喜!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 9, 2016
    I know we've all seen em, little houses with no doors.....sometimes no windows even.
    What are you guy's thoughts on these,lol?

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Lol, I have no opinion on them really, they're just there to add to the scenery. Plus the cities wouldn't look as city-like if they only had a Pokémon Centre, a Pokémart and a Gym in them haha.

Would be nice if you could enter every house but then it'd also be time consuming because they don't all have items/people you can speak to in them.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    honestly they are just there to make up the surroundings such as being in a city, well it needs to have some buildings

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    In all the games, we can only see "south" side of all the buildings; everything is from the bottom-up. I've always just imagined that the buildings without doors or windows are buildings that face "north" instead of "south," so we just can't see the entrances from our perspective. (And our little OW sprite for some reason doesn't want to enter any houses from the north side, which is why we can't get into them. There must be some super-rare phobia for houses with doors facing north. :P) Of course, that doesn't explain doorless houses with a north side that's up against a wall or a row of trees, but it works for the rest.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    I guess they're there to fill up empty spaces. It would be pretty boring walking through cities with just 2 buildings in it wouldn't it?

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    In all the games, we can only see "south" side of all the buildings; everything is from the bottom-up. I've always just imagined that the buildings without doors or windows are buildings that face "north" instead of "south," so we just can't see the entrances from our perspective.

I agree with you if you're saying that we're meant to think that the entrance to the house is at the back and we can't see it, but in reality it doesn't actually exist. However, if you're saying that there are doors at the back of the houses, I have to disagree with you. If that was the case, we'd be able to enter them. We were able to enter the back of that apartment in Celadon City to get the Eevee, weren't we?

But I don't want to spend all day debating about topics neither of us really care about, so I'll just answer the question at hand.

They are only there for decoration. There are some that existed in the beta of the game but were taken out for unknown reasons (like a house in Cianwood City, where one could find a man and a Farfetch'd and talk to them), but for the most part, they're there to make the area look convincing. Would Saffron City look good with just Silph. Co, Sabrina's Gym, the dojo, a Pokémon Centre and a Mart? No.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    I agree with you if you're saying that we're meant to think that the entrance to the house is at the back and we can't see it, but in reality it doesn't actually exist. However, if you're saying that there are doors at the back of the houses, I have to disagree with you. If that was the case, we'd be able to enter them. We were able to enter the back of that apartment in Celadon City to get the Eevee, weren't we?

Oh, no, I'm not saying we can go into them! I meant that we're supposed to think that there are back entrances, but there aren't really. Don't worry, I know the difference between the Celadon Mansion's real back door and the imaginary "back doors" on unaccessible buildings.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    They're there to make it look like a city. I will say Goldenrod overdoes it a bit though... So many buildings... ._.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Just give 'em doors, I say. Otherwise, thy are annoying.

I don't get why you're annoyed by this. As far as I know, they're just there to make it look like scenery, and maybe because Game Freak wasn't willing to make thousands of houses. I mean, they'd run out of dialogue eventually.

What's the difference between a house made for scenery and a random tree sitting in the middle of nowhere? Do trees annoy you as well?

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    I just wish that there was doors for these 'scenery houses'. I just want to know what's inside them.

Back